"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #1501
Master Chef

What a great day for the last of the regular season. As a bonus, I understand you got to see a no-hitter too! 104 pitches - wow! Zimmerman looks like a fine pick by the Nationals. Hope he continues to pitch ace-like for your team. Well, unless he faces off against my team.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:39 PM   #1502
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
What a great day for the last of the regular season. As a bonus, I understand you got to see a no-hitter too! 104 pitches - wow! Zimmerman looks like a fine pick by the Nationals. Hope he continues to pitch ace-like for your team. Well, unless he faces off against my team.
Well, the no hitter was today, a fantastic end for a great season for the Nats. yesterday was just as much a blast, I would like to think...I don't really follow the baseball, I am a rugby kinda guy, but it was really fun to be at the game.

Walking home from the local last night, I think I found the FIRST leaf of fall, despite it still being 80 degrees!

Old 09-29-2014, 02:23 AM   #1503
Master Chef

Ah, you're a rugby man TAT. Otherwise known as football for real men.

I'm glad to hear you had a good day no matter which it was. I'm a baseball girl myself. Mom taught me most of what I know starting around age 8. We'd listen to the game on the kitchen radio while doing dishes after summer suppers. When I got older, we'd sit on the screened back porch chomping on leftovers Mom brought home from catering jobs (the owner let his "girls" take any overages after the customer got what was due for what they paid), drinking beer, and listening to the west-coast games. Every time I listen to baseball games to this day it's a little like Mom's right there with me cheering on our Tribe.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:39 AM   #1504
Chef Extraordinaire

great memories, cg. good vibes for your mom.

baseball is really a great sport for radio. it's slow enough to let our minds draw the field, then set the players out there, and still sit on the edge of your chair for a pitch.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:25 AM   #1505
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
great memories, cg. good vibes for your mom.

baseball is really a great sport for radio. it's slow enough to let our minds draw the field, then set the players out there, and still sit on the edge of your chair for a pitch.
Thanks bucky. She's been gone 14 years, Dad almost 23, and I miss them more every day I do something that we'd do together. And I did a LOT with Dad! As an only child AND a girl, I was Dad's pseudo-son. I can solder, pull wires, and hammer a nail with the halfway-best of them. He taught me a lot about living life. Mom taught me cooking, baseball, and how to have fun. They were both the best parents I could have asked for, even though they had their flaws. But we ALL have flaws. I just overlooked theirs.

Baseball is especially fine if you have a good play-by-play guy. The Cleveland Indians' Tom Hamilton is as much of a homer as you can get, but he calls an exciting game and paints the field and the action in your mind. Since we use MLB Audio to listen, I've sampled quite a few of the announcers. I really enjoy listening to the Brewers' Bob Uecker. How can you not love Harry Doyle!
Old 09-29-2014, 03:32 AM   #1506
Chef Extraordinaire

i guess i never cared who was announcing. you know, in the radio market you kind of expect to hear "homers". but i just love(d) baseball.

two of my boy's first spoken sentences were, "and the pitch", and, "see ya!!!"

now hockey on the radio is an entirely different beast. the opposite end of the spectrum.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:34 AM   #1507
Chef Extraordinaire

jono, the leaves are a'changin' here too:

the stage hands just brought them in to the losding dock for some show tomorrow:

Old 10-01-2014, 01:45 AM   #1508
Chef Extraordinaire

espeakin' of beisbol, here's my little league team from this past spring.

we were the minors champs (9 and 10 year olds)! our record was 13-2-1.

Attachment 21965

click on the pic for a slightly larger view

Old 10-01-2014, 02:23 AM   #1509
Master Chef

Congrats on the championship bt! Just 11 players though? I figured little league had more on a team than that. Nice looking group of kids too. Your son is smack in the middle, right? Is that a girl to his left, or a boy with long hair? I'm guessing it's a sister-brother combo, with the brother being on her(?) left. Then again, I could be wrong.

BTW, which of the four older kids in the back row is you? Or aren't you telling...
Old 10-01-2014, 02:29 AM   #1510
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks, cg.

yup, that's my boy in the middle, and a girl (vianna) to his left. she was one of the best players on my team.

and yeah, there were 5 teams of 11 players in the minors this year. it gets less and less with the growing popularity of other sports.

the 2nd in from the left, and the rightmost boy in the middle row are brothers. the boy in front of me was the boy that i spoke of a few years ago that i helped get his act straight and do better in school, and at home.

oh, i'm the mug in the back on the right.