"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #2131
Sous Chef

A buck from Cade's Cove yesterday.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #2132
Chef Extraordinaire

Addie, I zoomed in on that animal in the distance and it looks more like a bird. Although it's a bit blurry, the shape at the top is more like wings than an animal head and back. Maybe Rick has a better view with his original image and can tell us what it is.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #2133
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Addie, I zoomed in on that animal in the distance and it looks more like a bird. Although it's a bit blurry, the shape at the top is more like wings than an animal head and back. Maybe Rick has a better view with his original image and can tell us what it is.
I think you're right.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #2134
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
RP, the picture with the zebras has what looks like a cheetah or some other cat in the background running to make a catch. Or he is being chased by a lion. Beautiful pictures. Very talented.
I don't think so. There is a fish eagle flying above the herd and a few other birds around in the photo, but no cats. I have good photos of lions, cheetahs, and leopards, but none making a kill. They were all just lying in the shade trying to stay cool at the times when we saw them.

I have a photo of a pack of African Wild Dogs (also called painted wolf) on the hunt, but they never caught up to anything while we could see them. They had an injured hyena following them hoping for some leftovers. You can see the dog that is farthest from the camera looking back to where the hyena is hiding. Two of the dogs have tracking collars. The wild dog is endangered.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #2135
Certified Pretend Chef

Fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #2136
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paymaster View Post
A buck from Cade's Cove yesterday.

Is that a whitetail? I've only seen one or two ever. We mostly have mule deer out here, with just an occasional whitetail in the brushy stream bottoms. Also see Pronghorn antelope regularly, but never close enough to be worth trying to photograph with the lenses I have.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #2137
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Is that a whitetail? I've only seen one or two ever. We mostly have mule deer out here, with just an occasional whitetail in the brushy stream bottoms. Also see Pronghorn antelope regularly, but never close enough to be worth trying to photograph with the lenses I have.
Yes. This is a whitetail. I got to within about 20 yards of him. The deer at Cade's Cove in the Smoky Mountain National Park are quite wild but don't fear humans much due to them never being harassed. They are protected there.
I got pretty close to this one too.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #2138
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
All these pictures of deer reminded me of photos I took in Denmark in Jægersborg Dyrehave, about 10 km north of Copenhagen. It's a park that a king had built for his private hunting. It is now public and no hunting is allowed. The deer are very tame and well taken care of and fed.

This pic shows how close photographers can get. I took the picture from a horse drawn carriage that my mother hired for a tour of the park. You can see the lamp on the carriage on the right. On the left, is one of the feeding stations.

Here's a Sika deer, imported from Japan.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #2139
Chef Extraordinaire

Also from Jægersborg Dyrehave, the palace/hunting lodge built for the king. It has no bedrooms. It has a kitchen in the basement and a very large table that comes up through the floor like an elevator.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #2140
Chef Extraordinaire

And another one from Jægersborg Dyrehave. These burial mounds have been put off limits to archeologists for now. They will be the last mounds opened in Denmark.