"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #2411
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,292
Thanks, everyone...definitely a labor of love. Several townsfolk have stopped and complimented my work. They are happy to see someone taking care of the yard. The lady who originally owned the house was a beloved teacher at the high school.

And the flyswatters (there are more) were to bring in some inexpensive color and a reminder to the yard kid to not mow over.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #2412
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks, everyone...definitely a labor of love. Several townsfolk have stopped and complimented my work. They are happy to see someone taking care of the yard. The lady who originally owned the house was a beloved teacher at the high school.

And the flyswatters (there are more) were to bring in some inexpensive color and a reminder to the yard kid to not mow over.
PF, I am curious. How difficult was it to break that sod? I ask because when I was able to garden, at one home that had been neglected, turning that dirt over required a sharpened fork and tons of labor. And I live in the northeast where the dirt is much easier to turn over.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #2413
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
PF, I am curious. How difficult was it to break that sod? I ask because when I was able to garden, at one home that had been neglected, turning that dirt over required a sharpened fork and tons of labor. And I live in the northeast where the dirt is much easier to turn over.
The sod has 3 inches of thatch on top, so it is a huge chore to break it up and haul away. One day to remove the sod and a second to turn, feed and groom the soil. I am also afficted with a wheelbarrow that is too big for me and I end up dumping it in spots I don't want to dump. Clean that up and on to the next load. I am getting some much needed soil into the back yard. I've managed to kill all the weeds, just need to rototill it all under for next year.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #2414
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The sod has 3 inches of thatch on top, so it is a huge chore to break it up and haul away. One day to remove the sod and a second to turn, feed and groom the soil. I am also afficted with a wheelbarrow that is too big for me and I end up dumping it in spots I don't want to dump. Clean that up and on to the next load. I am getting some much needed soil into the back yard. I've managed to kill all the weeds, just need to rototill it all under for next year.
Any help from Dad? Would he have a smaller wheelbarrow? I know how tempting loading it up is, but try for smaller lighter loads. See if that helps any. Being on the small side, I really have to listen to my body when I have a chore to do. Just how much can I do safely without putting a strain on my heart. And the sternum bone that never heals from open heart surgery, reminds me when I am trying too hard. To this day I still can't sweep or vacuum without pain in that area.

But the yard is looking really good.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #2415
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,302
Enjoyed the pics, Princess and GG!

Princess...so nice that people are stopping by and commenting on your yard. It looks like such a nice little quiet, small-town neighborhood. My idea of heaven on earth.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:54 AM   #2416
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Enjoyed the pics, Princess and GG!

Princess...so nice that people are stopping by and commenting on your yard. It looks like such a nice little quiet, small-town neighborhood. My idea of heaven on earth.
Wait till your poppies come in next spring, Dawg's butterfly garden should be coming up then, too.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #2417
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wait till your poppies come in next spring, Dawg's butterfly garden should be coming up then, too.
Looking forward to seeing the bursts of color!
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #2418
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
These attached photos are intended as encouragement for Princess F and others who are doing a reclamation project. I moved here in 2010 -- the back yard, enclosed by a board fence, was the happy playground for a pair of large German Shepherds. Consequently it had seemed a futile effort to grow anything but trees. The very sandy soil was not helpful -- the opposite of the thatch and tough roots that you are dealing with, PF. So here are the before and after of some 6 years of amending soil, watering through the dry winters, etc., etc. Having no dogs, I'm using the former dog house as a garden shed. It's stuffed to the gills with hoses, rakes, hoes, trimmers and so on.

Full speed ahead, PF!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beck Yard 001.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	24905   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6061144.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	24906  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beck St Outside 025.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	24907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog House-***-Garden Shed lc.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	24908  

__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #2419
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,292
Thanks for the encouragement Lizzie! Your yard looks great!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #2420
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
These attached photos are intended as encouragement for Princess F and others who are doing a reclamation project. I moved here in 2010 -- the back yard, enclosed by a board fence, was the happy playground for a pair of large German Shepherds. Consequently it had seemed a futile effort to grow anything but trees. The very sandy soil was not helpful -- the opposite of the thatch and tough roots that you are dealing with, PF. So here are the before and after of some 6 years of amending soil, watering through the dry winters, etc., etc. Having no dogs, I'm using the former dog house as a garden shed. It's stuffed to the gills with hoses, rakes, hoes, trimmers and so on.

Full speed ahead, PF!
An amazing transformation!

When I look at these pictures of projects that involve so much imagination and elbow grease I feel better about living in an apartment, I'm much better at starting projects than I am at finishing them!
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.