"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If she had been more specific and stated 'cultivated', not 'wild' wild rice, there wouldn't have been any confusion. Sounds like an argument for using 'real maple syrup' so there's no confusion.
+1..

Old 08-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Log Cabin has been my family standard since the 1940's (actually before then but, I was born in 39).. Back then is was contained in a little tin log cabin.. Loved those tin cabins..

Once a year, my grandmother, who was born in Vermont, would receive a bottle of pure maple syrup from family in Vermont.. That bottle was a treasure to us.. I'm not certain that our little Cali fishing village had pure maple syrup at the grocers.. If so, we couldn't afford it, I guess..

To this day, Log Cabin is always on hand..

Ross
My parents pour Aunt Jemima Lite on their pancakes. What's the point of "Lite" syrup. Low calorie sugar??? Some marketing intern got a full time job offer for coming up with that.

They always have a small bottle or "real" maple syrup in the pantry for me, and my mom makes fun of me for being a PITA for wanting it.

cd

Old 08-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Log Cabin has been my family standard since the 1940's (actually before then but, I was born in 39).. Back then is was contained in a little tin log cabin.. Loved those tin cabins..

Ross
Me Too! I had looked for them a while ago but never found. I thought they were Canadian, obviously not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
A friend asked me to bring her back wild rice from MN. I brought her wild rice. It wasn't the cultivated wild rice. She didn't like it--too grassy tasting. I didn't even think about the difference between cultivated and wild wild rice. I brought her real wild rice.
Does your friend even realize it is not REAL rice but a grass? - I didn't even know there was a 'cultivated'. How is the cultivated different than the wild 'wild'? Not as in taste but what is there about the cultivating that makes it taste different? Is it actually a different grass species? Price seems to show it is still harvested by canoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
They probably should. I would guess that most people don't know there is a difference between vanilla extract and imitation vanilla extract. Same goes for maple syrup.

CD
a lot of chefs are pleading with people to use real rather than artificial. Cooks Illus. suggests that using it in baked goods really doesn't make a difference but it is noticeable when used in other recipes.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:35 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Me Too! I had looked for them a while ago but never found. I thought they were Canadian, obviously not!

Does your friend even realize it is not REAL rice but a grass? - I didn't even know there was a 'cultivated'. How is the cultivated different than the wild 'wild'? Not as in taste but what is there about the cultivating that makes it taste different? Is it actually a different grass species? Price seems to show it is still harvested by canoe.

a lot of chefs are pleading with people to use real rather than artificial. Cooks Illus. suggests that using it in baked goods really doesn't make a difference but it is noticeable when used in other recipes.
I use it to coat pecans, then bake them. Maple glazed pecans are really good.

CD
Old 08-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #25
Master Chef

I wouldn't dream of judging or correcting anyone for indicating 'Real Maple Syrup' in a recipe, or in conversation. It's just something people say, and have said, for years....I think it's generally understood what is meant by that, without having to identify the proper tree.

I always have both on hand. REAL Maple Syrup, and Log Cabin Not-Real Syrup, because that's what my grandson prefers.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I wouldn't dream of judging or correcting anyone for indicating 'Real Maple Syrup' in a recipe, or in conversation. It's just something people say, and have said, for years....I think it's generally understood what is meant by that, without having to identify the proper tree.

I always have both on hand. REAL Maple Syrup, and Log Cabin Not-Real Syrup, because that's what my grandson prefers.
My mom is the same way. Margarine and Aunt Jemima Lite on her pancakes.

Oh, yeah, no butter in mom's kitchen. When I cook for them, I have to sneak butter and olive oil into the house. PAM and margarine only.

But, she is 85 and needs a walker to get around... very slowly. They live in a 4,000 square foot house, so she can't get across the house very quickly. That's when I break out the butter and olive oil.

She loves my cooking, but I lie to her about how I make it.

CD
Old 08-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That's sweet CD. You are a good son.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #28
Master Chef

I sure hope Mom and Dad have some help cleaning that big house, CD! Do they live close enough that you get to see them often?
Old 08-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I sure hope Mom and Dad have some help cleaning that big house, CD! Do they live close enough that you get to see them often?
LOL, my dad is a workaholic, and they have a maid. My parents are one-percenters. I don't worry about them.

I live about 230 miles from them. I need at least 200 miles between me and my mom. I visit them three times a year. That gives my mom three chances every year to tell me what's wrong with me.

CD
Old 08-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
LOL, my dad is a workaholic, and they have a maid. My parents are one-percenters. I don't worry about them.

I live about 230 miles from them. I need at least 200 miles between me and my mom. I visit them three times a year. That gives my mom three chances every year to tell me what's wrong with me.

CD

Your post made me smile!

SO glad to hear they are doing so well.

Tags
maple syrup, syrup