Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My latest cake creation - this was for my MIL's birthday on Sunday. It was my first time making hard fondant panels and a molded "box top". The jelly beans are because she always keeps a dish of candies on her counter went the kids come over. It was a challenge as it is out of my comfort zone, but I enjoyed trying something new!

That's just beautiful, LP. I'd be in tears to receive such an amazing personalized cake!

Thank you for your kind comments.

Cheryl, she was very pleased with it. She wants to keep the top to take down south with her the end of October to show a friend down there who makes cakes - a picture wasn't enough! :LOL:

Monarch caterpillar on my milkweed! So excited to see them back!
ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1442522826.086936.jpg

This is my little gardening buddy. It's a female Tree Frog. I'd bring her a container of water to swim in and she was so happy. I'd talk to her and it was like she knew what I was saying. Adorable!

Attachments

• frogpot2.JPG
    frogpot2.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 48
Love my tree frogs and my peepers! They can get a bit noisy around here. Occasionally I find one glued to the picture window. They like to stuff themselves between the outdoor faucets and the house and sing like crazy.

Last edited:
Birds often are not too fond of Monarchs. The reason is the Viceroy. It has almost the same color and markings as a Monarch. But it is very bitter so birds and other insect eaters avoid these two butterfly. :angel:

I found something I'd never heard of on my milkweed the other day, bright orange and black milkweed beetles. They like milkweed for the same reason Monarchs do, it makes them taste bad to predators. I'm reserving my milkweed for monarchs and seeds, so I squished the beetles.

Cute little tree frog, FF. :)

Dawg, that's awesome you have a Monarch caterpillar - hopefully where there is one, there will be more!

I found something I'd never heard of on my milkweed the other day, bright orange and black milkweed beetles. They like milkweed for the same reason Monarchs do, it makes them taste bad to predators. I'm reserving my milkweed for monarchs and seeds, so I squished the beetles.

Smart lady! :angel:

Here is a Florida Milkweed Bug. I've cropped the photo down -- hope it's not too small to see. Such a pest!

Are the Northern Milkweeds' flower yellow & red like these or are they whitish-pink as I seem to remember growing in Ohio?

Attachments

• 7 - Milkweed Bugs Close  July 30 2015.JPG
    7 - Milkweed Bugs Close July 30 2015.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 47
  • new little Monarch caterpillar.JPG
    new little Monarch caterpillar.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 111
Our milkweeds here are pinkish flowered. I think you can get cultivated ones in different colors, I just have wild ones. That's a pretty milkweed, TL. The leaves are a different shape than ours.

My milkweed beetles were brilliant orange and black. Strangely, this was the first time I'd ever seen them, but apparently they're very common. I had to google to figure out what they were.

Last edited:
I have only seen the white/pink milkweeds. I looked up milkweed on Wikipedia and the colour of the flowers depends on the species of milkweed. I had no idea there were so many different kinds of milkweed. Heck, I didn't know there was more than one kind. :LOL:

I have only seen the white/pink milkweeds. I looked up milkweed on Wikipedia and the colour of the flowers depends on the species of milkweed. I had no idea there were so many different kinds of milkweed. Heck, I didn't know there was more than one kind. :LOL:

And it's the swamp milkweed monarchs like best. Unfortunately, it can be invasive in my area.

I think so. Problem is, milkweed is considered an invasive weed, and has been wiped out in a lot of places, resulting in a huge decline in the monarch population.

The ones here get tall, some over 6 feet.

Last edited:
Interesting. We still have lots of butterflies but mostly the black and yellow, just beautiful. Not sure what they called. I don't recall if we Monarch's. We have a lot of Dragon Flies. Those are fun to watch. I love how they dart around and catch bugs.

Sounds like you have swallowtails. They are beautiful. Ours here like parsley.

Monarchs are bright orange and black.

We had a lot of dragonflies here this year, love them too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom