Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BT, nice photo of your son. I'll have to send some guys down to paint a Bruins sweater on that statue.

Have you ever rented BBQ from that place in the picture?

rock, my brother is a habs fan. he was a kid in tbe 50's and 60's, montreal's golden years.

i kind of have a soft spot in my heart for them per marty brodeur.

just a small spot though. maybe non-hatred is better said, unlike the broad street bullies and the suit and tie rangers.

I like Marty too. Who doesn't? I was just kidding about the Devils. They have been a better team over the last 20 years than my beloved Canadians. But, it's hockey. And ya gotta chirp!!

When we lived on the North Oregon Coast a couple years ago we did a lot of crabbing and clamming. Thought you might like to see what we were catching.

These are Dungeness Crab and that is Zippy .. always checking them out but way too fast to get pinched!

img_1245671_0_8b187273a8a788d29b27a644ddb3eabd.jpg

These are razor clams. It was a ton of fun to dig these guys .. they are really quick. Again .. Zippy loved going with us .. he could sniff them out .. he would start digging in the sand and there was always a clam there.

img_1245671_1_ad3b0dfd27bf2000406127e5fc04d752.jpg

We had awesome wildlife there .. we had a nesting pair of Bald Eagles about 3 blocks from our place.

img_1245671_2_0081e6e24917e313f8c16edf4d0aecb0.jpg

Really cool pics, LMB.
I've never dug clams so have no idea what that thing is hanging out... looks like they are both eating grubs, lol.

those are their siphons, or mouth parts for lack of a better term.

mrslmb, they look like young geoducks rather than razor clams.

eta: i stand corrected. seems that pacific razor clams have that big siphon.

i've been looking for a place here that sells either. for less than like $150 each, that is.

Last edited:
I didn't know that. That movie was a classic.
There will probably be stoned kids watching it 20 years from now at midnight with tin foil wrapped on their hands and tossing ice cubes in the air.

those are their siphons, or mouth parts for lack of a better term.

mrslmb, they look like young geoducks rather than razor clams.

eta: i stand corrected. seems that pacific razor clams have that big siphon.

i've been looking for a place here that sells either. for less than like $150 each, that is.

Right you are bucky .. they are razors and they are delicious. Geoducks are also good .. never took a photo of those :(

We paid $5 for the license to dig for a year .. needed the clam gun, net bags and lanterns for after dark digging. Pretty cheap for such a wonderful food. And now that we are out here landlocked we almost never find them for sale and when we do on that rare occasion it almost takes a mortgage to get them ! And to think we had a freezer full of those clams and crab.

We get razor clams on the East Coast also. But they aren't anywhere near that size. The shells are really thin, and the animal is not worth going after. They make great food for the seagulls. They take them up in the air and drop them on the rocks to break open. Then you are left with very sharp shards of shells on and in the sands to cut open bare feet. :angel:

oh, i love both eastern razor clams and ipswich clams.

the razor clams here are more long and straight without a noticeable siphon, and the ones that look like pacific razors or geoducks are called piss or ipswich clams.

i've had razors steamed open and simply dressed with persillade, and the ipswich are steamed and served with ghee and some of the salty water they were steamed in.

oh, i love both eastern razor clams and ipswich clams.

the razor clams here are more long and straight without a noticeable siphon, and the ones that look like pacific razors or geoducks are called piss or ipswich clams.

i've had razors steamed open and simply dressed with persillade, and the ipswich are steamed and served with ghee and some of the salty water they were steamed in.

Now we have massive beds of Ipswich clams right up in Ipswich, MA. We can buy them right there in town. But they aren't like razor clams. They are regular looking clams, but much sweeter and more meatier. And their shells are more solid. My ultimate favorite shellfish food. The one seafood I can eat without worrying about how much iodine is in them. I guess it is all in where you live. :angel:

that's why i thought the pics of pacific razors were geoducks, but apparently, it's all in the name. pacific razors look like giant ipswich (or soft shell, or piss) clams. eastern razors are long and straight, like an old time straight razor.

technically, ipswich clams can only come from plum island sound. but many consider ones that come from essex, gloucester, newbury, or rowley to be the same. the name has caught on for all eastern soft shells with that distinctive siphon, though. again, it's just a name.

I had Cherrystone (?) Clams when I was in New Hampshire...gosh that was a long time ago. They were served raw and I liked it!

topnecks, littlenecks, and cherrystones are all small versions of quahogs, or hard shell clams.

smaller ones (topnecks, littlenecks) can be eaten raw or steamed, middle sized ones like cherrystones are usually steamed but can be eaten raw if they're high quality, and quahogs, the big boys, are or fried or chopped for things like soups and pasta dishes.

Last edited:
Thanks, I never knew all of that. I just followed along to buy them and was happily perched on a stool eating them.

when i was around 18 or 19, my church's softball team would have a picnic, and on the early morning of would send two of the guys in a van up the coast to buy about 75 dozen littlenecks from several fish mongers to be back that afternoon. after that aftermoon's game, we'd tap a few kegs (the drinking age was still only 18 back then) and start shucking and sucking down those little raw beauties with just a squirt of lemon, while a grill was fired up to cook dogs and burgers for those squeamish folks that didn't like eating raw, live clams. :)

LOL! Everytime we get together we end up talking about food...:ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom