Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't swat bugs when I shoot, but I want to.
Hopefully that bug repellant will let me shoot in peace. And even brush hog. I imagine shortly the deer flies will be getting bad. They don't care if you are moving or not to land on the back of your neck.
I use mine out on our patio/deck as well. If I am fishing, it goes with me. Thermacell also makes a nice lattern that you can sit out on your patio table. Repels bugs out 15 yards. I bought one at Home Depot last year. Great $30 investment!

View attachment 18319

Ok, it is sideways, but it is a picture of my oldest grandson on a mountain bike we bought in 1995 for his uncle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, those lilies are so lovely I swear I can smell them here! Oh, wait, those are the ones in MY garden that I can smell...:ermm: Aren't they they prettiest? Love them.

chopper, isn't it amazing how quickly they grow up? Nice to see he's wearing a helmet.

I hunt from the ground. I take precautions for biting insects but some still make it thru. I use a Thermacell unit for mosquitos and biting flies. Thermacell is the best invention for the hunter, since the metallic cartridge was invented.:)

With the way you sing the Thermacell's praises through the posts here I'm tempted to get one just for weeding the garden. MA mosquitos are stealthy and quiet compared to the big old Boeings that bite in OH. You can hear and feel those before they bite you!

PA as well, CG. You can feel the air move from their beating wings.

How long do those bloom, Andy?

When I lived in the country, north of Montreal, we called skeeters "petit quatre moteurs". It means "little four engines", 'cause they were loud.

Our landscaping folks this year really outdid themselves. Our day lilies were dying or had gotten way out of hand. So they pulled up all the dead ones, and some of the ones that had gotten out of hand. The planted some a multitude of new bulbs last fall and they are blooming this year. All different colors and names. We now have a rainbow of them surrounding the whole property. They trimmed back the bushes and planted all new arrangements in the huge planters along with in the old horse cart on the large front lawn. The cart is right in front of the very tall flag pole. I noticed the other day that the flowers in it are red, white and blue.

They also, as I found out later, had a day to dedicate the cart and flag pole to one of our residents and put a plague on them with his name. Why him? He served at Iwo Jima and was wounded. His sister and I went to school together and she was one of my best friends. What is left of his family was in attendance. I wish I had known. :angel:

I don't have a clue. We had one or two last year and I bought SO a dozen bulbs this Spring. They're very fragrant.

One of the nice things about day lilies is that they self propagate. Each year each plant puts out more and more blooms. Some of the old plants here were so big, that the landscapers cut them in half leaving only the newest growth. And what was left bloomed in full this year. They did the clean out and replanting in the fall and covered all of it with black plastic. They removed the plastic at the end of March. I have also noticed that this year the folks who come each week to mow all the lawns, also have been pulling any dead stems to flowers that have died off. A new job for them. It makes for a prettier and healthier plant. The day lilies here bloom well into late fall.

I have to laugh though. I am not saying riding around on a mower is easy work, but getting off it once all the lawns are cut and having to do real physical labor makes for some grouchy workers. It is a new assignment that has been added to their job description. They had to be reminded that the title of "Groundskeepers" included a whole host of new jobs. Like watering the plants that are not within the reach of the sprinkler system. It is not just cutting the lawn anymore. :angel:

Mine last at least a few weeks. Love 'em.

The secret to keep them blooming is to pull the dead stalks of the flowers. Once they are really dead, they pull out of the plant and ground easier than pulling a grey hair out of your head. If they give you the least resistance, leave it and try tomorrow. It is when they have sent all their nutrients back into the soil that they are ready to go. :angel:

The secret to keep them blooming is to pull the dead stalks of the flowers. Once they are really dead, they pull out of the plant and ground easier than pulling a grey hair out of your head. If they give you the least resistance, leave it and try tomorrow. It is when they have sent all their nutrients back into the soil that they are ready to go. :angel:

Addie, Stargazers are true lilies and grow from bulbs. Daylillies are Hemerocallis, and grow from roots. It's OK to cut spent blooms off true lilies, but you never pull them from the ground, they're all on one stalk, until they're totally dead for the winter. As for daylilies, you let the folliage die back and go from yellow to brown before you pull anything off. If the flower stalks develop seed pods, it's ok to cut them off. And as you said, if the flowerstalk goes dead on daylilies, you can pull it out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom