Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dawg, I've checked out the baffles at our local bird store. They need posts bigger around than our feeders hang from, so I would also have to buy new posts. It's another one of those "If you give a mouse a cookie..." things. :LOL: Maybe whenif we move back home, I'll just ditch all of my bird stuff here and start from scratch once we land in a new house.

THIS is the one we had and it was completely squirrel proof.

Plus.png
Actually, the one I have is a squirrel-proof unit. Or used to be. If you look at my last photo, the one with a squirrel tail hanging out of the top of the tube, you can see metal clips at either side of the wire the feeder hangs from on the shepherd's hook. Over the years, they have managed to pry the lid up so that one of the clips distorts and lets the top slide up. In lieu of spending $80 on a new feeder, I'll just complain about my squirrels as I head out to the feeder and bend the clip back in place. The squirrels and I play this game once or twice a week, but I'm using a whole lot less rubber from my shoe that buying a new feeder would cost. :LOL: Besides, the walk to and from the feeder is good exercise. ;)

CG, we used to have shepherd's crooks for our feeders, but the coons bent them to the ground. Now we have galvanized pipe set into concrete, with a t cap. Then I wire the feeders to it. The coons used to steal the whole feeder and drag it into the woods. Not anymore.

The things we do for love...

Uh-huh, the things we do for love. ;)

The suet feeder we now have has a cage all around the square suet holding cage. We've had it for years and, fingers crossed, the squirrels haven't figured out how to beat it or drag it off. The small one we first got, just a chain with the suet-sized cage, would end up in the woods regularly. Clever squirrels, they are.

Digital Light Field Camera

I've been working on some photography stuff recently. Here is a link to my "Living Pictures" page. While it is possible to export a flat .jpg and post directly here the special effects would be lost. Think Harry Potter and the pictures in the Daily Prophet news paper...

https://pictures.lytro.com/forty_caliber

Have a look please, I'd be very interested in your feedback.

About the Lytro:
The camera is highly advanced and captures not only the light coming into the lens but also the direction of each individual ray. More details about how the camera works can be found here.

Thanks, everyone...definitely a labor of love. Several townsfolk have stopped and complimented my work. They are happy to see someone taking care of the yard. The lady who originally owned the house was a beloved teacher at the high school.

And the flyswatters (there are more) were to bring in some inexpensive color and a reminder to the yard kid to not mow over.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone...definitely a labor of love. Several townsfolk have stopped and complimented my work. They are happy to see someone taking care of the yard. The lady who originally owned the house was a beloved teacher at the high school.

And the flyswatters (there are more) were to bring in some inexpensive color and a reminder to the yard kid to not mow over.

PF, I am curious. How difficult was it to break that sod? I ask because when I was able to garden, at one home that had been neglected, turning that dirt over required a sharpened fork and tons of labor. And I live in the northeast where the dirt is much easier to turn over. :angel:

PF, I am curious. How difficult was it to break that sod? I ask because when I was able to garden, at one home that had been neglected, turning that dirt over required a sharpened fork and tons of labor. And I live in the northeast where the dirt is much easier to turn over. :angel:

The sod has 3 inches of thatch on top, so it is a huge chore to break it up and haul away. One day to remove the sod and a second to turn, feed and groom the soil. I am also afficted with a wheelbarrow that is too big for me and I end up dumping it in spots I don't want to dump. Clean that up and on to the next load. I am getting some much needed soil into the back yard. I've managed to kill all the weeds, just need to rototill it all under for next year.

The sod has 3 inches of thatch on top, so it is a huge chore to break it up and haul away. One day to remove the sod and a second to turn, feed and groom the soil. I am also afficted with a wheelbarrow that is too big for me and I end up dumping it in spots I don't want to dump. Clean that up and on to the next load. I am getting some much needed soil into the back yard. I've managed to kill all the weeds, just need to rototill it all under for next year.

Any help from Dad? Would he have a smaller wheelbarrow? I know how tempting loading it up is, but try for smaller lighter loads. See if that helps any. Being on the small side, I really have to listen to my body when I have a chore to do. Just how much can I do safely without putting a strain on my heart. And the sternum bone that never heals from open heart surgery, reminds me when I am trying too hard. To this day I still can't sweep or vacuum without pain in that area.

But the yard is looking really good. :angel:

Enjoyed the pics, Princess and GG!

Princess...so nice that people are stopping by and commenting on your yard. It looks like such a nice little quiet, small-town neighborhood. My idea of heaven on earth. :)

Enjoyed the pics, Princess and GG!

Princess...so nice that people are stopping by and commenting on your yard. It looks like such a nice little quiet, small-town neighborhood. My idea of heaven on earth. :)

Wait till your poppies come in next spring, Dawg's butterfly garden should be coming up then, too.

These attached photos are intended as encouragement for Princess F and others who are doing a reclamation project. I moved here in 2010 -- the back yard, enclosed by a board fence, was the happy playground for a pair of large German Shepherds. Consequently it had seemed a futile effort to grow anything but trees. The very sandy soil was not helpful -- the opposite of the thatch and tough roots that you are dealing with, PF. So here are the before and after of some 6 years of amending soil, watering through the dry winters, etc., etc. Having no dogs, I'm using the former dog house as a garden shed. It's stuffed to the gills with hoses, rakes, hoes, trimmers and so on.

Full speed ahead, PF!

Attachments

• Beck Yard 001.jpg
    Beck Yard 001.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 97
  • P6061144.jpg
    P6061144.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Beck St Outside 025.JPG
    Beck St Outside 025.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 93
  • Dog House-***-Garden Shed lc.jpg
    Dog House-***-Garden Shed lc.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 108
These attached photos are intended as encouragement for Princess F and others who are doing a reclamation project. I moved here in 2010 -- the back yard, enclosed by a board fence, was the happy playground for a pair of large German Shepherds. Consequently it had seemed a futile effort to grow anything but trees. The very sandy soil was not helpful -- the opposite of the thatch and tough roots that you are dealing with, PF. So here are the before and after of some 6 years of amending soil, watering through the dry winters, etc., etc. Having no dogs, I'm using the former dog house as a garden shed. It's stuffed to the gills with hoses, rakes, hoes, trimmers and so on.

Full speed ahead, PF!

An amazing transformation! :clap:

When I look at these pictures of projects that involve so much imagination and elbow grease I feel better about living in an apartment, I'm much better at starting projects than I am at finishing them! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom