Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kind of shocking to not see snow on those mountains. Still a beautiful scene.

Nice moose...very young, one year possibly. Love the chipmunks and hummingbirds.

So glad someone cleared that up. You can tell I am a city girl. At first I thought that was a deer. But on the second look, I saw the long nose and realized it was a moose. But I wasn't absolutely sure. And I didn't even have a clue about what the chipmunk was. We don't have many of them running around our streets.

Thanks. I had some good luck this week.

There is snow on the northeast face. That's the southern side that we saw from camp.

Actually that's a pretty big bull. It's hard to see the flat part of his antlers in that view. Here's one that shows him better:

i-zLcrVjX-XL.jpg
He's smiling for the camera! [emoji38]

Rick, those photos are ahhhhhmazing! :heart: Himself was wondering how long of a lens you have? His guess is about 600mm. At that length, you need a tripod for the camera and another for the lens!

BTW, did you take a hummingbird feeder when you went camping? :huh: I can't imagine it "growing" there naturally.

I have 5 lenses, but only used 2 of them during that trip. The wildlife shots are with my EF 70-200 f4 L IS zoom (one of Canon's best lenses) with the Canon 2x teleconverter. The landscapes were taken with my EFS 17-55 IS zoom. I can hand hold the telephoto zoom because it's image stabilized. The photos of the hummingbirds and chipmunk are cropped. I actually do at least some cropping on most of my photos when I process them on the computer.

He's smiling for the camera! [emoji38]

I hadn't noticed that, but it does look that way. :)

This is Violet's and my life now.

TreatLady.jpg
This is me - the most popular human in the park...when I bring treats!

VioletPark.jpg
Violet's view of the park from her favourite place to be - at my feet!

It's a tough job but someone has to do it! ;)

The moose is at different angles. Did you creep around? or was he standing in the first picture.

He was standing, then he laid down. I don't go creeping around a bull moose. They tend to be a bit crotchety. ;)

We saw about a dozen moose on our drive, and never had to leave the road. Here's another one of a cow and calf. It was raining pretty hard at the time.

i-B7nnHGZ-XL.jpg

He was standing, then he laid down. I don't go creeping around a bull moose. They tend to be a bit crotchety. ;)

LOL... that's why I asked. My next question was going to be what kind of life insurance does your family have on you. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

In the evenings at the cottage, I would pile everyone in the van and we would take a drive thru the park on the logging roads.

One evening, driving along, I suddenly exclaimed "Oh look! A baby moose!"
My MIL, riding shotgun, turned to look at me and said... "where, where!"
I replied, "just look out your side window." Now this was a full size passenger van, not a mini-van. This baby probably about 4 months old? if even! about the same size as yours in the pic. and was eye level with her and less than 2 feet from her! Her reaction was priceless. The kids in the back were hysterical with laughter!

It kept following us... argh - I was worried that he would follow us too far from his mom.

Another time, while out riding on my trusty Quarterhorse, I came across 2 extremely agitated women on their WarmBloods (a little taller than my horse!) They were upset as a baby moose - the same size as their mounts - was following them. I'm not too sure who was more nervous, the ladies or their horses.

Guess baby thought he would join the herd! I was a little nervous myself as I wasn't sure just where mommy was. Didn't want her to think we were mooseknapping her baby! If he was our size... how big was she! Don't remember but think the scent of my dog finally drove baby off into the woods. Ladies went their way and I went mine.

Last edited:
This is Violet's and my life now.

View attachment 27397
This is me - the most popular human in the park...when I bring treats!

View attachment 27398
Violet's view of the park from her favourite place to be - at my feet!

It's a tough job but someone has to do it! ;)

Very sweet pics, LP! :wub: Thank you for sharing. Glad to hear you and the furbabies are happy in your new home with the beautiful park nearby. :)

One of my favorite family-oriented photos. Me and my dad on our PWCs.

My SeaDoo was way faster. :punk:

This was 20 years ago, when my dad was in his mid 60s. My wife at the time took the picture.

CD

Attachments

• MeAndDad_0001small.jpg
    MeAndDad_0001small.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 67
Very sweet pics, LP! :wub: Thank you for sharing. Glad to hear you and the furbabies are happy in your new home with the beautiful park nearby. :)

Thanks, Cheryl,
Once a week or so I take Monkey out to the back of our building on her leash (a small retractable) and let her have some time in the grass. She is very skittish about traffic so I don't take her out front anymore. But otherwise, she seems totally content having "Outside Time" on the balcony. Things are less scary there and she has no desire to try to get down!

GG, I am sooo jealous of your nugget! That is beautiful!

Unfortunately honey is one of the things my stomach takes issue with. I can tolerate a half teaspoon once in a while but if I start to cheat and have more (and I soo love honey that I do :rolleyes:) it lets me know in no uncertain terms :ermm: :LOL:

GG, I am sooo jealous of your nugget! That is beautiful!

Unfortunately honey is one of the things my stomach takes issue with. I can tolerate a half teaspoon once in a while but if I start to cheat and have more (and I soo love honey that I do :rolleyes:) it lets me know in no uncertain terms :ermm: [emoji38]
Thanks. Sorry about your tummy. I know what it's like to be unable to enjoy the foods you like.

Saturday we went on the side by side in Greenbrier County, WV. We ate hotdogs over a fire we built along the way, saw a bear. The picture quality isn't great but all I had was my phone. Luckily when it decided to come down it didn't jump towards me, I barely got up the hill to the tree :wacko: I'm so clumsy! And on side note... 2 baby deer in our neighbors yard

Attachments

• IMG_3911.jpg
    IMG_3911.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3912.jpg
    IMG_3912.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3917.jpg
    IMG_3917.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3924.jpg
    IMG_3924.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 76
I was doing some black and white conversions for the monthly assignment on a photo website, and this one just really grabbed me. I took this a couple of years ago, and the color version is good, but after converting, adjusting, and cropping, this look really works for me.

I realize that some people just don't get monochrome photos in this age of Instagram and Facebook, but I've always enjoyed viewing some the works of the early master photographers, and I try in my humble way to emulate them.

This is my take on Pilot Peak, on the Montana/Wyoming border east of Yellowstone Park.

Pilot%20Peak-XL.jpg

I have 5 lenses, but only used 2 of them during that trip. The wildlife shots are with my EF 70-200 f4 L IS zoom (one of Canon's best lenses) with the Canon 2x teleconverter. The landscapes were taken with my EFS 17-55 IS zoom. I can hand hold the telephoto zoom because it's image stabilized. The photos of the hummingbirds and chipmunk are cropped. I actually do at least some cropping on most of my photos when I process them on the computer.

I use a Nikon 70-200 f4, and like the Canon, it is a better lens than the more expensive F2.8. The APS-C sized sensor in your 60D crops it to look like an even longer lens. That plus a 2X converter must be tough to hand-hold, even with IS. Kudos to you for your steady hands. The 70-200 f4 and a 24mm f1.8 prime are my "moneymakers." I use them on every car shoot I do.

CD

Back
Top Bottom