Raspberries -- Thanks BuckyTom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
After almost taking over someone else's thread, I decided to start this thread instead. After BuckyTom told me that raspberries grew on canes, I had to go search them out where I could see what they looked like when they were growing. I found an excellent (or in my opinion it is) site and pasted info in this thread. Unfortunately it was way too big and so I am just going to list the site where you can read if you want. I found out that there are varieties of raspberries that will even grow in Zone 10!!! Am going to check everything out and may try growing some next year.

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00061.asp

Raspberries grow wild all over around here. They're easy to spot in the fall, winter, and early spring, before all the leaves come out, as the canes are a lavender color.

thanks for the info ice. veddy eeenterestink. i have pink and red everbearing canes, and black early summer bearing ones. i've never been able to keep up with picking, but my new neighbors seem to be eager to help. my berry boxes are on the border of our 2 properties, and i've made friends with 2 of the little old korean grannies that moved in. it feels like a scene from "lost in translation" at times. communicating is tough as they know very little english, and i need to be careful repeating some korean words a co-worker has taught me (for instance, i recently found out that a favorite korean dish, called joo mul luk, is also slang for getting to 2nd base with a girl because of the way you massage the meat. boy was i embarrassed when i mentioned it in the wrong way to them. fortunately, they own a restaurant, and understood after some 'splainin)
but ever since i offered them a few of my extra tomato, basil, and pepper plants, we are becoming fast friends, mostly using hand signals to describe our ideas. i also made the mistake of referring to white eggplants as japanese eggplants. they both said in a gruff "no! white korean eggplant", then muttered something about the japanese. lol.
anyway, the raspberries are spreading, sending root shoots into their yard, and they asked for help to cultivate them on thier side of the fence. i'm having a hard time trying to explain that they need to condition their soil as the contractor that built the house barely put down any good topsoil over the clean fill.
so, until i can learn korean for soil, compost, and n-p-k, i have offered to them to pick from my canes.
they seem to really like raspberries:(

Last edited:
I am so jealous. We have a passable raspberry patch, but we are just now getting some ripe ones. If I want to make jam I have to wait for my MIL's canes to get going. With the weird weather this year, she is not sure she will have many. (She also got pounded in last years horrific storm so the canes that bear this year are the ones that got hammered)

Buckytom, what are the chances you could FedEx some of those babies to me? I'd send back the best raspberry jam you ever tasted.

'k - I'm confused. We have lots of red raspberries around here. But they grow on bushes. Not canes. I don't understand. There are lots of wild raspberry bushes around here (used to be ours for the picking-but the touristas have discovered them) and several folks have bushes growing in their yards. My kindly neighbor offered me some starts - and I planted them but they didn't grow. Are canes and bushes the same thing?

callie, i guess the best way to describe the difference is that a cane is one long shoot that grows out of the ground that is the entire plant, leaves and fruit and some small side shoot/branches, where a bush has heavier branches that come out from a singular thick trunk. raspberry canes look like a bush because they crowd together, but if you looked closely you's see it was a bunch of individual plants.

Last edited:
We were out walking the other day and saw a rather pitiful garden with one raspberry cane, it looked very sad, there were three rather nice looking ripe raspberries on it, but I left them alone, it took a great deal of restraint. I don't know why anyone would grow just the one cane??? My grandfather used to grow quite a good patch of raspberries, which us kids would demolish!!! After we had murdered the pea patch, fresh peas from the pod just piced, yum!!!
Do the canes only last two years then you have to replant? I had a feeling they were biannual?

everything you ever wanted to know about raspberries.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1421.html

kyles, raspberries contantly send out runners, or shoots to develop new plants, or primocanes. the next year, the floricane produces fruit, then it dies. it never seems to matter, because once the patch is established after 2 years, there should be an ever renewing supply of both primo and floricanes, if taken care of properly.

Buckytom, -
Compost isn't in my Korean Dictionary but ...good-- --ch'ak-ham (noun) cho-un (adj)
dirt-- chin-huk
and shake your head no.( a-ni-o) on knee o
good day-----an-nyong ha-sim-ni-kka ( on yong ha sim knee ka)
Dove

Last edited:
kam sah ham nee dah, marge!!!

i laughed the other day when they, after being sort of amazed at the amount of zuchhini and cucumbers that i've been pulling out of the garden, asked me how many hours do i work at my regular job. not what did i do for a living, but how many hours. they must think i'm a slacker only averaging 55 hours/week, preferring to waste time gardening and keeping up my yard.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom