"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #2521
Master Chef

Is that a turtle or a tortoise? Turtles live in water not on land.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #2522
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It's definitely a box turtle, which, while not a tortoise, is still a land reptile.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Box turtles (also known as crescent turtles) are turtles of the genus Terrapene native to North America (United States and Mexico). They are also known as box tortoises,[3] although box turtles are terrestrial members of the American pond turtle family (Emydidae), and not members of the tortoise family (Testudinidae).

Old 08-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #2523
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
It's definitely a box turtle, which, while not a tortoise, is still a land reptile.

From Wikipedia:
Thanks Rick. After I asked the question I went investigating also. Might know there's lots of questions and answers here with some interesting reading..
Box turtles are...Turtles? | Tortoise Forum

At any rate they sure are cute although we don't have them here. We had pet California Desert Tortoises when my boys were growing up.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #2524
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Turtles can be found on land, though. Ponds and small lakes abound in our area. Like people, turtles often look for a bigger, better home (pond). Every spring, a local organization puts up signs that warn "Look out for turtles" at points along the roadways where there are a lot of ponds. Every once in a while you'll see a splat mark on the road. Someone wasn't watching...
Old 08-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #2525
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Turtles also like to bask in the sun...
Old 08-21-2016, 12:42 AM   #2526
Head Chef

The box turtle is exclusively a land dweller. It would have to be out here, since from where I found him, he would be days, if not weeks, from the nearest standing water, and that's even if he knew where to find it. It was 14 miles in a straight line to the South Platte river, and that would have been his best bet if he was actually looking for water. Fortunately for him that's not his preferred habitat.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #2527
Head Chef

For my first 17 years, all of our summertime household water came from one of these. From the time I was big enough to carry the pail, it was my job to fetch water from the pump, which was in front of my aunt's cabin, about 100 yards from our clapboard summer cabin on Balsam Lake, Wisconsin. Prime the pump, refill the priming can, then fill the pail and lug it back to our kitchen.

We didn't even have electricity until the late '50s. I remember many an evening playing cards with my mother and grandmother in the light of a kerosene lamp. Strangely, we never felt underprivileged, even though we were by far the poorest summer residents that I knew. Our only watercraft was my grandmother's canoe while all of my friends had motorboats, yet the canoe was important in our circle of summer friends. It was commonly towed around the lake behind a boat, then we fished, or hunted turtles or frogs, from the canoe.

It was really a rather idyllic time in my life.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #2528
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
For my first 17 years, all of our summertime household water came from one of these. From the time I was big enough to carry the pail, it was my job to fetch water from the pump, which was in front of my aunt's cabin, about 100 yards from our clapboard summer cabin on Balsam Lake, Wisconsin. Prime the pump, refill the priming can, then fill the pail and lug it back to our kitchen.

We didn't even have electricity until the late '50s. I remember many an evening playing cards with my mother and grandmother in the light of a kerosene lamp. Strangely, we never felt underprivileged, even though we were by far the poorest summer residents that I knew. Our only watercraft was my grandmother's canoe while all of my friends had motorboats, yet the canoe was important in our circle of summer friends. It was commonly towed around the lake behind a boat, then we fished, or hunted turtles or frogs, from the canoe.

It was really a rather idyllic time in my life.

As a Girl Scout in my childhood, our summer camp also had one of them. We always went camping towards the last two weeks of August. The mornings were always quite chilly. We started alphabetically as to whose turn it was to go out and prime the pump. It never got to me initial K. Yea!

My mother also had one outside the summer kitchen. When canning began, that was the only time it went into use. The first priming was always done with boiling water. We did have running water inside the house kitchen. It was a soapstone sink and the faucets were attached above in the wall.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #2529
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Anyone know what kind of mushroom these are? They're prolific under our pine trees. I'm thinking they might be a kind of bolete, they have a honeycomb gill pattern. And I don't plan on eating them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1473026971.812080.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	25318Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1473027003.339625.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	25319
Old 09-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #2530
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
For better identification, you could pick a few. Put some on white paper and others on black paper. Next morning, see what colour the spores are - the ones that fall on the paper.