"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #2851
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixamnis View Post
Solid Oak, one-by material. The top is a 1x8 and a 1x12 glued together. The middle shelf and bottom shelves and the sides and dividers are all two 1x8s glued together.

My wife was concerned about it being strong enough to hold our grandkids if they played on it. This is while I was sanding it down, getting ready for the stain. It took off my shoes and jumped up on it and started jumping up and down. Then I said, "I think we're good." I suspect it would hold well over 1000 pounds before bowing or creaking, but I'm not going to test that theory.

I didn't have any plans for the design. I just sort of "drew it up" in my head before starting the work on it.

It is about 4 feet wide, 16 inches deep and 18 inches high.
It is beautiful. If I didn't have a cedar chest, I would be interested n the specs to make a bench like it.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #2852
Executive Chef

WOW, I too have not looked at this thread for a bit. Wonderful pics guys! Sunsets and all, grandkids - soo cute, ixamnis... gonna send you the dimensions for the gun safe hidey hole I need... LOL

Came on here to post a question... just as soon as I figure out what the category is... LOL. meanwhile I cruise the other threads and get lost.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #2853
Master Chef

Loving the recent pics here! ixamnis, beautiful woodworking! You have a great talent.

cjm.....what sweet little grands...looks like they had so much fun!

Kay...LOVE your little patio succulent garden. Succulents are so beautiful and do so well without much fuss. That little bird looks real.

There was a roadrunner on my driveway this afternoon when I went out to get the mail...I don't know who freaked each other out first . I wished I had my phone on me to take a pic, but at least an 'ACME' brand anvil didn't fall on my head. (only understandable to those who watched the Wile E Coyote and Roadrunner cartoons...LOL)
Old 05-23-2017, 01:14 AM   #2854
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Cheryl, did you notice the pretty shoot with the yellow bell blossoms in the foreground? It's kinda hard to see at first.
WOW....I just love Roadrunners! I saw one in the neighborhood not long ago. They're soooooo cool!! Beep Beep...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:25 AM   #2855
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks Cheryl, did you notice the pretty shoot with the yellow bell blossoms in the foreground? It's kinda hard to see at first.
WOW....I just love Roadrunners! I saw one in the neighborhood not long ago. They're soooooo cool!! Beep Beep...
Yep, sure did, Kay. That was what I saw first!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:33 AM   #2856
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
WOW, I too have not looked at this thread for a bit. Wonderful pics guys! Sunsets and all, grandkids - soo cute, ixamnis... gonna send you the dimensions for the gun safe hidey hole I need... LOL

Came on here to post a question... just as soon as I figure out what the category is... LOL. meanwhile I cruise the other threads and get lost.
I don't think there's any particular category here, but I get what you're saying....! The photo thread kind of stands on it's own and can lead to all kinds of discussion. It's one of my faves.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:59 AM   #2857
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixamnis View Post
My wife wants to add a cushion for the top. I hadn't thought about it, honestly. Once sanded down after the final coats of lacquer, it will be very smooth, but obviously a little hard. The height is slightly shorter than a standard dining room chair, though, so very comfortable to sit on. However, my wife wants to put something over it to protect the wood from scratching. As far as I'm concerned, it's made to be used and if it scratches, it will just add character.
Your work is just too pretty and attractive to add scratches. A lovey velvet cushion held on with small pieces of Velcro. The grandchildren could take a nap on it.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #2858
Head Chef

Thank you all or the comments on the granddaughter. The baby in a couple of the pictures is not my grandchild, that is her half-brother. My DD and her s/o live about a 4 hour drive south of me. Her oldest daughters bio-dad lives about a 1.5 hour drive to the north of me. So they often use my hometown as a meeting place. I don't mind, gives me more time to spend with my cute granddaughters and I will even offer to have the bio-dad and his current s/o and baby at the house for a while if weather conditions won't allow them to do things outside.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #2859
Executive Chef

Some photos from last week's camping trip to Iowa. My wife wanted to search out some of the barn quilts of Grundy County. Using the map from their website and the GPS in the F-150, we found 22 there, plus a few more the next couple of days in areas outside of Grundy County.

What they are is quilt patterns painted on barns - I'd never heard of them until Kendra started talking about wanting to see them. The idea began in Ohio, and has been repeated in several farming regions through the midwest.

Our first stop was in NE Nebraska at Willow Creek State Rec Area:

Then a few of the barns:

Old 05-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #2860
Chef Extraordinaire

Nice rig you have there Rick, and what a fun plan to see all those quilt patterns on the old barns!! Americana at it's best on the open road!!
Love the pictures!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote