Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you have one sent to me by Sunday for mine.:ohmy::LOL: 60th that is? :wacko:

Happy Birthday...a little early. I think by the time it got to you it would resemble more of a funny bone (peanut buttercream filling)

I envy you...I had to wait 7 years for Zach and I've been begging them to have another but so far it has fallen on deaf ears...
I am Jewish...became observant much later in life so both my kids, although they support my choice, do not follow it. My daughter however, has allowed me to take Zach every Sabbath since birth...the first month she stayed with him at my house until he could take breast milk from a bottle.
He's four now and I call him my energizer bunny...if I'm tired or in pain, one hug from him and it's all gone. It's so cute when he kisses my hips to make them better....:heart::heart::heart:

I had five kids. Just when I got the last one out the door, my youngest daughter was murdered and left five kids. At first I took four of her kids, but it got to be just too much for me. So I had to sign the paper for the youngest three to be adopted. It broke my heart, but I was friends with both families, so I knew I would still have them in my life. I would babysit them whenever they needed a babysitter. The oldest one stayed with me and I finished raising her. When she got married, I would babysit her daughter. She had three kids and now lives in NH.

It was harder raising her alone, than it was with all four. I was not only dealing with my own grief, but trying to get the both of us through it all. Everyday I am so thankful she had her Siamese cat Tasha to talk to. And I also bought her a diary so she could write her thoughts in it.

You know how kids will say stupid things like, I hate my mother, I wish she was dead? Well when my granddaughter would hear kids say that in school, it would destroy her. Too many times I had to leave work and go get her, take her home and calm her down. Counseling was of no help. Finally I had to have her home schooled. She graduated on the Honor Roll.

I don't get to see my grandchildren too often. Traveling is presently very difficult for me. Stairs are impossible. I presently have three children that live just a couple of blocks from me. One lives with me, and is a great help, the second one a boy also stops by twice a day to see if I need anything, and my daughter and her two children are within distance of my scooter.

I had five kids. Just when I got the last one out the door, my youngest daughter was murdered and left five kids. At first I took four of her kids, but it got to be just too much for me. So I had to sign the paper for the youngest three to be adopted. It broke my heart, but I was friends with both families, so I knew I would still have them in my life. I would babysit them whenever they needed a babysitter. The oldest one stayed with me and I finished raising her. When she got married, I would babysit her daughter. She had three kids and now lives in NH.

It was harder raising her alone, than it was with all four. I was not only dealing with my own grief, but trying to get the both of us through it all. Everyday I am so thankful she had her Siamese cat Tasha to talk to. And I also bought her a diary so she could write her thoughts in it.

You know how kids will say stupid things like, I hate my mother, I wish she was dead? Well when my granddaughter would hear kids say that in school, it would destroy her. Too many times I had to leave work and go get her, take her home and calm her down. Counseling was of no help. Finally I had to have her home schooled. She graduated on the Honor Roll.

I don't get to see my grandchildren too often. Traveling is presently very difficult for me. Stairs are impossible. I presently have three children that live just a couple of blocks from me. One lives with me, and is a great help, the second one a boy also stops by twice a day to see if I need anything, and my daughter and her two children are within distance of my scooter.

Losing a child...so against the natural order of things...I can't even begin to imagine your pain. You were so blessed to have her children as a part of her to remain.
You're very lucky to have most of your kids so close by. How nice that you have a son so concerned...not usually the norm.
I have a son, not likely I will get any grandchildren from him...he thinks a long term relationship is a three day weekend. He has been great since I've been home about doing anything I ask of him...but he's not one to initiate.
My daughter is just the opposite...I think she was my reward for not killing my son...he was quite the handful growing up.
My son-in-law...what a blessing he is for our family. Wonderful husband, wonderful father. When he brings Zach over on Friday (my daughter works), he will spend and hour or more just hanging out and talking with me...same thing when he picks Zach up. They have been together since my daughter was 17 and they are truly soulmates. I didn't like him in the beginning. He made my daughter cry when they first started dating (nearly 18 years ago). I forbid him on the property and told him I had a gun, knew how to use it and if I saw him on my property, he was a dead man. To his credit, he stuck it out...and after a year I forgave him and allowed him back on the property but he was terrified of me for nearly a decade....:LOL:

