Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I learned to waterski before I learned to snow ski. Two things you would think are the same, but are 100-percent opposite. I had to ignore everything I knew about waterskiing to get the hang of snow skiing. Once I hit that "aha" moment on snow, I was okay. I just had to get used to leaning forward instead of backward.

CD

Posture plays so many roles in my life. As a child and just learning to stand on point in ballet class, to this day, I still hear the teacher yelling, "Stand up straight and you won't fall." And now I hear it from my PT team. Stand up straight and you won't fall over. You won't lose your sense of balance.

I never fully realized just how much those words reflected on my kids. Hemming a dress or pants for the kids, "Stand up straight so I can measure it right." I took a close look at my daughter a couple of years ago. Perfect posture and so is Pirate.

Yeah, you do have to know when to stand up straight or bend over backwards. Me, I am still a sloucher.

Don't be jealous yet. I haven't seen the cars. I'm sure they won't be a perfect as the Nash Healy in the sample shot I posted. That was a Dennis Collins restoration, so it was perfect.

Anyway, I just though a few people would enjoy seeing a studio shot bigger than a plate of food -- and get a glimpse of what I do to pay for my food.

CD
Anytime. If I woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Instead I swing a hammer.

Nice, thanks for sharing

My parents had 2 1957 Buicks, at the same time; a Special and a Roadmaster.

1957 Roadmaster Convertibles are beautiful, and were fetching as much as $250K for a while. The price has dropped, but they still sell for decent six-figure prices.

CD

Himself was drooling over your photos, casey. Or maybe it was the wheels. Either way, I hope you post them again after you work your magic and purdy them up. It's nice to see the difference.

1957 Roadmaster Convertibles are beautiful, and were fetching as much as $250K for a while. The price has dropped, but they still sell for decent six-figure prices.

CD

LOL, my parents Roadmaster was not a convertible, was butt-ugly green, had crank windows with the center post between the front and back windows! Now their Special was beautiful.

This isn't random, but I'm going to Corpus Christi tomorrow for a 100-car photoshoot. It is a studio shoot, with a 10X30 foot softbox and 18,000 watts of lights. The lighting gear is owned by the customer, and some of it is not what I would have bought, but I've worked with worse.

For those interested, here is how we lit the cars in my previous posts.

Brownie points for the person who can identify what kind of cars are in this photo. ;)

CD

Attachments

• LightingSampleCC.jpg
    LightingSampleCC.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 84
SoCal super bloom. Due to all the rain we've had, the poppies are exploding. :ohmy:
poppies4.jpg

Attachments

• poppies3.jpg
    poppies3.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 192
They sorta look like Zitroens - but the last thing I know are cars.

Nobody guessed. I assume you meant Citroens. No, but not a completely bad guess. Most people guess 1950s Ferrari.

The cars are actually Apollos. Body designed and built in Italy, then shipped to America where they got Buick V8 engines and drive trains.

Buick built a fantastic small V8 in the early sixties. It was WAY ahead of it's time for the USA market. Aluminum block and heads. Real European level stuff. But, "Mercans" wanted giant cast iron V8s. A 215 Cubic Inch V8 didn't sell here. Same thing happened to the first American overhead cam engine. My dad owned one, a 68 Pontiac Tempest with an OHC six cylinder. Discontinued in one year due to low sales numbers. Buick sold the engine design to Land Rover after a few years of dismal sales here. LR used it for a good 30 years, or more.

Not a whole lot has changed for people who grew up in that era. The Corvette is still using a 1950s huge pushrod V8. Well, for now. The next generation Vette looking more European. Maybe GM is tired of selling Corvettes for $20K below sticker price.

CD

Cheryl, those flower photos are gorgeous! Did you take them? I especially like the tiny blueish flowers sharing the spotlight with the poppies in this second photo:

attachment.php

LOL - CD - I knew there was something wrong with the spelling but truth to tell I had lemon zest on my mind and I thought I had the vowels wrong!

When we went to Germany in '57 my father had just bought a '56 Ford, Salmon Pink in the middle and top and bottom a darker Dusty Rose (or something like that) which we took with us. (have only ever once seen that colour combination on a car since)

Big American cars were stared at and my father thought to blend in more by purchasing a second car, a Citroen. Little did he realize that it was the first year for the new styling of their car - so it got as many stares as the Ford.

Even when we brought it back to Canada with us - nobody knew what it was.

Thank you, Taxy, dragn, and CG. They sure are pretty. Even here in town, the desert floor is green and bursting with flowers. Enjoying it for as long as they last. :flowers:

CG....no, they are not my pics. I should have mentioned that. I got them from the FB poppy site. :yum: I have some from a couple of years ago though....I'll try to find them.

Back
Top Bottom