"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #1811
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Western Electric. I worked for Ohio Bell for 11 years. And what taxy said.
Thanks CG. Once again you have come to my rescue from another senior moment. Of course every time I see a candlestick phone, I want it. Then I come to my senses and remember that you need two hands to use it and can't walk around with it.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #1812
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's the same dial tone Addie. It's whether or not the phone system still understands pulse dialing. I know it still does here. Stirling's phone line is a pulse line and it won't connect if we dial using tones. We aren't changing it until Bell quits charging extra for tone.
I just asked Pirate if he knew of anyone who has a rotary phone. He told me his best friend's mother still has one. She is blind and has a great bit of difficulty trying to learn the touch tone. So her kids decided to let her keep her rotary dial. Every so often she gets a notice about how much easier it would be if she had a touch tone phone. He also has some friends that own a summer cabin up in Maine. They keep a rotary dial phone up there and turn it on for the summer only. So I am surprised that we still have it here in Boston.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #1813
Master Chef

CG, love that story of the 'big birds' following you to the rock! That's a great pic!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #1814
Master Chef

Kgirl and CG, you don't hear of many who love those old phones! I've got a friend who has one even older than that - it's black, and before the time of the curly wires. She looked long and hard for it.

I love antiques and the ones I have mean a lot to me - I've got a curio cabinet full of them, almost all from my grandmother and great grandmother. There are probably some worth a pretty penny, but they're not going anywhere, at least in my lifetime - they'll go to my daughters and I'm pretty sure they will keep them, too.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:08 AM   #1815
Master Chef

Sky pics this evening. Cloudy and rainy one minute, bright sunset the next. The weather sure does change fast here.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #1816
Master Chef

You have the most beautiful sunsets Cheryl!

Thought you'd all like to take a look at these remarkable drone photo's, many will take your breath away! Drones are illegal in many of these places now, so these pictures will likely be one of a kind. I went back to some of the links here and it was time very well spent. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Illegal drone photos of the most beautiful places on earth - Business Insider

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:24 PM   #1817
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Thought you'd all like to take a look at these remarkable drone photo's, many will take your breath away! Drones are illegal in many of these places now, so these pictures will likely be one of a kind. I went back to some of the links here and it was time very well spent. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

WOW, that kept coming out of my mouth over and over again, WOW!!!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #1818
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Thanks Kay! I saved your link to look at a little later this evening.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:34 PM   #1819
Master Chef

Kayelle, those ARE some amazing photos! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #1820
Master Chef

I'm glad you're enjoying the eye popping photography too. We feel so lucky to have seen many of these places at ground level, it's almost unworldly to see the bird's eye view. WOW is right!
My personal opinion is drone photography should be banned now, but I'm sure glad these pictures exist. I'd love to have a wall of these pictures framed.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote