Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a beautiful bird, creative. Do you know what kind it is? I went hunting for it, figuring it was something in the parrot family. No luck.

I did find a slideshow of a lot of other colorful birds. If anyone is interested, the slideshow is here.

They are just called tropical parrots. I adore their rainbow colours.
color.gif

It looks like a Scarlet Macaw. They are a Amazon South American parrot and the most popular ones wanted for a pet. As a result they are becoming fast endangered. :angel:

I trimmed the bushes and thought the pile of clippings was beautiful. All the colors...could be turned into a jig-saw puzzle.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like a Scarlet Macaw. They are a Amazon South American parrot and the most popular ones wanted for a pet. As a result they are becoming fast endangered. :angel:
Oh yes! Thanks Addie. I did a google search but it did not produce a name.

Ara Macaw - Green winged from Central America

Ara macao is the Latin scientific name for the bird. Scarlet Macaw is the common name known and used by most of the English speaking people of the world. Translated to English from Latin Ara is 'altar'. Quite understandable as who wouldn't worship such a beautiful creature. :angel:

Last edited:
Found it on Wikipedia. This particular photo is quite popular and I can see why, just gorgeous!

National Geographic did a special on the parrots and macaws of the Americas. Unfortunately, the Scarlet Macaw has been placed on the endangered list. It is the most popular bird as a pet because of it color.

When they are snuck into this country, most folks don't realize that the bird may have several diseases that was contacted in the wild. So they pay $1,000 or more and in a few months, they find the bird dead on the bottom of the cage. There is nothing they can do since owning one is illegal in the first place. :angel:

Spider web stretched across our front door, just tonight. It's a good 2 feet wide. The maker of the web is a beautiful red-legged girl who's camera-shy. Whenever I thought I got her in frame, she took off.
View attachment 23334

Last edited:
Spider web stretched across our front door, just tonight. It's a good 2 feet wide. The maker of the web is a beautiful red-legged girl who's camera-shy. Whenever I thought I got her in frame, she took off.
View attachment 23334
:ohmy: OMGosh, Dawg....what a great pic!! You should lighten that up just a bit and send it to National Geographic. Seriously.

You're too kind, Cheryl! Thanks! I really wanted to get the manufacturer in, she's about 1.5 inches, and a beauty, but I don't want her in the house. Wish I could get the whole web, this is just when I open the door a crack.

I wouldn't want her in the house either, I'm not a spider fan :LOL: but that perfectly architectural web she made is stunning. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Checked on the web this morning, it was totally trashed, with no beautiful spider in sight. Glad I was able to get a pic while I could.

We don't get picturesque spider webs often. This is from a few years ago. I sprayed it with water for effect. I'm sure spider man (or woman) wasn't happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty! Webs fascinate me.

I have a little orb weaver out the back door who unfortunately weaves her orb across the steps between a potted hibiscus and an adjacent mugo pine. I try to go under it when I go out that door, but I've destroyed a few webs.

I took Cheryl's advice and lightened it up: View attachment 23339

The green things are evergreens in the background. I took this from the inside of the door.

Last edited:
I popped my head out the front door, and my spider is back, reconstructing her web!

Hoping she'll let me take her pic. I'm leaving her alone for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom