"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 12-15-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
Master Chef
Oh God - the raw eggs when we were young thing is what turned me off tosoft-cooked eggs, raw oysters, & anything else that had/has that slimy gloopy texture.

My parents used to regularly make us "milkshakes" with a raw egg in it, & one time dad didn't blend it quite long enough. The feeling of those slimy bits of raw eggs sliding down my throat have stayed with me the rest of my life. Yuck.

So to this day, while I love eggs - & oysters - cooked. They must be cooked - & well cooked - lol!!!

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #12
Head Chef
When I was a young kid my mom became quite ill a few times. Pop would not want to eat, and was taking care of the house, two rug rats, and going to work.

But he would take an egg or two, toss them in a glass of milk, and chug it down.

We used to make raw egg egg nog but have not done so recently. Would do so again but not for company since just don't want to deal with the hassle of answering questions about the stuff, having folks shun it, and having a problem if someone gets a tummy ache and blames it on the nog.

Hate the idea of the food police looking over my shoulder, but can get a pretty good egg nog at the local supermarket and avoid any conflicts.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #13
The last time I had a raw egg was during **** Night as a fraternity pledge. I won't tell you what they told me it was and being blindfolded I coudn't see. Not that I would have wanted to. As for cholesterol, I am one of those people who can eat berries and twigs and still have absurdely high cholesterol. Do you think that will stop me from eating eggs? Not on your life. Everything in moderation. Smile every day and don't think the world is always out to get you. It just sometimes is.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've eaten my share of raw eggs and would have no problem doing so now. I just don't make a habit of it. It's the "all things in moderation" thing. For heaven's sake, we don't eat a meal like Thanksgiving dinner every day either.

Yes, auntdot, I also find the food police a bit bothersome. IMHO I think they should keep their noses out of my pantry and off my plate.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:59 PM   #15
Senior Cook
When I was in high school we drank raw eggs for endurance or that is what we thought. No one every got sick. In the Army we had them everyday for breakfast. I would worry more about the idiot talking on the cell phone when driving than I would eggs.

Run_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #16
I've never hesitated to lick the mixer bowl and beater when we bake with raw eggs. No problems so far...

Cooked eggs are a very economical source of good dietary protein. They are often on sale for 79 a dozen in our area. I can make two nice cheese, onion or mushroom omelets for about $1 total.
Veloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #17
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
I guess I am among group who had raw eggs when they were young. Great! And we are all still here.
Those of you that survived, at least!

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:48 PM   #18
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Organic eggs have no advantages over standard eggs from what Im told.
Either way, having an uncooked egg is really asking for trouble.
I like my somewhat painless life too much.
-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:07 PM   #19
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I agree eggs have food value, but at a high price.

The American Heart Association healthy heart diet for individuals with heart problems or who have had a heart attack is a maximum of 200 mg of cholesterol daily. For healthy individuals, the limit is 300 mg per day. Eggs, with over 200 mg of cholesterol per egg are not the best way to get the nutrition you need.
I would guess that this high risk population has several other dietary restrictions/suggestions as well.
Actually the American Heart Association and its dietary recommendations don't have a real high rate of staving off heart problems. They were the ones that devised the original food pyramid a number of years ago that was supposed to cut down on heart disease. It didn't. It has now been superseded by the Mediterranean pyramid and the Harvard Medical School pyramid.
I am by NO means suggesting to fly in the face of good common sense eating habits, or not heeding good medical advice. But much of it changes and changes often.
Even my DFIL who had bypass surgery was allowed "two identifiable eggs"/week--as in 2 over easy. And that recommendation changed before he died to being allowed more--if he wanted.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:57 AM   #20
Executive Chef
When I was in school, I did a project of watching the American Heart Associations publications. What I observed many years ago is that their dietary recommendations were not based on scientific research. The AHA's dietary recommendations were based on who gave them the most money.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote