"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #3261
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
My new Mazda has a back up camera. It's really hard for this old school driver to get used to since I learned to drive in 1959. Ykies..
It's not that hard to add a new source of information on what's in back of you. I'm in your age group (high school class of '64), maybe a few years younger, but I try to embrace useful technology. The camera took some getting used to, but that combined with the warning beeper and mirrors tells me everything I should have to know about what's hiding behind me. Parking lots are especially hazardous when backing a 4x4 pickup - short people can be totally invisible to mirrors and eyes when they're behind the tailgate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Our current car has a camera. I’m conflicted using it. I find myself switching back and forth among the camera, mirrors, and head turning.
I use all of them as needed. The biggest advantage for me is that with the back up camera, I can quickly hook up the camper by myself. When I get close, I hit the zoom button and I get a perfect view of the hitch. That just means that when packing up to leave a site, my wife doesn't have to stand there giving me directions. She can be doing other things while I hitch up - it gets us on the move that much sooner.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #3262
Executive Chef

A friend installed a camera on my old van. I needed it for hitching the horse trailer alone. Without it I had to jump in and out of the van up to 6 times to get it right. Sort of miss the camera - was useful. Newer ones would be even better but I bought this one straight off the lot as is.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #3263
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
It's not that hard to add a new source of information on what's in back of you. I'm in your age group (high school class of '64), maybe a few years younger, but I try to embrace useful technology. The camera took some getting used to, but that combined with the warning beeper and mirrors tells me everything I should have to know about what's hiding behind me.
I fully agree with you Rick. I never want to be too old to learn new tricks, and I actually like the back up camera now. My last car was a 1999 Caddy and they've come a long way since then. My favorite feature on my new Mazda is the Radar Cruise Control. Now that's the best thing ever!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #3264
Head Chef

Quote:
I fully agree with you Rick. I never want to be too old to learn new tricks, and I actually like the back up camera now. My last car was a 1999 Caddy and they've come a long way since then. My favorite feature on my new Mazda is the Radar Cruise Control. Now that's the best thing ever!!
What a great feature...

Ross
Old 03-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #3265
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
What a great feature...

Ross
No kidding Ross!! As far as I'm concerned Radar CC is the best idea since automatic transmissions. Yesterday I drove for an hour in and out of freeway traffic and used the RCC the whole time. Not only does it not let me tailgate, I never have to worry about my lead foot.

Although my new car is Candy Apple Red, I won't be pulled over for speeding...yet another plus.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #3266
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
No kidding Ross!! As far as I'm concerned Radar CC is the best idea since automatic transmissions. Yesterday I drove for an hour in and out of freeway traffic and used the RCC the whole time. Not only does it not let me tailgate, I never have to worry about my lead foot.

Although my new car is Candy Apple Red, I won't be pulled over for speeding...yet another plus.
But, they will pull you over if you keep driving with your feet on the dashboard and your hands behind your head...
Old 03-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #3267
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
But, they will pull you over if you keep driving with your feet on the dashboard and your hands behind your head...
While I was driving cars to Florida BEFORE the I-95 became a constant literal gridlock - I would cruise along with one foot up on the dash. - whether or not there was cruise control in the car. I could drive with my left foot as easily as my right.

Someone (female I'm guessing from the hand) appreciated it because...
As one car passed me a hand came out the window with a thumbs up!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #3268
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I still have to steer...don't want to give up all control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
While I was driving cars to Florida BEFORE the I-95 became a constant literal gridlock - I would cruise along with one foot up on the dash. - whether or not there was cruise control in the car. I could drive with my left foot as easily as my right.

Someone (female I'm guessing from the hand) appreciated it because...
As one car passed me a hand came out the window with a thumbs up!
I kinda figured it wouldn't be her thumb.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #3269
Executive Chef

Went for drive this morning scouting some local fishing holes. Took a couple of photos.

This one is a little 2 acre pond. It's stitched from 2 wide angle images.

This is just from a corner of Jumbo Reservoir in NE Colorado.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #3270
Executive Chef

With all the work I've been doing, and all the bad weather, I finally got to spend an afternoon cleaning up the "back-forty." Back forty feet, not acres.

I built a new cedar frame for my pepper garden. I got the leaves from the Spring leaf drop from the Live Oak tree cleaned up.

I bought my new pepper and herb plants -- the oregano, thyme and rosemary survived the winter. The new plants go in the ground this week.

Oh, the grass is not dead, just dormant. Bermudagrass does that in the winter. It will start sprouting new, green grass soon.

CD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back40.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	29501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back40-2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	29502