"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #2421
Head Chef

Thanks, guys. Yard work is my favorite thing to do. I have a lot of respect for the crafters who labor away stitching and knotting gifts for others. I have my first ever cross-stitch project in its bag on the shelf, it's two years old now and it may grow a beard before I ever get to it.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #2422
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah PF and Lizzie. There is some deeper inner satisfaction with helping Mother Earth become beautiful again after so much neglect. I loved the feeling of coming in after a hot day digging in the dirt. I almost hated to see that good dirt go down the drain as I showered.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #2423
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
...So here are the before and after of some 6 years of amending soil, watering through the dry winters, etc., etc...
What an amazing difference in just a half-decade. Forget that cross stitch project - your skills are definitely in the garden. Besides, you probably had a lousy teacher. Nice conversion on that dog house. Dog House. How BIG were those Shepherds?
Old 06-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #2424
Head Chef

I appreciate the kind words, folks. If I recall correctly those Shepherds were 60 lbs. or so each and very active.............

CG, if my cross-stitching didn't get off the ground (which it obviously did not) I certainly can't blame the excellent coaching you were kind enough to share. For some reason I find it easier to use a shovel than a needle.

And Addie, you're an inspiration with that busy brain - you seem to be interested in everything, with lots and lots of life experience under your belt.

Here's a photo of one of the rewards of gardening. This is a Zebra, the State butterfly of Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	best Zebra 6 2 2016.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	24910  
Old 06-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #2425
Master Chef

Beautiful yard, tinlizzie....and I just LOVE that butterfly pic!
Old 06-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #2426
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I appreciate the kind words, folks. If I recall correctly those Shepherds were 60 lbs. or so each and very active.............

CG, if my cross-stitching didn't get off the ground (which it obviously did not) I certainly can't blame the excellent coaching you were kind enough to share. For some reason I find it easier to use a shovel than a needle.

And Addie, you're an inspiration with that busy brain - you seem to be interested in everything, with lots and lots of life experience under your belt.
Here's a photo of one of the rewards of gardening. This is a Zebra, the State butterfly of Florida.
You are right. As I said before, I raised five kids, out lived two husbands, one child and have lived from Massachusetts to Texas to Hawaii and Washington State and back home in that time. Kids are all grown. They youngest is in Vermont practicing Medicine in an ER. I finished raising my oldest granddaughter who now has her oldest child in college and old enough to (heaven forbid) make me a Great, great grandmother. I have 17 grand and great grandchildren. My oldest two boys are now disabled. Spike from eight heart attacks, and Pirate from 20 plus years of carpet installing. A profession I do not recommend to any kid. It wrecks havoc on your knees from "kicking" in carpet. If anyone out there has a kid that is not college material, send them to plumbing school. Good money and you can specialize in what you want to do. Pirate went in that direction after he quit carpets, but by then the damage had already been done. After ten years he had to quit and apply for disability.

Anywhere I have lived, I learned something new. Specially in cooking. My mother was my greatest influence in that area. My father is the one who taught me to love embroidery. Knitting and crocheting I learned from my Aunt Lolo. She was a family favorite member to all of us kids. She had a stroke that took away her ability to speak, yet she managed to always get her message across.

I am old enough to remember the tail end of WWII and definitely the Korean War. If I hadn't chosen to get married at an early age, I would have chosen to go into nursing or music. Or to use music to calm the savage beast called pain. For a year I worked with a children's choir teaching them how to sing in harmony. The church organist didn't seem to know how to get it across to them. So I had her tell me what hymn she wanted them to sing two weeks away, and I would teach them to learn the hymn only singing the alto. They never heard the melody until their last rehearsal with me. During the final last rehearsal, they would join the sopranos and be ready for Sunday services. I also had to teach the organist my method. To this day, you will hear me singing hymns in Latin as I wash dishes or other housework. And I find myself harmonizing when I hear a song that I love. Go figure. I am protestant. But I did take Latin in high school. Of all the Latin hymns my all time favorite is Ave Verum by Mozart.

My apologies for the length.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #2427
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Beautiful yard, tinlizzie....and I just LOVE that butterfly pic!
Thanks, Cheryl. That's a Firebush he's perched on - a native plant that attracts lots of butterflies, like this Monarch, and bees. I hope to see a hummingbird feeding on it some day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monarch on Firebush 6 6 2016.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	24916  
Old 06-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #2428
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Beautiful Butterflies! I've taken the weekend off from yard work, except for watering, it's just too hot and I am tired. Been working extra shifts...
Old 06-19-2016, 11:52 PM   #2429
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Beautiful Butterflies! I've taken the weekend off from yard work, except for watering, it's just too hot and I am tired. Been working extra shifts...
Next week spend some time where you and Shrek go someplace special.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:24 AM   #2430
Master Chef

Quote:
...CG, if my cross-stitching didn't get off the ground (which it obviously did not) I certainly can't blame the excellent coaching you were kind enough to share. For some reason I find it easier to use a shovel than a needle...
Then follow your bliss, lizzie. The butterflies and bees need you more that that piece of fabric does. Love your wildlife center. You could charge admissions.