Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our backyard wildlife refuge welcomed a couple of old friends this morning. In addition to our usual assortment of bunnies, squirrels, and various little birds, our BIG bird friends stopped by. Used to be a time back when we first moved here that there was a flock of turkeys (as many as 23 at a time) that would wander uphill early in the day, then return downhill as dusk approached. We would put out cracked corn and sunflower seeds for them, scattering it on the huge, flat rock that sits a in the woods maybe 10-15 feet from the edge of the grass. They would follow us to the rock, then patiently wait in a semi-circle around the rock until I was done filling it up with food! :LOL: One day I was out running errands. I came up the street and saw the flock wandering in the across-the-street neighbor's yard. When I went down the driveway to get the mail they spotted me and started to run across the street, between our house and the neighbors', and headed for the rock! :ROFLMAO: Needless to say, their antics got them extra food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too! Guess that makes us antique collectors. :LOL: Mine will be in the garage sale later this year, where I hope someone else wants/needs one.

CG, DH and I have decided that all of my 'stuff' will go into an antique shop and bring in some bucks for our retirement coffers. They wanted $20USD for that phone!
I have both grandmothers teacup collections... my great grandmothers Fostoria Americana Glassware, that alone will bring in a nice sized purse of coins. I saw a punch cup and saucer and they wanted $35, I think I have 10 of those alone ;)

DH and I are visiting with Mr.&Mrs. DF here in Northern Arizona.
After lunch today, we wandered through this huge antique shop
and found this
View attachment 22968
HEH! Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute there!
I still have one one of these for cryin' out loud
:LOL:

I don't think the phone company here in Mass. provides the dial tone for rotary phones anymore. I saw a candlestick phone last year and wanted to get it. It did have a rotary dial on it. When I looked at the bottom, it had the name of Western something. The very same name that was on all Bell Systems phone. So I knew it wasn't a remake from the 50's or so. But I no longer have a land phone. Only my cell. :angel:

I don't think the phone company here in Mass. provides the dial tone for rotary phones anymore. I saw a candlestick phone last year and wanted to get it. It did have a rotary dial on it. When I looked at the bottom, it had the name of Western something. The very same name that was on all Bell Systems phone. So I knew it wasn't a remake from the 50's or so. But I no longer have a land phone. Only my cell. :angel:
It's the same dial tone Addie. It's whether or not the phone system still understands pulse dialing. I know it still does here. Stirling's phone line is a pulse line and it won't connect if we dial using tones. We aren't changing it until Bell quits charging extra for tone.

Last edited:
Western Electric. I worked for Ohio Bell for 11 years. And what taxy said.

Thanks CG. Once again you have come to my rescue from another senior moment. Of course every time I see a candlestick phone, I want it. Then I come to my senses and remember that you need two hands to use it and can't walk around with it. :angel:

It's the same dial tone Addie. It's whether or not the phone system still understands pulse dialing. I know it still does here. Stirling's phone line is a pulse line and it won't connect if we dial using tones. We aren't changing it until Bell quits charging extra for tone.

I just asked Pirate if he knew of anyone who has a rotary phone. He told me his best friend's mother still has one. She is blind and has a great bit of difficulty trying to learn the touch tone. So her kids decided to let her keep her rotary dial. Every so often she gets a notice about how much easier it would be if she had a touch tone phone. He also has some friends that own a summer cabin up in Maine. They keep a rotary dial phone up there and turn it on for the summer only. So I am surprised that we still have it here in Boston. :angel:

Kgirl and CG, you don't hear of many who love those old phones! I've got a friend who has one even older than that - it's black, and before the time of the curly wires. She looked long and hard for it.

I love antiques and the ones I have mean a lot to me - I've got a curio cabinet full of them, almost all from my grandmother and great grandmother. There are probably some worth a pretty penny, but they're not going anywhere, at least in my lifetime - they'll go to my daughters and I'm pretty sure they will keep them, too.

Sky pics this evening. Cloudy and rainy one minute, bright sunset the next. The weather sure does change fast here. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
You have the most beautiful sunsets Cheryl!

Thought you'd all like to take a look at these remarkable drone photo's, many will take your breath away! Drones are illegal in many of these places now, so these pictures will likely be one of a kind. I went back to some of the links here and it was time very well spent. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Illegal drone photos of the most beautiful places on earth - Business Insider

Thought you'd all like to take a look at these remarkable drone photo's, many will take your breath away! Drones are illegal in many of these places now, so these pictures will likely be one of a kind. I went back to some of the links here and it was time very well spent. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

WOW, that kept coming out of my mouth over and over again, WOW!!!

Thanks Kay! :flowers: I saved your link to look at a little later this evening.

I'm glad you're enjoying the eye popping photography too. We feel so lucky to have seen many of these places at ground level, it's almost unworldly to see the bird's eye view. WOW is right!
My personal opinion is drone photography should be banned now, but I'm sure glad these pictures exist. I'd love to have a wall of these pictures framed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom