Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Went to my niece's wedding in Bozeman, Montana last weekend. Drove 1700 miles over the 5 days. On the drive up last Thursday we counted 655 pronghorns in Colorado and Wyoming... quit counting when we crossed into Montana. If we had kept a total for the entire trip, we would have easily topped 800. Used a handy little phone app called "Thing Counter" to keep track.

Had a chance to explore a bit around Bozeman and managed a couple of photos despite rather poor weather.

Hyalite Reservoir south of town:

i-Vr3hrBS-L.jpg

Old church in the town/community of Sedan, northeast of Bozeman:

i-5SZqWrL-L.jpg

I use my phone camera almost exclusively. I always kept a camera at the ready in my home so I could grab quick photos of my grandson. I always took it on vacation. I don't bother anymore because the phone camera can do most of the same things and deliver excellent quality. I'm speaking as a non-professional photographer. I don't thing caseydog would rely on phone cameras to do his job.

Here's a quick sample. This is a photo of Nassau harbor from the cruise ship we were on in February.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_5100.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_5100.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 73
Using a cable to transfer digital pics to your pc can be a bother. You can remove your digital cameras's memory card, plug it into a bought "reader" that goes into a usb port on your pc, then copy whatever's on that memory card to any directory.

Last edited:
Just curious, are you all using smart phones for your pics? They certainly are making ones with higher resolution these days.

Most of my photos are shot with a Canon 60D DSLR. I have 5 lenses for it, plus a few other accessories. I process the RAW images in Adobe Lightroom. Some of my landscapes are stitched from several separate photos, like this one from 6 individual exposures.

i-GKpCm6P-XL.jpg

Panoramic scenes. I luv 'em. My camera's software is capable of that. My software stitches my shots together nicely. I know to pan my shots correctly. The software does a nice job.

Last edited:
Don't know how old your computer is but I've made sure that all mine (lately just laptops) have a slot for the disc from my camera (or my phone). Even my last printer had slots for various discs. I could put the disc directly in and print off the photos. Never did though.

I don't seem to use my camera that much anymore (NIkon Coolpix S2) and now my new "smart" phone doesn't even have a disc! (nor a removeable battery!)

So it's back to the cable to load my pictures - or I have to email them to myself - one by one! LOL... have done it on occasion.

It's not toooo complicated but easiest if you can find someone to physically show you how. And stand by and watch you repeat it. And make sure you write down the steps by steps!

Don't know how old your computer is but I've made sure that all mine (lately just laptops) have a slot for the disc from my camera (or my phone). Even my last printer had slots for various discs. I could put the disc directly in and print off the photos. Never did though.

I don't seem to use my camera that much anymore (NIkon Coolpix S2) and now my new "smart" phone doesn't even have a disc! (nor a removeable battery!)

So it's back to the cable to load my pictures - or I have to email them to myself - one by one! LOL... have done it on occasion.

It's not toooo complicated but easiest if you can find someone to physically show you how. And stand by and watch you repeat it. And make sure you write down the steps by steps!
Or, if you have an Android phone and a Google account, you can connect them all to your computer and they will automagically sync with each other. You can also do it with other software like Dropbox. Apple devices have similar capabilities.

Last edited:
Some recent pix of my azaleas. I use my smartphone camera for my picture-taking now. I used to use a digital camera, but the one on my phone is better and since I'm not a professional, I don't need (nor can I afford) that type of camera. 0608181737a.jpeg0608181721a.jpeg0608181726.jpeg0608181727_HDR.jpeg0608181736a.jpeg

Or, if you have an Android phone and a Google account, you can connect them all to your computer and they will automagically sync with each other. You can also do it with other software like Dropbox. Apple devices have similar capabilities.
Good point that there is other software and that it can be done with Apple devices too.

I have my phone set to only sync the photos when it is on a wireless network and plugged in, so it doesn't use data or waste battery. I can tell it to upload any pix at any time, whether I'm on the home network or the cell network and plugged in or not.

Nope, it's a flip phone, dumber than a stump.

Opposite here, my phone (Galaxy S9 - we just upgraded from S5 a few months ago) is way smarter than I am. I can make it do what I need to do, so I don't worry about all the stuff of which it's capable and I'm not. :rolleyes:

For transferring photos from my camera, I pop the card out of the camera in to a card reader plugged into my desktop computer, then import them directly into Lightroom, stored on an external drive and backed up to a second one. I shoot in RAW format for the greater flexibility in post processing (RAW files aren't even a picture, just raw data as the camera captures it), then only convert to jpeg when I export an image from Lightroom for publishing or posting online.

For the few photos that I take with my phone, I email them to myself when needed (I have 2 gmail accounts). Mostly they just stay on the phone to display there.

...For the few photos that I take with my phone, I email them to myself when needed (I have 2 gmail accounts). Mostly they just stay on the phone to display there.

I have a function on my iPhone and MacBook called Air Drop that enables direct download. I’m sure there is a corresponding app for Android/PC.

I have a function on my iPhone and MacBook called Air Drop that enables direct download. I’m sure there is a corresponding app for Android/PC.

I don't transfer enough photos from my phone for it to matter. If I post them on Facebook or something, then I just do it direct from the phone. I so rarely move one from the phone to the computer that it's really not a big deal.

Fast forward a hundred years.

Will there be any printed photo's of all of us, or will they all be lost to cyberspace somewhere? That will also be when nobody knows how to read script handwriting.
My mom used to say I think too much.

Last edited:
I don't transfer enough photos from my phone for it to matter. If I post them on Facebook or something, then I just do it direct from the phone. I so rarely move one from the phone to the computer that it's really not a big deal.

OK. Keep it in mind for other documents too.

Back
Top Bottom