Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another one from my drive last week. When I was processing this one I think I was channeling Ansel Adams, but without his artistic vision.

i-DxDKhTM-X2.jpg

Milkweed Tussock moth caterpillars:
ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1469825382.933858.jpg

After coming back from my week-long road trip, DH was thrilled to tell me that one of our milkweed plants was full of caterpillars. Alas, they weren't monarch caterpillars. These fuzzy yarn remnant look-alikes can totally decimate a milkweed plant.

Milkweed Tussock moth caterpillars:
View attachment 25072

After coming back from my week-long road trip, DH was thrilled to tell me that one of our milkweed plants was full of caterpillars. Alas, they weren't monarch caterpillars. These fuzzy yarn remnant look-alikes can totally decimate a milkweed plant.

Could it be a Viceroy? They look just like a Monarch, but are slightly different in size. :angel:

Some photos from our camping trip last week. We did a drive on the upper Poudre and over Cameron Pass to Walden, then back and up Long Draw Road to look for moose. We found them, some 25 to 30 along the 14 miles of the road. It was rainy and gloomy, so they aren't the best photos, but it was quite a drive.

The largest bull we saw:
i-JtFW9Pp-XL.jpg

A slightly smaller bull:
i-qvv7xcP-XL.jpg

This doe was posing for us as she munched her dinner:
i-ffzgNmq-XL.jpg

Not all of what we found was of the larger size:
i-XFV5gq5-XL.jpg

Some photos from our camping trip last week. We did a drive on the upper Poudre and over Cameron Pass to Walden, then back and up Long Draw Road to look for moose. We found them, some 25 to 30 along the 14 miles of the road. It was rainy and gloomy, so they aren't the best photos, but it was quite a drive.
I love the photos. Actually, overcast or rainy can actually make for better photos. You don't have any harsh shadows. ;)

Rick, how wonderful to get to see such beautiful animals so close. DH and I were driving with one of our exchange students in the Smoky Mountains in western Virginia and came upon a bear sitting on the road! I was so transfixed, I didn't get my camera out for a photo! After a moment, it got up and ambled away. Pretty cool ?

We spent the last week at my in-laws house in Michigan. When he retired, they expanded their summer vacation cottage on one of the ubiquitous lakes, added a large garage and moved there. After cooking all day, I relaxed and read in the gazebo in the back yard.

Attachments

• 1470681398300.jpg
    1470681398300.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 1470681425701.jpg
    1470681425701.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 1470681458309.jpg
    1470681458309.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 69
Every time a see a picture of a moose, I feel a connection.

I weighed 10 lbs 11 oz at birth and my hateful teenage half sister filled out all my birth announcements. She added "what a moose" on all of them. She started out being a lousy sister and nothing ever changed.

Great pictures everyone! I love that beautiful Gazebo GG! I always dreamed of having one.

This little lady turkey wandered through the yard last week. I'm really not that far out in the country -- she was a big surprise.

Attachments

• Hot turkey maybe.jpg
    Hot turkey maybe.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 70
Nice pic, Lizzie!

I had peacocks earlier this Spring. I thought I had a pic, I'll need to check Shrek's computer.

Nice pics, guys!

Meese can turn into evil creatures. I read something yesterday that talked about how after kicking, goring, and stomping you, they'll plant your ragged corpse on their antlers.

I've seen a couple swimming up at the lake years ago. Moose that is, not corpses.

Last edited:
Great photos, as usual, Rick.

Dawg, those caterpillars are a wee "eww" since they're the wrong kind. Otherwise, I'd say they are cute. ;)

GG, that is a pretty setting in spite of the fact that it's Michigan. :D (What else would you expect from a native Ohioan. Go Buckeyes!)

Good grief, Kayelle, what an awful thing to say by your evil step-sis. I think we should start calling you Cinderella.

Gobble-gobble, lizzie. We used to get a lot of those, but no more. I guess some of them retired to FL.

Back
Top Bottom