Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, lovin' the wonderful recent photos! TATT, Lilly is a beauty and she is definitely smiling for the camera.

I too use my phone (Galaxy S7) for pics. It's not the newest, and I don't care about that - it was a gift from my daughter and I'm very grateful and happy with it. It's handy, always charged, and takes just as good (if not better) pics than my little Nikon Coolpix that has been in a drawer for 2 years. :ermm::LOL:

I should learn the newer transferring apps mentioned, though. Right now I'm still just plugging my phone into my laptop with the cord and loading them that way, and I'm OK with that, although I'm sure there's much easier ways. I get befuddled with trying learn techie things on my own - I need to get my daughter over here and help me. :LOL:

Last edited:
I should learn the newer transferring apps mentioned, though. Right now I'm still just plugging my phone into my laptop with the cord and loading them that way, and I'm OK with that, although I'm sure there's much easier ways. I get befuddled with trying learn techie things on my own - I need to get my daughter son over here and help me. :LOL:

+1 :rolleyes::LOL:

Fast forward a hundred years.

Will there be any printed photo's of all of us, or will they all be lost to cyberspace somewhere? That will also be when nobody knows how to read script handwriting.
My mom used to say I think too much.

I think of that too, Kay! My daughters are good about printing out digital pics on nice Kodak paper and framing them. I have so many on my computer that need to be gone through, and have the best of the best printed out. :huh: Back to the techie issue though, I need help from my girls with that.

Speaking of cursive writing - we are so happy that Tyler's teachers have included it in their lesson plans. He'll be going into 3rd grade this August and is doing really well with it. He loves to take my shopping lists off the refrigerator and re-write them for me in cursive. :LOL:

Last edited:
Looks like a fun place, phinz. Reminds me a little of a Cleveland place called "Kon-Tiki" that closed back in 1974. No entertainment at Kon-Tiki, but lots of good food...and drinks. :yum:

I have a matchbook cover and several other pieces of ephemera from the Cleveland Kon-Tiki. :D We are big Steven Crane fans, so we have collected pieces from his Ports, Kon-Tiki and Luau restaurants as part of our larger (some would say ridiculous) collection. Here are a few of the pieces. There's also a cool thread on Tiki Central about the Cleveland location.

Kon Tiki Restaurant (Sheraton Hotel), Cleveland, OH (restaurant) -- Tiki Central

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 85
Ahhh... that must have been the hotel here in Montreal. The Sheraton! So I take it the Kon Tiki restaurants must have been a franchise? To the Sheraton?

Sorry... but who is Steven Crane? I googled and came up with a Stephen Crane, a journalist/poet/novelist, died in 1900 at the tender age of 30.

Sorry... but who is Steven Crane? I googled and came up with a Stephen Crane, a journalist/poet/novelist, died in 1900 at the tender age of 30.

This is the only Steven Crane I'm familiar with too. When I read that first post, I was trying to figure out how he got involved in restaurants. The only thing I know about Kon Tiki is that was the name of Thor Heyerdahl's raft.

I have a matchbook cover and several other pieces of ephemera from the Cleveland Kon-Tiki...There's also a cool thread on Tiki Central about the Cleveland location.

Kon Tiki Restaurant (Sheraton Hotel), Cleveland, OH (restaurant) -- Tiki Central
I had not seen that blog post before. Thanks! I took a quick peek at the menu - Planter's Punch for $1.75? Wow, that ship has sailed!

Cleveland has a newer tiki bar called "Porco Lounge & Tiki Room". Never been there, but I see by the map that it's just half a mile down the road from West Side Market. We make a pilgrimage to WSM most every time we go to OH to visit. Might have to have a little Polynesian next time we're in town.

This is the only Steven Crane I'm familiar with too. When I read that first post, I was trying to figure out how he got involved in restaurants. The only thing I know about Kon Tiki is that was the name of Thor Heyerdahl's raft.

I had an illustrated book on that story - I loved it and so admired their courage!

While we lived in Europe we went to the museum and it just reinforced my admiration!

Last edited:
I had an illustrated book on that story - I loved it and so admired their courage!

While we lived in Europe we went to the museum and it just reinforced my admiration!

I read the book many years ago. It was quite the adventure, crossing the pacific on a balsa wood raft.

kontiki_farver-6n97f0TeXnkmEq_pQI0HIg.jpg

Last edited:
LOL... you have to remember - that adventure took place in 1947 - I was 2 +1/2 yrs old.

I saw the raft in the late 50's - probably just 10 years later!

At the time it was like it just happened yesterday! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I read the book many years ago. It was quite the adventure, crossing the pacific on a balsa wood raft[/IMG]

I loved that book as a young teen. I read a few of Thor Heyerdahl's adventure books. The Ra Expeditions was another favorite.

CD

Will there be any printed photo's of all of us, or will they all be lost to cyberspace somewhere?

I dunno, Kayelle. It's sooo easy now to have only digital memories. I don't print much these days, either. Besides, lol, printers that cost $99 these days can print a label on a DVD. The thing is...the cost of buying a few ink refills nowadays, exceeds the price of the printers !

But when I do print nowadays, I have to say, printers have gotten sooo much more reliable (and less expensive). The inks cost a lot.

Last edited:

Will there be any printed photo's of all of us, or will they all be lost to cyberspace somewhere? That will also be when nobody knows how to read script handwriting.
My mom used to say I think too much.

I'm not sure that "lost" is the right thought. As long as the technology exists to support and recover it, our current electronic data storage methods are far more permanent and efficient than printed documents.

However, there are issues to deal with. My wife has a database of the items and in some cases the history, for all of the displayed and stored pieces in the town museum (she is the secretary for the museum board of directors). Unfortunately, it's saved on a 3.5" floppy disk, and so far she has been unable to find a computer with a 3.5" floppy drive to read it. She wants to transfer the database to more current media and update it, but for now she is still looking for an answer. (I just looked it up and found that she can get an external 3.5" floppy drive on Amazon for $13. I passed the info on to her.)

She has approached a couple of local computer repair shops and even they don't have that capability. The next question is whether the stored database is still compatible with modern software. Issues upon issues. It will be a big project if she has to use the printed and filed documents to recreate the database from scratch. This should have been updated from time to time by the previous secretary as database software and media storage technology advanced, but it wasn't done.

The next question is whether the stored database is still compatible with modern software. Issues upon issues. It will be a big project if she has to use the printed and filed documents to recreate the database from scratch. This should have been updated from time to time by the previous secretary as database software and media storage technology advanced, but it wasn't done.

I was going to suggest an external disk drive; they're pretty cheap, as you found.

Microsoft apps have been pretty good about being able to import older versions of documents and data files and convert them to current versions. If you have access to Access [emoji38] give it a try.

A friend of my husband recently bought an external 3.5 inch floppy drive. It uses USB to connect to a computer. I know this because my husband has it to see if he can make it work. We suspect that the problem is a driver. I expect that most modern computers do not come with driver software for 3.5 inch floppies and it will need to be downloaded.

My husband had the "file format of old pictures" problem at one point. He tells me that there is free software that can open most of those old formats. He found software that would open pix stored in some weird format used on the Atari ST. He says that, if the pix were taken in the past 20 years or so, there is a good chance that they are in something we still use, for example .jpg or .gif.

For archiving purposes, it might be good to rescan old pix in higher resolution. I have been doing Swedish genealogy and all of the old church books were scanned by Family Search, years ago. They are all being rescanned and the new pix are much easier to read.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom