Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me and one of my girls. FB_IMG_1515973721642.jpg

Beautiful pics, guys.

I'm not much of a photographer, but I am proud of my green thumb. Here is a twisted Hibiscus plant that I picked out of someone's garbage when it looked dead and I was able to bring it back to life.

Attachments

• 0908171834a_HDR.jpg
    0908171834a_HDR.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 0908171834c_HDR.jpg
    0908171834c_HDR.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Beautiful pics, guys.

I'm not much of a photographer, but I am proud of my green thumb. Here is a twisted Hibiscus plant that I picked out of someone's garbage when it looked dead and I was able to bring it back to life.

Well done. I commend you. On the other hand, I can kill most anything. It really doesn't seem to matter what plant it may be, or how hardy it's supposed to be - if I really want it to grow, it dies, and if I really don't want it growing in my yard, it flourishes.

To be honest, I think the two issues go hand in hand. We just planted our vacant lot in grass last year, and got a flourishing crop of sand burrs. Our only hope is that the grass starts to really fill in this year and chokes out some of the nasties.

I'd give anything to only be dealing with the normal lawn weeds like crabgrass and dandelions - we have them too, but they are treatable, sand burrs are not by any method we've been able to uncover except digging up each weed, one by one. In a 1/4 acre lot, that's more than the two of us can handle. Around mid July they start popping up faster than we can extract them.

Maybe if we were better at growing grass, we'd have an easier time controlling the burrs.

Well done. I commend you. On the other hand, I can kill most anything. It really doesn't seem to matter what plant it may be, or how hardy it's supposed to be - if I really want it to grow, it dies, and if I really don't want it growing in my yard, it flourishes.

To be honest, I think the two issues go hand in hand. We just planted our vacant lot in grass last year, and got a flourishing crop of sand burrs. Our only hope is that the grass starts to really fill in this year and chokes out some of the nasties.

I'd give anything to only be dealing with the normal lawn weeds like crabgrass and dandelions - we have them too, but they are treatable, sand burrs are not by any method we've been able to uncover except digging up each weed, one by one. In a 1/4 acre lot, that's more than the two of us can handle. Around mid July they start popping up faster than we can extract them.

Maybe if we were better at growing grass, we'd have an easier time controlling the burrs.

Lawns are a PITA, which is why I've been slowly replacing mine with native plants and ground-covers.

However, if those sand burs are annual weeds, meaning they grow new each year from last year's seeds, get some pre-emergent down now, and continue to do it as directed on the package. That will keep last summer's seeds from germinating. Basically, birth control for weeds.

CD

Lawns are a PITA, which is why I've been slowly replacing mine with native plants and ground-covers.

However, if those sand burs are annual weeds, meaning they grow new each year from last year's seeds, get some pre-emergent down now, and continue to do it as directed on the package. That will keep last summer's seeds from germinating. Basically, birth control for weeds.

CD

I use a preemergent to control crabgrass in the lawn around the house, and it does help, but everyone I've talked to says that it's ineffective on sand burrs. I don't know if they are annuals or perennials, but they are a real pain, both figuratively and literally. We have goathead burrs too, but they are a broadleaf plant and 2-4-D will kill them without hurting the lawn.

Last edited:
I use a preemergent to control crabgrass in the lawn around the house, and it does help, but everyone I've talked to says that it's ineffective on sand burrs. I don't know if they are annuals or perennials, but they are a real pain, both figuratively and literally. We have goathead burrs too, but they are a broadleaf plant and 2-4-D will kill them without hurting the lawn.

The burrs, I know which ones you mean, are perennials. They have a strong root system. I'm cutting them out of the same spots each spring and they are spreading from the lot next door. Dad says you can't burn them out, it just makes them go underground. I'm going to try digging down until I can get under that main root. I have a couple near the driveway. Maybe I'll be able to put in a water feature...

Aloha!

Haven't been out shooting much, so not much to post. You can always click the link in my signature though.

Casey, make sure you have a couple of hours before you click that link.:) There are some wondrous sights. Especially love the black and white pictures.

When it is 30-degrees and raining, ice forms on trees. We get this a lot in North Texas. I looked out my office window, and grabbed my camera...

CD

Attachments

• TreeIce001.jpg
    TreeIce001.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 98
Cute "Mutt and Jeff" photo, Farmer Jon.

BT, that hibiscus is lovely! I really like the ruffly pink one.

TAT, that is a great shot of NYC. It should be on the wall of the Chamber of Commerce or something.

So sparkly, cd. I hope the roads stay clear enough for drivers in the AM, though. It looks like they aren't slick right now. It also looks like the neighbor across the street has his driveway astro-turfed...:ermm: :huh:

Cute "Mutt and Jeff" photo, Farmer Jon.

BT, that hibiscus is lovely! I really like the ruffly pink one.

TAT, that is a great shot of NYC. It should be on the wall of the Chamber of Commerce or something.

So sparkly, cd. I hope the roads stay clear enough for drivers in the AM, though. It looks like they aren't slick right now. It also looks like the neighbor across the street has his driveway astro-turfed...:ermm: :huh:

LOL, not Astroturf, that is an "aggregate" driveway. They basically poured concrete with a lot of pea stones in it, and as it set up, they washed it to reveal the pea stones. It looks nice, but it is brittle and terrible to walk on barefoot.

The ground is way to warm for ice to form on the roads, with the exception of some bridges and overpasses, that are up in the air.

CD

I like my astro-turf idea better. :LOL:

I know what you're talking about with the aggregate. Too bad there isn't an epoxy tough enough to stand up to TX heat. There is a company in OH (maybe other states, too) called Nature Stone that uses a thick epoxy to seal the stone floor/driveway/etc. From the looks of it, though, it's still not a smooth surface. Probably a lot nicer to walk on barefoot, though, than just stones tarred to the driveway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom