"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2018, 11:46 PM   #3231
Master Chef

Love the critter stories! We have a large quail population here. It's fun to stop and watch a covey of quail and the little babies cross the street. They are so cute. It's common to see roadrunners around here, too. I've even seen them in my garage when I have the door open - I guess they are hiding from the Coyote's ACME anvil.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:07 AM   #3232
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I had to wait for a huge tom (turkey) to cross the road this morning as I was driving home. He stopped right in the middle of the road,
I honked at him, and with every bit of Jersey attitude he just glared at me and walked slowly off. I think he even moon walked a bit, just to be a dick.
Ever driven on a dirt road inside a cattle ranch with bulls?

I used to do it a lot in my duck hunting days. There is a very non-intuitive way to safely win the "stare-down," but you have to commit to it and not stop. When they paw the dirt with a hoof and lower their horns at you, it really tests your resolve.

The cows just move out of the way.

CD

Old 02-25-2018, 01:23 AM   #3233
Chef Extraordinaire

Love the photos of your "pet" geese, Cheryl and dragn.

The first 7 or 8 years we lived here, we had a flock of wild turkeys that would wander through our yard twice a day, going uphill in the morning and back downhill to their "home" in the late afternoon. We took to leaving cracked corn on a giant flat rock just into our woods from the grassy area in the back yard. It got to the point that if they were nearby and could see me and my white, 5-gallon bucket of corn heading to the rock, they would chortle and run, following me to their dinner table. They stood respectfully at a distance, waiting for me to cast the corn, then run to the rock once I was heading back towards the house. I thought they were so cute, I ended up tossing out bonus sunflower seeds to the stinkers.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #3234
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Ever driven on a dirt road inside a cattle ranch with bulls?

I used to do it a lot in my duck hunting days. There is a very non-intuitive way to safely win the "stare-down," but you have to commit to it and not stop. When they paw the dirt with a hoof and lower their horns at you, it really tests your resolve.

The cows just move out of the way.

CD
I've been trout fishing in Wisconsin that was something similar. As you walked along the stream through the cow's fields, I was warned to look out for the field where a bull might be kept. If you fished there, the local guys said if you hear snorting and stomping behind you, it would probably be a good idea to jump in the stream or risk being run over when the bull found you.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #3235
Executive Chef

This is probably the least interesting photo I've ever posted here, but what the heck! There is a current discussion on a fishing forum (Bass Resource) about hook points and sharpness. One of the members was posting some photos he took through his Nikon microscope, and I was curious how I could do with my Canon camera and my 100mm image stabilized macro lens. This is the result, processed and cropped in Lightroom. My light source was a hand held tac flashlight.

The hook is a weighted Owner Twist Lock 4.0, generally used for soft plastic worms and grubs:

Old 03-03-2018, 06:51 AM   #3236
Executive Chef

In your dreams!

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:59 AM   #3237
Executive Chef

I'm sure it worked out okay for whoever had to go in there and fix something.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #3238
Executive Chef

not to worry Caslon, he just has to wait until the dog finishes. When it fall over the animal will either be crushed or electrocuted.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #3239
Executive Chef

I was working in Austin a week or so back, and love that city. Their motto is Keep Austin Weird.

I pulled up behind this car covered in artificial turf.

CD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	29469  
Old 03-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #3240
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
How is that allowed, to cover up the back window?