Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a nice looking dinner TAT. And here I figured it would have ended up stuffed for a trophy since it was his "first". Instead, sounds like you guys are the ones who got "stuffed". ;)

A photo I took of my herb garden last weekend and the monster cucumbers in the background. It's raining pretty hard right now, so I'll need to check for new ones tomorrow. They sure suck up the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Taxy and Kayelle :) You may remember my bay tree died after our unusually cold winter. Well, it's coming back from the roots now. We're going to keep it small this time.

I have 2 bay trees. A smallish one in a container and a huge one that is now a very tall tree! It just went skyhigh without any fertiliser or attendance! :ohmy: (Admittedly, I had been away for 2 years - being a resident, full time carer for my mother).

Tatt, love the pic of your step dad out on the ocean. Looks like it was a perfect day!

GG - what a beautiful herb garden. I love the rock border. :)

Tatt, love the pic of your step dad out on the ocean. Looks like it was a perfect day!

GG - what a beautiful herb garden. I love the rock border. :)

Thanks, Cheryl :) DH is a geologist by training and he collected many of these rocks while growing up in Michigan. We loaded up the car with them years ago when his parents retired and sold his childhood home and brought them here to Virginia.

Thanks, Cheryl :) DH is a geologist by training and he collected many of these rocks while growing up in Michigan. We loaded up the car with them years ago when his parents retired and sold his childhood home and brought them here to Virginia.

I was also going to mention that nice rock garden GG. When I was a little girl we had a neighbor/customer who was a geologist. He was a wonderful old man and he gave me a rock that was actually collected by him from our nearby 6,000 foot mountain. He explained it was actually a piece of fossilized sea shell and as a little girl, I was in awe that the mountain top (Topa Topa) had once been the floor of the Pacific ocean. I still treasure it in our rock garden with rocks we have brought home in our suitcases from all over the world..

Here are some pretty images of Topa Topa mountian..
Images of the Ojai Topa Topa Mountains

Love the little rock garden, GG! And what pretty mountain pics, Kayelle!

Here are my refrigerator pickles, using Steve Kroll's recipe:
View attachment 21545

Last edited:
GG, that is one fine looking garden! BTW, if you need more rocks I'd be happy to send some to you (at your cost, of course :-p ). I swear there are Rock Fairies up here who fly over the yard every winter, spreading rock seeds everywhere, which sprout up new rocks the following spring when I go to dig. :glare:

Dawg, those pickles look yummy already. Resist, resist!

GG, that is one fine looking garden! BTW, if you need more rocks I'd be happy to send some to you (at your cost, of course :-p ). I swear there are Rock Fairies up here who fly over the yard every winter, spreading rock seeds everywhere, which sprout up new rocks the following spring when I go to dig. :glare:

Dawg, those pickles look yummy already. Resist, resist!

CG, there is an old story about a New England farmer. A neighbor asks him what does he do for a living. The farmer replies, "I farm."

"Oh, what do you farm?"

"Rocks" replies the farmer.

How do you think we got all those stone walls? :angel:

Addie, I'll buy that story! :LOL: Funny thing is Ohio has a lot of stone walls too, and I never had such large crops of rocks in either of those two yards back there. We built all three houses in what had been wooded areas too. These must be special multiplying rocks.

Addie, I'll buy that story! :LOL: Funny thing is Ohio has a lot of stone walls too, and I never had such large crops of rocks in either of those two yards back there. We built all three houses in what had been wooded areas too. These must be special multiplying rocks.

All of those rocks are part of the Allegheny Mountains before they were worn down over time the millenniums. I love stone walls. Poo lived in a house where the stone walls surrounding the property were built during Colonial times. It was covered with growth and a lot of wild flowers. That growth kept the rocks in place. You couldn't even pick up one of the top ones. :angel:

All of those rocks are part of the Allegheny Mountains before they were worn down over time the millenniums. I love stone walls. Poo lived in a house where the stone walls surrounding the property were built during Colonial times. It was covered with growth and a lot of wild flowers. That growth kept the rocks in place. You couldn't even pick up one of the top ones. :angel:

Actually, those rocks are known as glacial drift - debris left behind by glaciers as they melted and retreated north. Sediment worn down from mountains by erosion is mostly sand and some pebbles.

More info: http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/10af.html

I always find it interesting to discover the geology in the places I live. Even though I am not a geologist, I still understand enough to see and know why certain things are the way they are. Like the horizontal lines on our mountains...they are the shorelines from when our valley was a glacial lake.

I always find it interesting to discover the geology in the places I live. Even though I am not a geologist, I still understand enough to see and know why certain things are the way they are. Like the horizontal lines on our mountains...they are the shorelines from when our valley was a glacial lake.

Me, too. DH and I grew up in Michigan and met going to college at Eastern Mich. University. He was a junior majoring in geology and I had to take a year of science classes, so guess what? I chose Earth science! ;) He also was a meteorologist and oceanographer in the Navy and taught Earth science, oceanography and meteorology as a high school teacher. He's taught me a lot about those topics over the years.

Back
Top Bottom