"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-15-2005, 07:27 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Raspberries -- Thanks BuckyTom

After almost taking over someone else's thread, I decided to start this thread instead. After BuckyTom told me that raspberries grew on canes, I had to go search them out where I could see what they looked like when they were growing. I found an excellent (or in my opinion it is) site and pasted info in this thread. Unfortunately it was way too big and so I am just going to list the site where you can read if you want. I found out that there are varieties of raspberries that will even grow in Zone 10!!! Am going to check everything out and may try growing some next year.

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00061.asp

Old 07-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Raspberries grow wild all over around here. They're easy to spot in the fall, winter, and early spring, before all the leaves come out, as the canes are a lavender color.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:13 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for the info ice. veddy eeenterestink. i have pink and red everbearing canes, and black early summer bearing ones. i've never been able to keep up with picking, but my new neighbors seem to be eager to help. my berry boxes are on the border of our 2 properties, and i've made friends with 2 of the little old korean grannies that moved in. it feels like a scene from "lost in translation" at times. communicating is tough as they know very little english, and i need to be careful repeating some korean words a co-worker has taught me (for instance, i recently found out that a favorite korean dish, called joo mul luk, is also slang for getting to 2nd base with a girl because of the way you massage the meat. boy was i embarrassed when i mentioned it in the wrong way to them. fortunately, they own a restaurant, and understood after some 'splainin)
but ever since i offered them a few of my extra tomato, basil, and pepper plants, we are becoming fast friends, mostly using hand signals to describe our ideas. i also made the mistake of referring to white eggplants as japanese eggplants. they both said in a gruff "no! white korean eggplant", then muttered something about the japanese. lol.
anyway, the raspberries are spreading, sending root shoots into their yard, and they asked for help to cultivate them on thier side of the fence. i'm having a hard time trying to explain that they need to condition their soil as the contractor that built the house barely put down any good topsoil over the clean fill.
so, until i can learn korean for soil, compost, and n-p-k, i have offered to them to pick from my canes.
they seem to really like raspberries
Old 07-16-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Everymom

I am so jealous. We have a passable raspberry patch, but we are just now getting some ripe ones. If I want to make jam I have to wait for my MIL's canes to get going. With the weird weather this year, she is not sure she will have many. (She also got pounded in last years horrific storm so the canes that bear this year are the ones that got hammered)

Buckytom, what are the chances you could FedEx some of those babies to me? I'd send back the best raspberry jam you ever tasted.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
alix i'd like some too please ! lol
Old 07-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
Everymom

Send me a few quarts of raspberries and your address and its all yours middie.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:16 PM   #7
Head Chef

'k - I'm confused. We have lots of red raspberries around here. But they grow on bushes. Not canes. I don't understand. There are lots of wild raspberry bushes around here (used to be ours for the picking-but the touristas have discovered them) and several folks have bushes growing in their yards. My kindly neighbor offered me some starts - and I planted them but they didn't grow. Are canes and bushes the same thing?

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
Everymom

I think so callie. Sort of just a matter of semantics.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:52 PM   #9
Head Chef

thanks, Alix...

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:17 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

callie, i guess the best way to describe the difference is that a cane is one long shoot that grows out of the ground that is the entire plant, leaves and fruit and some small side shoot/branches, where a bush has heavier branches that come out from a singular thick trunk. raspberry canes look like a bush because they crowd together, but if you looked closely you's see it was a bunch of individual plants.