Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a great day for the last of the regular season. As a bonus, I understand you got to see a no-hitter too! 104 pitches - wow! Zimmerman looks like a fine pick by the Nationals. Hope he continues to pitch ace-like for your team. Well, unless he faces off against my team. ;)

What a great day for the last of the regular season. As a bonus, I understand you got to see a no-hitter too! 104 pitches - wow! Zimmerman looks like a fine pick by the Nationals. Hope he continues to pitch ace-like for your team. Well, unless he faces off against my team. ;)

Well, the no hitter was today, a fantastic end for a great season for the Nats. yesterday was just as much a blast, I would like to think...I don't really follow the baseball, I am a rugby kinda guy, but it was really fun to be at the game.

Walking home from the local last night, I think I found the FIRST leaf of fall, despite it still being 80 degrees!

15197012108_2bd46d9c82_b.jpg

15201102307_651f5617ff_b.jpg

15200929670_5037151172_b.jpg

Ah, you're a rugby man TAT. Otherwise known as football for real men. ;)

I'm glad to hear you had a good day no matter which it was. I'm a baseball girl myself. Mom taught me most of what I know starting around age 8. We'd listen to the game on the kitchen radio while doing dishes after summer suppers. When I got older, we'd sit on the screened back porch chomping on leftovers Mom brought home from catering jobs (the owner let his "girls" take any overages after the customer got what was due for what they paid), drinking beer, and listening to the west-coast games. Every time I listen to baseball games to this day it's a little like Mom's right there with me cheering on our Tribe. :heart:

great memories, cg. good vibes for your mom. :flowers:

baseball is really a great sport for radio. it's slow enough to let our minds draw the field, then set the players out there, and still sit on the edge of your chair for a pitch.

great memories, cg. good vibes for your mom. :flowers:

baseball is really a great sport for radio. it's slow enough to let our minds draw the field, then set the players out there, and still sit on the edge of your chair for a pitch.
Thanks bucky. She's been gone 14 years, Dad almost 23, and I miss them more every day I do something that we'd do together. And I did a LOT with Dad! As an only child AND a girl, I was Dad's pseudo-son. I can solder, pull wires, and hammer a nail with the halfway-best of them. He taught me a lot about living life. Mom taught me cooking, baseball, and how to have fun. They were both the best parents I could have asked for, even though they had their flaws. But we ALL have flaws. I just overlooked theirs.

Baseball is especially fine if you have a good play-by-play guy. The Cleveland Indians' Tom Hamilton is as much of a homer as you can get, but he calls an exciting game and paints the field and the action in your mind. Since we use MLB Audio to listen, I've sampled quite a few of the announcers. I really enjoy listening to the Brewers' Bob Uecker. How can you not love Harry Doyle! :LOL:

i guess i never cared who was announcing. you know, in the radio market you kind of expect to hear "homers". but i just love(d) baseball.

two of my boy's first spoken sentences were, "and the pitch", and, "see ya!!!"

now hockey on the radio is an entirely different beast. the opposite end of the spectrum.

jono, the leaves are a'changin' here too:

img_1390460_0_96566ca00e7109a1c9fec248f9e3c237.jpg

the stage hands just brought them in to the losding dock for some show tomorrow:

img_1390460_1_6cf5d8a0b47488e7bba9390c864a03b4.jpg

espeakin' of beisbol, here's my little league team from this past spring.

we were the minors champs (9 and 10 year olds)! our record was 13-2-1.

View attachment 21965

click on the pic for a slightly larger view

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the championship bt! Just 11 players though? I figured little league had more on a team than that. Nice looking group of kids too. Your son is smack in the middle, right? Is that a girl to his left, or a boy with long hair? I'm guessing it's a sister-brother combo, with the brother being on her(?) left. Then again, I could be wrong.

BTW, which of the four older kids in the back row is you? Or aren't you telling...:cool:

thanks, cg.

yup, that's my boy in the middle, and a girl (vianna) to his left. she was one of the best players on my team.

and yeah, there were 5 teams of 11 players in the minors this year. it gets less and less with the growing popularity of other sports.

the 2nd in from the left, and the rightmost boy in the middle row are brothers. the boy in front of me was the boy that i spoke of a few years ago that i helped get his act straight and do better in school, and at home.

oh, i'm the mug in the back on the right. :cool:

Last edited:
Tatt, beautiful pics of closeup autumn leaves!

Bucky, nice pic of you and your handsome little bucky jr. :)

Near sunset, we had this funky red streak in the sky below the cloud deck, just before the clear sky. I thought it was pretty neat. You can see it pretty much smack across the center of the image. It isn't anywhere near as easy to pick out in the second photo, but I really like the way our woodsy back yard looks when there are colorful leaves on both the trees and the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tatt, beautiful pics of closeup autumn leaves!

Bucky, nice pic of you and your handsome little bucky jr. :)

i just saw this. thanks cheryl.

my coaches are great guys. the guy to my right is a tremendous athlete, but unfortunately it's a case like the martin and lewis movie "that's my boy". hopefully, someday he'll realize that his son would rather design women's clothes or room decor rather than play sports.

the next guy over is the sweetest, soft spoken, and eternally positive guy you could ever meet. he was my bench coach (keeping everyone focused on the game - not distracted as 9 and 10 year olds can be. oh look, there's a squirrel). he also warmed up my relief pitchers and was so complimentary that when i put them in, they were full of confidence, ready to paint the black and throw smoke.

the guy on the other end from me is the best baseball man that i've ever known. he would catch my little mistakes here and there that could have cost us the game. more importantly, he taught the kids to respect the coaches and to never underestimate our opponents, and to be good sportsmen at all times.

it was a pleasure to work with them this past spring.

plus going 13-2-1 and coming in 1st place didn't hurt. :D

btw, we was robbed on one of our losses. the umpire blew a few critical calls that stevie wonder would have gotten right. then he stopped the game before we got our last ups as we were the home team. he didn't understand the rules thinking that the time limit of 2 hours supercedes baseball rules.

KILL THE UMP! :angry:

he never worked any of my games after that.

Last edited:
bucky, you need Spike to umpire your games. He can cite the rule book backwards and forward. He was involved in Little League for a good many years. Even after his son stopped playing. His wife used to say she was a widow from May to the end of September. After he stopped coaching, he took up umpiring. It was his way of staying in the game. Now his son has his own semi-pro baseball team that is sponsored by the Boston Red Sox. Their first year was a disaster. To be expected. This year they came in first in their division. Practice makes perfect. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom