Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With panning shots, I think a little bit of blur is a good thing. It shows motion. I like that in your slightly blurred dog shot.

I do a lot of panning shots with cars, using slower shutter speeds to intentionally get a little blur. I set my shutter to "continuous" mode, and shutter speed to 1/250 or 1/320, and shoot 10 fps while panning with the cars.

CD

Shutter speed on the panning shot was 1/20 sec at f16 (70-200 l IS @70mm). My 60D only does about 5 fps - I don't remember if I was on continuous or not. I set it there often when I'm shooting animals, both wild and tame, because they love to move just as you click the release.

Last edited:
'Shrooms!

Attachments

• 1014170751b_HDR.jpg
    1014170751b_HDR.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 110
With panning shots, I think a little bit of blur is a good thing. It shows motion. I like that in your slightly blurred dog shot.

I do a lot of panning shots with cars, using slower shutter speeds to intentionally get a little blur. I set my shutter to "continuous" mode, and shutter speed to 1/250 or 1/320, and shoot 10 fps while panning with the cars.

CD

Exactly. Here's a couple from Donnington Park

4999505383_08d2f20e26_b.jpg

5000098108_0bbefa0f1c_b.jpg

I went out to the front patio this morning to have my coffee, and saw this flock of geese on my next door neighbors' front lawn. :ermm: :LOL: Kind of unusual, they're normally out somewhere else other than neighborhoods. Messy little critters, but fun to watch them so close.

Attachments

• geese.jpg
    geese.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 88
Cheryl - that is exactly why I finally had to confine my kids to a pen.
This picture is from 2013.

American Buff are the 'friendliest' of the breeds of geese but still made it difficult to get in the house or to your car for visitors. LOL - not to mention the obvious mess on the stoop. aka 'The poop stoop' at one time.
Oh.. and there were other reasons...
- my old van at the time had a lot of paint blisters - which they cleaned off.
- they would 'play' with the air valves on the tires.
- they started on the yellow paint of the propane pipe leading to the house.

Attachments

• 2013-02-10 13.44.29.jpg
    2013-02-10 13.44.29.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 85
The geese remind me of the deer all around where we lived in PG, Ca... Cute as heck but also can be a bit of a pain.. :ermm:

Ross

Nothing beats having to wait after work (off the clock) so you can get to your car. There is a wandering herd of deer that are aggressive and hang around the parking lot at shift change. :ROFLMAO:

I had to wait for a huge tom (turkey) to cross the road this morning as I was driving home. He stopped right in the middle of the road,
I honked at him, and with every bit of Jersey attitude he just glared at me and walked slowly off. I think he even moon walked a bit, just to be a dick.

Last edited:
I had to wait for a huge tom (turkey) to cross the road this morning as I was driving home. He stopped right in the middle of the road,
I honked at him, and with every bit of Jersey attitude he just glared at me and walked slowly off. I think he even moon walked a bit, just to be a dick.
Uh huh... :LOL:

Ross

Love the critter stories! :LOL: We have a large quail population here. It's fun to stop and watch a covey of quail and the little babies cross the street. They are so cute. It's common to see roadrunners around here, too. I've even seen them in my garage when I have the door open - I guess they are hiding from the Coyote's ACME anvil. :D

Ever driven on a dirt road inside a cattle ranch with bulls? :ohmy:

I used to do it a lot in my duck hunting days. There is a very non-intuitive way to safely win the "stare-down," but you have to commit to it and not stop. When they paw the dirt with a hoof and lower their horns at you, it really tests your resolve.

The cows just move out of the way.

CD

Love the photos of your "pet" geese, Cheryl and dragn.

The first 7 or 8 years we lived here, we had a flock of wild turkeys that would wander through our yard twice a day, going uphill in the morning and back downhill to their "home" in the late afternoon. We took to leaving cracked corn on a giant flat rock just into our woods from the grassy area in the back yard. It got to the point that if they were nearby and could see me and my white, 5-gallon bucket of corn heading to the rock, they would chortle and run, following me to their dinner table. They stood respectfully at a distance, waiting for me to cast the corn, then run to the rock once I was heading back towards the house. I thought they were so cute, I ended up tossing out bonus sunflower seeds to the stinkers. :LOL:

Ever driven on a dirt road inside a cattle ranch with bulls? :ohmy:

I used to do it a lot in my duck hunting days. There is a very non-intuitive way to safely win the "stare-down," but you have to commit to it and not stop. When they paw the dirt with a hoof and lower their horns at you, it really tests your resolve.

The cows just move out of the way.

CD

I've been trout fishing in Wisconsin that was something similar. As you walked along the stream through the cow's fields, I was warned to look out for the field where a bull might be kept. If you fished there, the local guys said if you hear snorting and stomping behind you, it would probably be a good idea to jump in the stream or risk being run over when the bull found you.

This is probably the least interesting photo I've ever posted here, but what the heck! There is a current discussion on a fishing forum (Bass Resource) about hook points and sharpness. One of the members was posting some photos he took through his Nikon microscope, and I was curious how I could do with my Canon camera and my 100mm image stabilized macro lens. This is the result, processed and cropped in Lightroom. My light source was a hand held tac flashlight.

The hook is a weighted Owner Twist Lock 4.0, generally used for soft plastic worms and grubs:

i-psGJNPP-L.jpg

Last edited:
not to worry Caslon, he just has to wait until the dog finishes. When it fall over the animal will either be crushed or electrocuted.

I was working in Austin a week or so back, and love that city. Their motto is Keep Austin Weird.

I pulled up behind this car covered in artificial turf. :LOL:

CD

Attachments

• IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom