"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #2411
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks, everyone...definitely a labor of love. Several townsfolk have stopped and complimented my work. They are happy to see someone taking care of the yard. The lady who originally owned the house was a beloved teacher at the high school.

And the flyswatters (there are more) were to bring in some inexpensive color and a reminder to the yard kid to not mow over.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #2412
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks, everyone...definitely a labor of love. Several townsfolk have stopped and complimented my work. They are happy to see someone taking care of the yard. The lady who originally owned the house was a beloved teacher at the high school.

And the flyswatters (there are more) were to bring in some inexpensive color and a reminder to the yard kid to not mow over.
PF, I am curious. How difficult was it to break that sod? I ask because when I was able to garden, at one home that had been neglected, turning that dirt over required a sharpened fork and tons of labor. And I live in the northeast where the dirt is much easier to turn over.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #2413
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
PF, I am curious. How difficult was it to break that sod? I ask because when I was able to garden, at one home that had been neglected, turning that dirt over required a sharpened fork and tons of labor. And I live in the northeast where the dirt is much easier to turn over.
The sod has 3 inches of thatch on top, so it is a huge chore to break it up and haul away. One day to remove the sod and a second to turn, feed and groom the soil. I am also afficted with a wheelbarrow that is too big for me and I end up dumping it in spots I don't want to dump. Clean that up and on to the next load. I am getting some much needed soil into the back yard. I've managed to kill all the weeds, just need to rototill it all under for next year.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #2414
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The sod has 3 inches of thatch on top, so it is a huge chore to break it up and haul away. One day to remove the sod and a second to turn, feed and groom the soil. I am also afficted with a wheelbarrow that is too big for me and I end up dumping it in spots I don't want to dump. Clean that up and on to the next load. I am getting some much needed soil into the back yard. I've managed to kill all the weeds, just need to rototill it all under for next year.
Any help from Dad? Would he have a smaller wheelbarrow? I know how tempting loading it up is, but try for smaller lighter loads. See if that helps any. Being on the small side, I really have to listen to my body when I have a chore to do. Just how much can I do safely without putting a strain on my heart. And the sternum bone that never heals from open heart surgery, reminds me when I am trying too hard. To this day I still can't sweep or vacuum without pain in that area.

But the yard is looking really good.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #2415
Master Chef

Enjoyed the pics, Princess and GG!

Princess...so nice that people are stopping by and commenting on your yard. It looks like such a nice little quiet, small-town neighborhood. My idea of heaven on earth.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:54 AM   #2416
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Enjoyed the pics, Princess and GG!

Princess...so nice that people are stopping by and commenting on your yard. It looks like such a nice little quiet, small-town neighborhood. My idea of heaven on earth.
Wait till your poppies come in next spring, Dawg's butterfly garden should be coming up then, too.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #2417
Master Chef

Quote:
Wait till your poppies come in next spring, Dawg's butterfly garden should be coming up then, too.
Looking forward to seeing the bursts of color!
Old 06-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #2418
Head Chef

These attached photos are intended as encouragement for Princess F and others who are doing a reclamation project. I moved here in 2010 -- the back yard, enclosed by a board fence, was the happy playground for a pair of large German Shepherds. Consequently it had seemed a futile effort to grow anything but trees. The very sandy soil was not helpful -- the opposite of the thatch and tough roots that you are dealing with, PF. So here are the before and after of some 6 years of amending soil, watering through the dry winters, etc., etc. Having no dogs, I'm using the former dog house as a garden shed. It's stuffed to the gills with hoses, rakes, hoes, trimmers and so on.

Full speed ahead, PF!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beck Yard 001.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	24905   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6061144.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	24906  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beck St Outside 025.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	24907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog House-***-Garden Shed lc.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	24908  

Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #2419
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks for the encouragement Lizzie! Your yard looks great!
Old 06-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #2420
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
These attached photos are intended as encouragement for Princess F and others who are doing a reclamation project. I moved here in 2010 -- the back yard, enclosed by a board fence, was the happy playground for a pair of large German Shepherds. Consequently it had seemed a futile effort to grow anything but trees. The very sandy soil was not helpful -- the opposite of the thatch and tough roots that you are dealing with, PF. So here are the before and after of some 6 years of amending soil, watering through the dry winters, etc., etc. Having no dogs, I'm using the former dog house as a garden shed. It's stuffed to the gills with hoses, rakes, hoes, trimmers and so on.

Full speed ahead, PF!
An amazing transformation!

When I look at these pictures of projects that involve so much imagination and elbow grease I feel better about living in an apartment, I'm much better at starting projects than I am at finishing them!