Losing a child...so against the natural order of things...I can't even begin to imagine your pain. You were so blessed to have her children as a part of her to remain.
You're very lucky to have most of your kids so close by. How nice that you have a son so concerned...not usually the norm.
I have a son, not likely I will get any grandchildren from him...he thinks a long term relationship is a three day weekend. He has been great since I've been home about doing anything I ask of him...but he's not one to initiate.
My daughter is just the opposite...I think she was my reward for not killing my son...he was quite the handful growing up.
My son-in-law...what a blessing he is for our family. Wonderful husband, wonderful father. When he brings Zach over on Friday (my daughter works), he will spend and hour or more just hanging out and talking with me...same thing when he picks Zach up. They have been together since my daughter was 17 and they are truly soulmates. I didn't like him in the beginning. He made my daughter cry when they first started dating (nearly 18 years ago). I forbid him on the property and told him I had a gun, knew how to use it and if I saw him on my property, he was a dead man. To his credit, he stuck it out...and after a year I forgave him and allowed him back on the property but he was terrified of me for nearly a decade....:LOL:

My grandson has a 16 y.o. daughter. When she was allowed to start dating, she HAD to bring home her very first date. Her father was sitting at the kitchen table and she brought her BF into the kitchen. Her father was sitting there cleaning his gun. The BF got the unspoken message. He started to stutter when he was answering the questions. As they were ready to leave, all her father said was, "just remember, she was my first born and I have a very special place in my heart for her." At that point he picked up the gun and blew off the tip of the barrel as if there was smoke from an imaginary shot. My great granddaughter has never missed her curfew, always is where she says they are going, (her father will call and check up on her. Asks to speak to an adult that is supposed to be there.) and she is still with the same boyfriend. I think the word spread around school and all the other boys are just too scared to ask her out for a date.

Just back from 5 days camping at State Forest State Park near Walden CO. This is the view we were stuck with each day:

i-bMmzHDs-XL.jpg

Watched little critters:

i-xBfrWgd-XL.jpg

i-qd6sXSb-XL.jpg

And some big ones:

i-hDXRHk8-XL.jpg

;) My heart just bleeds for your whole family for suffering while you had that view. It must have been so painful.

;) Smart ass! Just keep in mind of what those poor animals had to look at when seeing you. I just hope you suffer as much on every camping trip and vacation you take. And then on top of all that, you have the nerve to try and make us suffer with you.

Gee, if I had known you needed cheering up, I would have taken some pictures of our day long drizzle and temps in the upper 60's.

That deer/moose (?) looked like he was still in the process of his velvet developing. Loved the pic of the humming bird. That is quite a shot. Nat Geo could use you and your camera skills.

Last edited:
ohh RP, you must have suffered so looking at that horrid stuff! :( My sympathies. Next time you absolutely HAVE to go, just send me the ticket and I'll take your place. :cry: Don't want a fellow DC'er to suffer so. :cry:

Gorgeous pics RP, nicely done.

My grandson has a 16 y.o. daughter. When she was allowed to start dating, she HAD to bring home her very first date. Her father was sitting at the kitchen table and she brought her BF into the kitchen. Her father was sitting there cleaning his gun. The BF got the unspoken message. He started to stutter when he was answering the questions. As they were ready to leave, all her father said was, "just remember, she was my first born and I have a very special place in my heart for her." At that point he picked up the gun and blew off the tip of the barrel as if there was smoke from an imaginary shot. My great granddaughter has never missed her curfew, always is where she says they are going, (her father will call and check up on her. Asks to speak to an adult that is supposed to be there.) and she is still with the same boyfriend. I think the word spread around school and all the other boys are just too scared to ask her out for a date.
:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Across the street my neighbors have 4 girls. Years ago, while they were going through a nasty divorce, I would invite the girls over for "projects", they could thumb through my piles of cookbooks and each pick out something to make. The oldest twins and the youngest would always pick something predictable...cookies or brownies or something similar. Molly the middle child and the only redhead would always go for the gusto...Kimchi, gallettes, sauerkraut. She became my favorite and years later still comes over for projects. This is a picture I have hanging right at the entrance of my kitchen. Molly is always asking about Jewish customs and wanted to learn how to make Challah. I think she's about 8 in this photo...she's now 13.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Here's Molly last summer...Williams Sonoma was having a class on pasta making and Molly wanted to go but it was closed to children. I spoke with the store manager and told her that Molly was an accomplished cook and any child's class would be unsuitable and boring for her. They allowed her to attend and she was the hit of the class. That night she made homemade pasta for her family and it turned out perfect!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 83
Ok, enough about Molly. How about you post recipe for that gorgeous Challah? Please.

