Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Silly Squirrel

My kitchen sink area has a window overlooking our back yard. Since we're semi-rural, we have lots of critters around. I like looking out the window while I prep foods (which is why it takes me so long to make a meal). There I see a young squirrel splayed flat-out on his belly, just as relaxed as can be. Then he started to rub his chin and cheeks against the grass, just like a cat does when rolling in catnip. Then he rolls the upper part of his body onto his back, then flips all tummy-down again. Suddenly he springs up and chases another squirrel! Silliest thing I've seen in a while. ~ When I was telling this to Himself earlier tonight, he said he must have seen the same silly squirrel. This time the squirrel had nabbed one of the peanuts Himself tossed out to the squirrels and birds, and Silly was tossing it up into the air and rolling around with it in its paws. Honest, people, I do NOT have a pot farm in my woods! Anyway, here's Silly Squirrel, chillin'.

Attachments

• 2016-05-12 14.59.27.jpg
    2016-05-12 14.59.27.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 106
I love that pic of Silly Squirrel, just chillin'. :LOL:

-----------------------
I went out to the mailbox this evening and ran back in for my phone to take a pic of this pretty desert sunset, before it disappeared.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 89
That's gorgeous, Cheryl! I'm a big fan of sunsets! (I don't get up early enough to appreciate sunrises.)

Thanks, Dawg and CG. :)

Even if I got up early enough to see the sunrise (sometimes I am, but not often:LOL:), I don't get as good a view of it as I do the sunsets. Too many trees in the way. :)

I'd have to ask the neighbors to move their house, it blocks the sunrise. We see the sunset through the woods, getting harder now that the trees have leafed out.

This is Miss Kim, our late blooming "dwarf" Korean lilac. She's a bit over 8 feet tall, despite being cut back several times. She smells heavenly.

ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1463872973.583287.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, CG. She blooms a lot later than regular lilacs, and most of the time is in almost total shade. I'm quite proud of her!

Dawg, at the Arboretum in Jamaica Plain they have hundreds of lilac bushes and if the weather cooperates with enough rain, then come Mother's Day they are all in bloom. They range from the purist white to the deepest purple.

One year my sister and I went there on that day. Now I could have my head in a bucket of cow patties and not smell it. But I could smell those lilacs that were in full bloom. I so envy you. The lilac is a beautiful bush and has an aroma that could stop a way when in full bloom. :angel:

Lilacs have always been a favorite of mine. Both for their beauty and their fragrance. SO planted a couple of lilac bushes (no idea what kind) many years ago and we have never seen a flower.

I planted 2 Miss Kim's. Thanks for the pic that show what they will be someday. They are beautiful!

You'll enjoy them, PF. I like that she blooms a lot later than regular lilacs, and the blooms last for a goodly time.

Bummer about your lilacs, Andy. I don't fertilize, and Miss Kim is in full shade for most of the day and seems to thrive on neglect, so I don't know why yours have never bloomed.

Lilacs have always been a favorite of mine. Both for their beauty and their fragrance. SO planted a couple of lilac bushes (no idea what kind) many years ago and we have never seen a flower.

May I make a suggestion that was passed on to me many years ago by a professional gardener? Loosen the dirt around the bush, and give it some lime to sweeten the dirt. Not a lot. You are giving the roots room to breath. And avoid using nitrogen in the fertilizer. Lilacs don't like nitrogen. But they do love the sunshine. Lots of sunshine. :angel:

That's a big dwarf. :LOL: I've bought mis-labeled plants a time or two. My whole fence line in the back yard is lined with red flowering oleanders - except for one that was labeled as red but turned out to be white. :LOL:

Today was Tyler's kindergarten graduation ceremony. :wub: OMGosh, were those kids ever cute and SO well behaved! The audience was seated and waiting patiently for them. When Pomp and Circumstance started playing and those little 5 year olds walked up the center aisle with big smiles and wearing their little caps and gowns, I lost it. Thank goodness I brought plenty of tissues! :LOL:

It was a sea of tiny little graduation caps when they were all seated and waiting to be called to the stage for their diplomas. :LOL: :wub:

Attachments

• Tyler's graduation ceremony.jpg
    Tyler's graduation ceremony.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom