"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #471
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Wow .. didn't expect such a great response to my snowflake ! Glad you all enjoyed it. I have others but you know how it is .. so many pics and not well organized

Anyway .. here's a picture of a mommy cardinal feeding her baby. We have a nesting pair that live in one of our trees. We feed them daily .. all year long. If they are hungry and we haven't gone out to feed them they peck on the patio door glass LOL

If you are not familiar with Cardinals, the female is the one with the orange beak.

AWESOME... inspiring; impressive; awestricken (Webster's)

Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #472
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
Here are a few I took several years ago at Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada. This park is about 40 miles N. of Las Vegas.
Love the cacti flowers. Deserts have a beauty of a different kind.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #473
Chef Extraordinaire

Pretty neat. I didn't know they would continue to feed them once they are out of the nest.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #474
Executive Chef

Quote:
Here are a few I took several years ago at Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada. This park is about 40 miles N. of Las Vegas.

sure is beautiful, cm. it's a real clean, rugged kind of beauty. are the pink flowers related to portculakis by any chance, do you know?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #475
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
sure is beautiful, cm. it's a real clean, rugged kind of beauty. are the pink flowers related to portculakis by any chance, do you know?
No Vitauta. I don't know. I am always amazed at the vastness of fauna & changing beauty of the desert. It really does have a beauty all it's own. This particular park is noted for it's ancient indian hyroglyphics, heiroglyphics, (ancient indian writing)(spelling?) There are caves and indian writings on the rocks everywhere. The sandstone is simply RED. The earth is fine red like talcum powder in places where it has been worn down by nature. A campground with a view of Lake Mead. Endless Hiking.
A beautiful place if you ever get the opportunity
Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #476
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Wow .. didn't expect such a great response to my snowflake ! Glad you all enjoyed it. I have others but you know how it is .. so many pics and not well organized

Anyway .. here's a picture of a mommy cardinal feeding her baby. We have a nesting pair that live in one of our trees. We feed them daily .. all year long. If they are hungry and we haven't gone out to feed them they peck on the patio door glass LOL

If you are not familiar with Cardinals, the female is the one with the orange beak.
I was just so amazed it was a real snowflake! It's so perfect! I almost posted it on Facebook. If it were my picture I would have, but I am not a huge fan of all the random crap people post on there, so I try not to do it myself. But great job with the snowflake. I absolutely love it!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #477
Executive Chef

Here is one of our Hibiscus plants. This one is called Mandarin Wind. The flowers on it are huge .. about 7" across.

I miss them so much during the winter months.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #478
Sous Chef

Quote:
No Vitauta. I don't know. I am always amazed at the vastness of fauna & changing beauty of the desert. It really does have a beauty all it's own. This particular park is noted for it's ancient indian hyroglyphics, heiroglyphics, (ancient indian writing)(spelling?) There are caves and indian writings on the rocks everywhere. The sandstone is simply RED. The earth is fine red like talcum powder in places where it has been worn down by nature. A campground with a view of Lake Mead. Endless Hiking.
A beautiful place if you ever get the opportunity
Setting the record straight:
I am here to correct myself after educating myself. I was confusing 'hieroglyphics' (spelling corrected) with 'petroglyphs' (been a while since I was at the park) Hieroglyphics are a formal writing system used by ancient egyptians. What is found in the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada are 'petroglyphs' which are actually rock engravings used by the Anasazi Indian Pueblo Farmers who lived in the area.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #479
Executive Chef

Attachment 16614

My Christmas place mats
:D.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #480
Chef Extraordinaire

Frosty!