The recipe came from the book The Kosher Baker, which has been used so much several pages are now stuck together and the challah recipe was one of them...I pretty much wing it now. As far as the design...although I can do a six strand challah braid, this is a cheat version and is much prettier IMHO.

Divide one loaf of challah dough into four equal sections. Use three of them to form a simple braid (roll them out into strands with your open palm). Take the last piece of dough and divide into three sections and form a simple braid which will be much smaller and thinner...but make it the same length. Place on top of the larger braid (sometimes I brush the larger braid with egg first, sometimes it sits on there just fine and I brush the whole loaf at the same time). Add your seeds and bake. Since it was Molly's first time I didn't want to overwhelm her with a 6 braid loaf but wanted to make something extra pretty. She did those 3 loaves all by herself...all I did was some of the heavier kneading but she did all the braiding.

Last edited:
Here's Molly last summer...Williams Sonoma was having a class on pasta making and Molly wanted to go but it was closed to children. I spoke with the store manager and told her that Molly was an accomplished cook and any child's class would be unsuitable and boring for her. They allowed her to attend and she was the hit of the class. That night she made homemade pasta for her family and it turned out perfect!

Do I detect a slight smile on the woman in black in the background? She looks like she can't believe what she is seeing.

I love Challah bread. One time when my son Spike took me shopping, he takes one half of the store with my list, (it is a huge store) and I take the other half. He covers the bread section for me. Now the city where the supermarket is located is about 99% of Spanish origin. On his list I had Challah bread.

He chided me for months about that one. "Since when have you seen any Jewish folks here. Have you heard one person in this store speak Yiddish? Do you think you are shopping in Israel?" If he had looked hard enough and gone up to the window of the in-store bakery, he would have been handed a loaf of Challah. Then it was my turn to chide him for months.

He was to young to remember when that city was 99% Jewish. Including my landlord and his whole family that lived in the building. It has always been a city of immigrants.

ohh RP, you must have suffered so looking at that horrid stuff! :( My sympathies. Next time you absolutely HAVE to go, just send me the ticket and I'll take your place. :cry: Don't want a fellow DC'er to suffer so. :cry:

Gorgeous pics RP, nicely done.

What she^ said. We can sit together on the plane. :ROFLMAO:

Just back from 5 days camping at State Forest State Park near Walden CO. This is the view we were stuck with each day:

i-bMmzHDs-XL.jpg

Watched little critters:

i-xBfrWgd-XL.jpg

i-qd6sXSb-XL.jpg

And some big ones:

i-hDXRHk8-XL.jpg

:ohmy: Holy cow, Rick. You have a real talent for photography. I really enjoyed looking at your pics!

i-bMmzHDs-XL.jpg

Watched little critters:

i-xBfrWgd-XL.jpg

i-qd6sXSb-XL.jpg

And some big ones:

i-hDXRHk8-XL.jpg

Kind of shocking to not see snow on those mountains. Still a beautiful scene.

Nice moose...very young, one year possibly. Love the chipmunks and hummingbirds.

:ohmy: Holy cow, Rick. You have a real talent for photography. I really enjoyed looking at your pics!

Thanks. I had some good luck this week.

Kind of shocking to not see snow on those mountains. Still a beautiful scene.

Nice moose...very young, one year possibly. Love the chipmunks and hummingbirds.

There is snow on the northeast face. That's the southern side that we saw from camp.

Actually that's a pretty big bull. It's hard to see the flat part of his antlers in that view. Here's one that shows him better:

i-zLcrVjX-XL.jpg

Just back from 5 days camping at State Forest State Park near Walden CO. This is the view we were stuck with each day...[/IMG]
Rick, those photos are ahhhhhmazing! :heart: Himself was wondering how long of a lens you have? His guess is about 600mm. At that length, you need a tripod for the camera and another for the lens!

BTW, did you take a hummingbird feeder when you went camping? :huh: I can't imagine it "growing" there naturally.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom