"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #1351
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,135
Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

Love the little rock garden, GG! And what pretty mountain pics, Kayelle!

Here are my refrigerator pickles, using Steve Kroll's recipe:
Attachment 21545
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #1352
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,896
Yummmmm.......
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #1353
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,135
Thanks K! It will be hard to wait the 5 to 7 days to taste them!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #1354
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,292
GG, that is one fine looking garden! BTW, if you need more rocks I'd be happy to send some to you (at your cost, of course ). I swear there are Rock Fairies up here who fly over the yard every winter, spreading rock seeds everywhere, which sprout up new rocks the following spring when I go to dig.

Dawg, those pickles look yummy already. Resist, resist!
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #1355
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
GG, that is one fine looking garden! BTW, if you need more rocks I'd be happy to send some to you (at your cost, of course ). I swear there are Rock Fairies up here who fly over the yard every winter, spreading rock seeds everywhere, which sprout up new rocks the following spring when I go to dig.

Dawg, those pickles look yummy already. Resist, resist!
CG, there is an old story about a New England farmer. A neighbor asks him what does he do for a living. The farmer replies, "I farm."

"Oh, what do you farm?"

"Rocks" replies the farmer.

How do you think we got all those stone walls?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:26 AM   #1356
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,292
Addie, I'll buy that story! Funny thing is Ohio has a lot of stone walls too, and I never had such large crops of rocks in either of those two yards back there. We built all three houses in what had been wooded areas too. These must be special multiplying rocks.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:39 AM   #1357
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, I'll buy that story! Funny thing is Ohio has a lot of stone walls too, and I never had such large crops of rocks in either of those two yards back there. We built all three houses in what had been wooded areas too. These must be special multiplying rocks.
All of those rocks are part of the Allegheny Mountains before they were worn down over time the millenniums. I love stone walls. Poo lived in a house where the stone walls surrounding the property were built during Colonial times. It was covered with growth and a lot of wild flowers. That growth kept the rocks in place. You couldn't even pick up one of the top ones.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #1358
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
All of those rocks are part of the Allegheny Mountains before they were worn down over time the millenniums. I love stone walls. Poo lived in a house where the stone walls surrounding the property were built during Colonial times. It was covered with growth and a lot of wild flowers. That growth kept the rocks in place. You couldn't even pick up one of the top ones.
Actually, those rocks are known as glacial drift - debris left behind by glaciers as they melted and retreated north. Sediment worn down from mountains by erosion is mostly sand and some pebbles.

More info: http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/10af.html
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #1359
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
I always find it interesting to discover the geology in the places I live. Even though I am not a geologist, I still understand enough to see and know why certain things are the way they are. Like the horizontal lines on our mountains...they are the shorelines from when our valley was a glacial lake.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #1360
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I always find it interesting to discover the geology in the places I live. Even though I am not a geologist, I still understand enough to see and know why certain things are the way they are. Like the horizontal lines on our mountains...they are the shorelines from when our valley was a glacial lake.
Me, too. DH and I grew up in Michigan and met going to college at Eastern Mich. University. He was a junior majoring in geology and I had to take a year of science classes, so guess what? I chose Earth science! He also was a meteorologist and oceanographer in the Navy and taught Earth science, oceanography and meteorology as a high school teacher. He's taught me a lot about those topics over the years.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.