Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great pictures as always, Rick. I like the camper...and the second set of doors on the truck. If Himself and I were camping, I could always pick up my pillows and sleep in the truck when he lets loose with his snoring. :LOL: ~ And aren't those barn quilts something? We get to see quite a few when we visit our kids, since our daughter's condo (AKA our Bed and Breakfast Inn) is right on the edge of Amish Country.

...my wife wants to put something over it to protect the wood from scratching. As far as I'm concerned, it's made to be used and if it scratches, it will just add character.
I'm on your side of this discussion, ixamnis, even though that doesn't amount to much. :LOL: We bought our first (and only purchased) dining table set when our kids were a mere 18 months old. I wanted a real wood top. Himself wanted Formica. "Wood will scratch". Well, yeah, but it's one of the ingredients of memories. :heart:

We ended up with Formica...and after the first scratch, the table has worn some type of protective table covering ever since. *sigh* Wish I had argued my point more strongly. You could always start with no cushion...and add it if the top gets scratched too much. ;)

I haven't checked here in a while, and I'm loving all the pictures of the sunsets, kids and projects!

Our house faces our 2,000 ft. South Mountain, and when the sun sets over the Pacific, it turns South Mountain pink. I've tried to capture the moment without luck, so here's a picture of my pretty succulent garden on the front porch.

img_1512079_0_859cb005816ec7e12c7c35e34994ba07.jpg
Nice. My succulent garden is getting drowned today with all the rain. This is from last weekend.
0520171730_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on your side of this discussion, ixamnis, even though that doesn't amount to much. :LOL: We bought our first (and only purchased) dining table set when our kids were a mere 18 months old. I wanted a real wood top. Himself wanted Formica. "Wood will scratch". Well, yeah, but it's one of the ingredients of memories. :heart:

We ended up with Formica...and after the first scratch, the table has worn some type of protective table covering ever since. *sigh* Wish I had argued my point more strongly. You could always start with no cushion...and add it if the top gets scratched too much. ;)

Honestly, if the wood got scratched "too much," I could always sand it down and refinish it, as well.

Nice camping set up you've got there, Rick - and I LOVED the pics of the barn quilts!

Pretty succulent garden, GG. :)

Some photos from last week's camping trip to Iowa. My wife wanted to search out some of the barn quilts of Grundy County. Using the map from their website and the GPS in the F-150, we found 22 there, plus a few more the next couple of days in areas outside of Grundy County.

What they are is quilt patterns painted on barns - I'd never heard of them until Kendra started talking about wanting to see them. The idea began in Ohio, and has been repeated in several farming regions through the midwest.

Our first stop was in NE Nebraska at Willow Creek State Rec Area:

i-73Ftc4G-XL.jpg

Then a few of the barns:

i-RLcwNJh-XL.jpg

i-NsC9hh9-XL.jpg

i-ZcW5QQ2-XL.jpg

i-GpRjNXj-XL.jpg
If you went from Pierce to Iowa you were within 20 miles of my place.

Those bars are beautiful. Sounds like a great camping trip. Would love to be able to do the same. I love the pictures you post. You are one great photographer.

From my cousin's backyard. Aren't they adorable? She used a really good camera.
ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1496020828.508854.jpg

Thanks! I take no credit, other than we are related. To the photographer, not to the baby owls.

Last edited:
Your cousin's neighbors are so cute, Dawg! They look like small owls, too. I wonder if they're screech owls. They sure look like they could be:

Screech-Owl-Babies.jpg

We've heard a screech owl in our woods this spring. We haven't been lucky enough to see it, though. In spite of their name, their call really sounds more like a warble, or maybe the call of a small primate. Not screechy.

We had the field of rye by my house cut the other day. The boys enjoyed running around in it. A year ago Jasper would have broke out all over. Its makes me so happy most all his allergies are gone. FB_IMG_1496491294491.jpgFB_IMG_1496491332571.jpg

Farmer Jon, it's good that Jake can get out and play without worrying about itching, sneezing, and all the other allergy-like things that happen. I'm sure he'll be playing outside a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom