Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Northeastern Colorado is covered with them. The photo above and this one were shot within 5 miles of our house.

i-FFgtr5b-XL.jpg

They built a wind farm out in the middle of Nantucket Sound. This was during the times the farms were still in the experimental stage. Walter Cronkite had a home right on the waterfront. When it was time to decide if the farm was to stay or go, he spoke up at the citizens meeting. He stated that "the wind farm was destroying his view." Someone on the panel looked at him and asked him what was he viewing. "The water." was his answer. The room broke out in laughter. He had the whole Atlantic Ocean to look at and the poles were far enough apart so that the ferries coming from the mainland could easily get through with plenty of room to spare. The more he answered their questions, the more ridiculous his answers got. The wind farm is still there. Thank you Walter. The Islands now have secure electricity and don't have to worry about a blackout.

We have a couple of them just down the street from this building for the oil farms and other commercial buildings along that side of the highway. I love to go up to my daughter's home on a windy and watch them spin like mad. And they do make a lot of noise when they are spinning!

...When you look at the detail in the photo you start to get a feel for the size of these suckers. This is a panorama created from 5 exposures...
That is a great series of shots, Rick, and a fine editing job, too. When we collected our son and his belongings from AZ and drove to OH, we traveled through CO on I-70. As huge as the turbines looked at first glance, I was surprised at how they grew and grew the closer we got to them. And we never were close to them! Amazing.

They built wanted to build a wind farm out in the middle of Nantucket Sound...
There, Addie, I fixed it for ya. :mrgreen:

Cape Wind had been attempting to build a wind farm since the early 2000s. The project was never even started, so there are no turbines in the Sound. From this August, 2016 article in the Cape Cod Times, it looks like they have all but given up. "In what might be the most definitive sign that Cape Wind officials have given up on the long-running and seemingly unattainable dream of building a wind farm in Nantucket Sound, the company has moved to dismiss its appeal seeking to extend state permits to connect the project to the electric grid."

If you want all the legal gobbledygook, there is this statement from the MA Bureau of Ocean Energy Management you can read. :wacko:

This evening's sunset. Grabbed a shot with my phone when I went out to get the mail.
img_1511559_0_7eaee8662f60bec6112ecfb60a8ca241.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful, GG. Love the view of sunsets from around the country. Need to find my camera. Shrek "put it away" somewhere...

Lovely sunsets, ladies! We have some beauties here too, but we have to peer through the woods to see them, or get in the car.

Thank you, ladies. :) GG....holy cow, that is a beautiful pic. How lucky your inlaws are to live on a lakeshore!

Dawg....I get a clear view of sunsets from my home, but sunrises are another story. Like you, too many trees - I keep telling myself one day I'm going to walk down to the end of the street to get a pic of the sunrise, but I'm not exactly an early morning person. :rolleyes::LOL:

I'm not sure if I've posted this before, but here is a sunset pic from a pond just down the block from my house. My fishin' hole, as it were:

Attachments

• 0725162033a_HDR.jpg
    0725162033a_HDR.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 97
In addition to cooking (and food) I do a little woodworking for fun. I spent the afternoon working on a shoe bench that I'm building to go at the foot of our bed. I think the point of this thread is to post 1 (one) "random" photo, but I'm going to post a few:

1. Just starting to glue things together, here. The legs are on and the basic structure is in place. (The project is upside down for the purposes of gluing).

2qRuhBr.jpg

2. Starting to attach the trim on the front side. This will make it look more "finished"....

doah9OW.jpg

4. The sanding is now complete, and it's ready for stain. (Nice photo of the bench right-side-up, front view)....

DBNTckv.jpg

5. This is me. Staining has begun. (Bench is up on one end to make it easier)...

9zPCX3h.jpg

6. Stain has been applied and is now drying (This is from today)....

(Back view)

sPw6Dcn.jpg

(nice photo of the top and left side)

SEoi0fA.jpg

(front view)

undefined.jpg

(right side)

WuEt49P.jpg

Tomorrow I start the process of applying lacquer for the final finish.

That is a great job. Looks so pretty. I love the slots for the shoes. That is a nice touch I have never seen for a shoe bench. Are you going to put a cushion on the top for sitting?

Back
Top Bottom