"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 12:20 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Yeah, let's move on. How do you all feel about well-done steak?

CD

or how long someone is allowed to cook kale.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:04 AM   #42
Senior Cook

I’m fortunate to get the real stuff when we see my wife’s family in VT. It’s cool to get it from a small producer at a really good price.

You probably know that it takes a lot of energy & time to boil the sap down to a syrup. Something I learned recently is that some producers use a reverse osmosis filtration system to cut this step in half.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Guessing you haven't tapped maple trees and evap'd the sap. Totally different than Log Cabin or Mrs. Butterworth.
I realize that there is a difference, but not enough to justify paying at least 10 times more for it - real maple syrup is a luxury that I feel is overrated. Then too, we don't have many sugar maple trees in Colorado... as far as I know the number is zero.

I made maple sugar candy in elementary school when I was a kid in Minnesota, but even then the teacher got the sap from somewhere... we didn't tap the trees for it.

And Log Cabin is quite different from Mrs. Butterworth. I don't care for Mrs. Butterworth at all. Log Cabin is my pancake syrup of choice.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

You all realize that maple syrup is maple syrup and that other stuff is just fake wannabe maple syrup. I hate dragging the buckets of sap up the hill just so my Dad can have maple syrup. Wanna hear about my pulled hamstring? My dear xDH and I tapped sugar and silver maple trees. We also tapped birch trees. Yeah, it is pricey for a reason. We call it "real" for a reason too. Although, we don't call it "real". There are those of you who have Meyer lemon trees, avocado trees, etc. We ain't got those up north, but we have sugar maples.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #45
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Enough nastiness in this thread. I'm sorry CWS you have been exposed to this. Thread is closed.

Tags
maple syrup, syrup