Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My husband had the "file format of old pictures" problem at one point. He tells me that there is free software that can open most of those old formats. He found software that would open pix stored in some weird format used on the Atari ST. He says that, if the pix were taken in the past 20 years or so, there is a good chance that they are in something we still use, for example .jpg or .gif.

Images are pretty easy to recover. RP is talking about a database of information about items in a museum.

Images are pretty easy to recover. RP is talking about a database of information about items in a museum.
:doh: d'oh! I was thinking that the database included pictures of those museum items.

Most images might be easy to recover, but my husband, the computer geek, only found software that would convert those old Atari St image files, after several years of searching.

:doh: d'oh! I was thinking that the database included pictures of those museum items.

Most images might be easy to recover, but my husband, the computer geek, only found software that would convert those old Atari St image files, after several years of searching.
You should have told me ;) I have 20-year-old image shareware on CDs around here somewhere.

You should have told me ;) I have 20-year-old image shareware on CDs around here somewhere.
:cool: :LOL: You do know that the data on those CDs may have degraded by now, eh?

This was a while ago. He had pretty much stopped using the Atari St by the late 1980s, so those pix were very old. In any case, he did eventually find free software that converted them.

I read the book many years ago. It was quite the adventure, crossing the pacific on a balsa wood raft.

kontiki_farver-6n97f0TeXnkmEq_pQI0HIg.jpg

When the ship were made of wood, the men were made of steel.

Fast forward a hundred years.

Will there be any printed photo's of all of us, or will they all be lost to cyberspace somewhere? That will also be when nobody knows how to read script handwriting.
My mom used to say I think too much.

I hope that the photos live on. I can't have kids, and pics are all I am leaving behind.

Himself made this for me!

I posted this in the "Last thing that made you smile" thread, but I'm all about showing this off. Himself made a step stool for me in his basic "wood shop" down in our basement. :) Quite a "step up" from the hand carved coffee spoon he made when he was first laid off. Wonder what's next?

Attachments

• 20180627_154844.jpg
    20180627_154844.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20180627_154912.jpg
    20180627_154912.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 86
I posted this in the "Last thing that made you smile" thread, but I'm all about showing this off. Himself made a step stool for me in his basic "wood shop" down in our basement. [emoji2] Quite a "step up" from the hand carved coffee spoon he made when he was first laid off. Wonder what's next?
Very nice. I like the duo-toned wood.

Very nice CG. I can see using the stool is a fairly simple task. You can use the top level to steady yourself as you step up. But how do you get onto the table so you can use the stool?

Very nice CG. I can see using the stool is a fairly simple task. You can use the top level to steady yourself as you step up. But how do you get onto the table so you can use the stool?
Ha ha, Andy! I flap my wings. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, it was much easier putting it on the table for the shot rather than try getting back up off the floor to photograph it from that view.

Last edited:
Thanks, everybody! It's nice to see him doing something fun that he enjoys.

Cheryl, I don't know how talented he is just yet, but he is tenacious. He has a nice stack of scrap wood that he made from failed projects. Trust me, those wheat sheaves aren't his first attempt. Good for him, though, he keeps on at it. Kinda like me in the kitchen, except we eat most of my failures. :LOL:

Camping and a drive up a road where we always find a lot of moose. This trip we found an even dozen.

It starts with a beautiful, frosty morning at camp:
i-jRwxNrL-L.jpg

Big bull:
i-2vrQwtn-L.jpg

And a pair of bulls.
i-QJ8XGfF-L.jpg

A fawn, still with spots.
i-BdvrJjb-L.jpg

RP, nice to see that you used a 70-200mm lens, which works out to around 320mm on your camera. I've heard that moose can be pretty mean animals if you get close to them.

CD

RP, nice to see that you used a 70-200mm lens, which works out to around 320mm on your camera. I've heard that moose can be pretty mean animals if you get close to them.

CD

I also have the Canon 1.4x extender which gets me a bit more reach (448mm full frame equivalent field of view). My 70-200 has image stabilization too, so with a little care, I can get decent shots in less than ideal lighting as long as the subject isn't moving too fast. This trip we mostly had blue skies, but the previous 2 years it was overcast and raining, so the IS was essential for hand held shooting.

Back
Top Bottom