Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a beautiful piece of work, ixamnis. Too pretty to put dirty ol' shoes in. Himself, who just started up with doing woodworking projects, wondered what kind of wood you used. His guess is cherry. I can't tell woods unless it's knotty pine.

Oldest GD at Potato Festival this weekend

My GD went to the Potato Festival with her bio dad this weekend.

Attachments

• potato estival 01.jpg
    potato estival 01.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 77
  • potato festival 02.jpg
    potato festival 02.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 69
  • potato festival 03.jpg
    potato festival 03.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 74
  • potato festival 04.jpg
    potato festival 04.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 75
  • potato festival 05.jpg
    potato festival 05.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 76
  • potato festival 06.jpg
    potato festival 06.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 74
  • potato festival 07.jpg
    potato festival 07.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 68
  • potato festival 08.jpg
    potato festival 08.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 67
Very nice, ix! Something very relaxing and satisfying about taking wood and making stuff out of it.

Cute GD, cj, love her umbrella hat!

Last edited:
That is a beautiful piece of work, ixamnis. Too pretty to put dirty ol' shoes in. Himself, who just started up with doing woodworking projects, wondered what kind of wood you used. His guess is cherry. I can't tell woods unless it's knotty pine.

Solid Oak, one-by material. The top is a 1x8 and a 1x12 glued together. The middle shelf and bottom shelves and the sides and dividers are all two 1x8s glued together.

My wife was concerned about it being strong enough to hold our grandkids if they played on it. This is while I was sanding it down, getting ready for the stain. It took off my shoes and jumped up on it and started jumping up and down. Then I said, "I think we're good." I suspect it would hold well over 1000 pounds before bowing or creaking, but I'm not going to test that theory.

I didn't have any plans for the design. I just sort of "drew it up" in my head before starting the work on it.

It is about 4 feet wide, 16 inches deep and 18 inches high.

That is a great job. Looks so pretty. I love the slots for the shoes. That is a nice touch I have never seen for a shoe bench. Are you going to put a cushion on the top for sitting?

My wife wants to add a cushion for the top. I hadn't thought about it, honestly. Once sanded down after the final coats of lacquer, it will be very smooth, but obviously a little hard. The height is slightly shorter than a standard dining room chair, though, so very comfortable to sit on. However, my wife wants to put something over it to protect the wood from scratching. As far as I'm concerned, it's made to be used and if it scratches, it will just add character.

I haven't checked here in a while, and I'm loving all the pictures of the sunsets, kids and projects!

Our house faces our 2,000 ft. South Mountain, and when the sun sets over the Pacific, it turns South Mountain pink. I've tried to capture the moment without luck, so here's a picture of my pretty succulent garden on the front porch.

img_1511906_0_859cb005816ec7e12c7c35e34994ba07.jpg

Pretty little planter garden, Kayelle. I'm curious, though, what is that little black and white box that's attached to the porch spindles?

cj, I bet your grandkids had a great time at the festival!

Solid Oak, one-by material...
That was my guess! Darn, I should have put that into my post. That way I would have documented proof that I'm not as clueless about types of wood as I think I am. :LOL:

Solid Oak, one-by material. The top is a 1x8 and a 1x12 glued together. The middle shelf and bottom shelves and the sides and dividers are all two 1x8s glued together.

My wife was concerned about it being strong enough to hold our grandkids if they played on it. This is while I was sanding it down, getting ready for the stain. It took off my shoes and jumped up on it and started jumping up and down. Then I said, "I think we're good." I suspect it would hold well over 1000 pounds before bowing or creaking, but I'm not going to test that theory.

I didn't have any plans for the design. I just sort of "drew it up" in my head before starting the work on it.

It is about 4 feet wide, 16 inches deep and 18 inches high.

It is beautiful. If I didn't have a cedar chest, I would be interested n the specs to make a bench like it.

WOW, I too have not looked at this thread for a bit. Wonderful pics guys! Sunsets and all, grandkids - soo cute, ixamnis... gonna send you the dimensions for the gun safe hidey hole I need... LOL

Came on here to post a question... just as soon as I figure out what the category is... LOL. meanwhile I cruise the other threads and get lost. :rolleyes:

Loving the recent pics here! ixamnis, beautiful woodworking! You have a great talent.

cjm.....what sweet little grands...looks like they had so much fun!

Kay...LOVE your little patio succulent garden. Succulents are so beautiful and do so well without much fuss. That little bird looks real. :LOL:

There was a roadrunner on my driveway this afternoon when I went out to get the mail...I don't know who freaked each other out first :ohmy:. I wished I had my phone on me to take a pic, but at least an 'ACME' brand anvil didn't fall on my head. :LOL: (only understandable to those who watched the Wile E Coyote and Roadrunner cartoons...LOL)

Last edited:
Thanks Cheryl, did you notice the pretty shoot with the yellow bell blossoms in the foreground? It's kinda hard to see at first.
WOW....I just love Roadrunners! I saw one in the neighborhood not long ago. They're soooooo cool!! Beep Beep...

Thanks Cheryl, did you notice the pretty shoot with the yellow bell blossoms in the foreground? It's kinda hard to see at first.
WOW....I just love Roadrunners! I saw one in the neighborhood not long ago. They're soooooo cool!! Beep Beep...

Yep, sure did, Kay. That was what I saw first! :flowers:

WOW, I too have not looked at this thread for a bit. Wonderful pics guys! Sunsets and all, grandkids - soo cute, ixamnis... gonna send you the dimensions for the gun safe hidey hole I need... LOL

Came on here to post a question... just as soon as I figure out what the category is... LOL. meanwhile I cruise the other threads and get lost. :rolleyes:

I don't think there's any particular category here, but I get what you're saying....! The photo thread kind of stands on it's own and can lead to all kinds of discussion. It's one of my faves. :)

My wife wants to add a cushion for the top. I hadn't thought about it, honestly. Once sanded down after the final coats of lacquer, it will be very smooth, but obviously a little hard. The height is slightly shorter than a standard dining room chair, though, so very comfortable to sit on. However, my wife wants to put something over it to protect the wood from scratching. As far as I'm concerned, it's made to be used and if it scratches, it will just add character.

Your work is just too pretty and attractive to add scratches. A lovey velvet cushion held on with small pieces of Velcro. The grandchildren could take a nap on it.

Thank you all or the comments on the granddaughter. The baby in a couple of the pictures is not my grandchild, that is her half-brother. My DD and her s/o live about a 4 hour drive south of me. Her oldest daughters bio-dad lives about a 1.5 hour drive to the north of me. So they often use my hometown as a meeting place. I don't mind, gives me more time to spend with my cute granddaughters and I will even offer to have the bio-dad and his current s/o and baby at the house for a while if weather conditions won't allow them to do things outside.

Some photos from last week's camping trip to Iowa. My wife wanted to search out some of the barn quilts of Grundy County. Using the map from their website and the GPS in the F-150, we found 22 there, plus a few more the next couple of days in areas outside of Grundy County.

What they are is quilt patterns painted on barns - I'd never heard of them until Kendra started talking about wanting to see them. The idea began in Ohio, and has been repeated in several farming regions through the midwest.

Our first stop was in NE Nebraska at Willow Creek State Rec Area:

i-73Ftc4G-XL.jpg

Then a few of the barns:

i-RLcwNJh-XL.jpg

i-NsC9hh9-XL.jpg

i-ZcW5QQ2-XL.jpg

i-GpRjNXj-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom