Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always find it interesting to discover the geology in the places I live. Even though I am not a geologist, I still understand enough to see and know why certain things are the way they are. Like the horizontal lines on our mountains...they are the shorelines from when our valley was a glacial lake.

Whenever I travel, I always bring rocks from other places and deposit them, just to throw off future geologists.

I always find it interesting to discover the geology in the places I live. Even though I am not a geologist, I still understand enough to see and know why certain things are the way they are. Like the horizontal lines on our mountains...they are the shorelines from when our valley was a glacial lake.

Yes, the shorelines are so clearly defined on Topa Topa mountian where my petrified sea shell was collected. I can see it from my back porch and it never fails to wow me.

Images of the Ojai Topa Topa Mountains

Yes, the shorelines are so clearly defined on Topa Topa mountian where my petrified sea shell was collected. I can see it from my back porch and it never fails to wow me.

Images of the Ojai Topa Topa Mountains

Kayelle, I beg to differ. Your mountain lines are actual layers of the sea bed, hence sedimentary rock, they were under the water. Our lines are the levels of the lake at different time periods.

In order for me to see the lake bed, like you can see the sea bed, I would have to drill down or dig. I would love to take a crawl over your mountains.

Well, it sounded right to me but what do I know? :ohmy: I'd love to have you come crawl through these mountains PF. I could wave and take pictures from down here and you could have a bed and and a good meal with us. ;)

Kay...loved the pics of the Topa Topas, thanks for sharing! I didn't know you were that close. How awesome to be able to see it from your property. I have cousins in Ojai and loved going to their ranch, haven't been there in about 10 years. Beautiful area!

Yes, those are sedimentary formations. We have tons of them here - it's so fascinating seeing the layers of different periods in time when the ocean actually flowed through the desert here. I love geology! Rocks...love them. :) My front yard is desert landscaping - rock gardens and conifers. Low maintenance. :LOL:

Last edited:
Well, it sounded right to me but what do I know? :ohmy: I'd love to have you come crawl through these mountains PF. I could wave and take pictures from down here and you could have a bed and and a good meal with us. ;)

Now that sounds fun! Thanks!:w00t2:

I'm a sucker for geology, I have no idea why.:rolleyes:

He's part of the reason with his rock garden too. :LOL:

Seriously, that's a fascinating website and I watched all the videos. I'm also passing it on.

Nuh uh, because he did it 'cause he likes rocks, not because he wanted to fool someone! ;)

Glad you enjoyed the site. I'll have to check it out. I hadn't heard about it till today.

Kay...loved the pics of the Topa Topas, thanks for sharing! I didn't know you were that close. How awesome to be able to see it from your property. I have cousins in Ojai and loved going to their ranch, haven't been there in about 10 years. Beautiful area!

Yes, those are sedimentary formations. We have tons of them here - it's so fascinating seeing the layers of different periods in time when the ocean actually flowed through the desert here. I love geology! Rocks...love them. :) My front yard is desert landscaping - rock gardens and conifers. Low maintenance. :LOL:

Yes, the "Pink Moment" on Topa Topa is visible from my back porch here in the Heritage Valley. It only happens with perfect conditions at a certain time of year when the sun sets over the Pacific and casts a perfect "Pink Moment" on the mountain. I've seen it so many times in my lifetime, but it never fails to humble me.

Old farm houses here in the New England area have a rock foundation. And some have left the huge rocks right where they were and built the foundation around them. Most of the rocks are right from the property. If they weren't building wall to keep the animals in, then they were building houses on top of them. You take the little rocks and stick them in-between the big ones to keep out the cold. Most of the rocks you find in these here parts are granite.

Up on Route 1A they cut right through a huge rock for the highway. Every time I go past there I think of cutting through the mountains to build our first coast to coast railroad. That rock has a lot of quartz in it. At night when the headlights hit it, you can see little twinkles where the quartz is. Very pretty. Then further up the road there is another huge rock they cut through. That one has a lot of iron in it. The whole side is covered with rust. Pretty in its own way. :angel:

A photo I took of my herb garden last weekend and the monster cucumbers in the background. It's raining pretty hard right now, so I'll need to check for new ones tomorrow. They sure suck up the water.

Nice setup. A little veggies, a little flowers. That gives me some ideas.

Here's Lucy....
with her Mic Jagger lips..She is owned by our neighbor, but we get to dog sit her on a regular basis. We love her like our own so we call her our grand furbaby. It's like having a grandchild you can send home at the end of the day. Yes, I kiss her on her Mic Jagger lips....:LOL::D

img_1378670_0_1dd6ec6524d044224a75029ad619b9eb.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom