Real Maple Syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Log Cabin has been my family standard since the 1940's (actually before then but, I was born in 39).. Back then is was contained in a little tin log cabin.. Loved those tin cabins..

Once a year, my grandmother, who was born in Vermont, would receive a bottle of pure maple syrup from family in Vermont.. That bottle was a treasure to us.. I'm not certain that our little Cali fishing village had pure maple syrup at the grocers.. If so, we couldn't afford it, I guess..

To this day, Log Cabin is always on hand..

Ross

My parents pour Aunt Jemima Lite on their pancakes. What's the point of "Lite" syrup. Low calorie sugar??? Some marketing intern got a full time job offer for coming up with that.

They always have a small bottle or "real" maple syrup in the pantry for me, and my mom makes fun of me for being a PITA for wanting it.

cd

Log Cabin has been my family standard since the 1940's (actually before then but, I was born in 39).. Back then is was contained in a little tin log cabin.. Loved those tin cabins..

Ross

Me Too! I had looked for them a while ago but never found. I thought they were Canadian, obviously not! :LOL:

A friend asked me to bring her back wild rice from MN. I brought her wild rice. It wasn't the cultivated wild rice. She didn't like it--too grassy tasting. I didn't even think about the difference between cultivated and wild wild rice. I brought her real wild rice.

Does your friend even realize it is not REAL rice but a grass? - I didn't even know there was a 'cultivated'. How is the cultivated different than the wild 'wild'? Not as in taste but what is there about the cultivating that makes it taste different? Is it actually a different grass species? Price seems to show it is still harvested by canoe.

They probably should. I would guess that most people don't know there is a difference between vanilla extract and imitation vanilla extract. Same goes for maple syrup.

CD

a lot of chefs are pleading with people to use real rather than artificial. Cooks Illus. suggests that using it in baked goods really doesn't make a difference but it is noticeable when used in other recipes.

Me Too! I had looked for them a while ago but never found. I thought they were Canadian, obviously not! :LOL:

Does your friend even realize it is not REAL rice but a grass? - I didn't even know there was a 'cultivated'. How is the cultivated different than the wild 'wild'? Not as in taste but what is there about the cultivating that makes it taste different? Is it actually a different grass species? Price seems to show it is still harvested by canoe.

a lot of chefs are pleading with people to use real rather than artificial. Cooks Illus. suggests that using it in baked goods really doesn't make a difference but it is noticeable when used in other recipes.

I use it to coat pecans, then bake them. Maple glazed pecans are really good.

CD

I wouldn't dream of judging or correcting anyone for indicating 'Real Maple Syrup' in a recipe, or in conversation. It's just something people say, and have said, for years....I think it's generally understood what is meant by that, without having to identify the proper tree.

I always have both on hand. REAL Maple Syrup, and Log Cabin Not-Real Syrup, because that's what my grandson prefers. ;):LOL:

Last edited:
I wouldn't dream of judging or correcting anyone for indicating 'Real Maple Syrup' in a recipe, or in conversation. It's just something people say, and have said, for years....I think it's generally understood what is meant by that, without having to identify the proper tree.

I always have both on hand. REAL Maple Syrup, and Log Cabin Not-Real Syrup, because that's what my grandson prefers. ;):LOL:

My mom is the same way. Margarine and Aunt Jemima Lite on her pancakes. :ermm:

Oh, yeah, no butter in mom's kitchen. When I cook for them, I have to sneak butter and olive oil into the house. PAM and margarine only.

But, she is 85 and needs a walker to get around... very slowly. They live in a 4,000 square foot house, so she can't get across the house very quickly. That's when I break out the butter and olive oil. :LOL:

She loves my cooking, but I lie to her about how I make it. :angel:

CD

I sure hope Mom and Dad have some help cleaning that big house, CD! Do they live close enough that you get to see them often?

I sure hope Mom and Dad have some help cleaning that big house, CD! Do they live close enough that you get to see them often?

LOL, my dad is a workaholic, and they have a maid. My parents are one-percenters. I don't worry about them.

I live about 230 miles from them. I need at least 200 miles between me and my mom. I visit them three times a year. That gives my mom three chances every year to tell me what's wrong with me. :LOL:

CD

LOL, my dad is a workaholic, and they have a maid. My parents are one-percenters. I don't worry about them.

I live about 230 miles from them. I need at least 200 miles between me and my mom. I visit them three times a year. That gives my mom three chances every year to tell me what's wrong with me. :LOL:

CD

:LOL: Your post made me smile! :LOL:

SO glad to hear they are doing so well.

CD
I hear ya. I moved thousands of miles away from my mother. It really helped our relationship.

I hear ya. I moved thousands of miles away from my mother. It really helped our relationship.

I do love my parents, but my mom and I get along much better a little at a time. :LOL:

My dad and I get along better, because both of us have no problem telling each other where to get off. Plus, with one exception, my toys have all been better (and faster) than his. He totaled the one that was faster. :rolleyes:

The photo below is me kicking my dad's, ummmm, behind on my faster toy.

CD

Attachments

• MeAndDad_0001small.jpg
    MeAndDad_0001small.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I have met people who said they didn't like maple syrup, but it turned out that they had never tried real maple syrup.

What I have in the house, and what I still prefer on my pancakes and waffles is Log Cabin Syrup. I just wish that it still came in the cool tin log cabin that I remember from my childhood.

If a recipe calls for the real thing, then I would use it, but since I prefer the taste of Log Cabin (and don't be fooled, not all imitation maple syrup is the same), that's what I generally have on hand. Real maple syrup is far too expensive for daily use, as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being concerned about what it's called... who cares? It's all just "syrup" or "pancake syrup" and it doesn't matter if it's called real maple or not. I can understand a recipe being specific, because there are a lot of people like me who don't even think of real maple syrup when they see it, and would just assume that any "breakfast" syrup would do the job.

The cultivated "wild" rice is black and hard. It doesn't curl like a worm when cooked and doesn't have the same flavor.

What I have in the house, and what I still prefer on my pancakes and waffles is Log Cabin Syrup. I just wish that it still came in the cool tin log cabin that I remember from my childhood.

If a recipe calls for the real thing, then I would use it, but since I prefer the taste of Log Cabin (and don't be fooled, not all imitation maple syrup is the same), that's what I generally have on hand. Real maple syrup is far too expensive for daily use, as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being concerned about what it's called... who cares? It's all just "syrup" or "pancake syrup" and it doesn't matter if it's called real maple or not. I can understand a recipe being specific, because there are a lot of people like me who don't even think of real maple syrup when they see it, and would just assume that any "breakfast" syrup would do the job.
Guessing you haven't tapped maple trees and evap'd the sap. Totally different than Log Cabin or Mrs. Butterworth.

more syrup and rices

Funny thing is that syrup made with maple is very thin in comparison with Mrs. Butterworth's or others. Some people prefer thick syrup.
My parents boiling off maple syrup in the front driveway.

I'll have to look for cultivated wild rice. I have a hard time keeping the rice from splitting open from overcooking as I usually cook it in a mixture with other rice.

One thing I did learn was when cooking "Imperial Black Rice" - don't mix it with your white! Cook them separately then mix together. I ended up with a peculiar purple rice. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• making maple syrup.jpg
    making maple syrup.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 99
Guessing you haven't tapped maple trees and evap'd the sap. Totally different than Log Cabin or Mrs. Butterworth.
I think people understand that there's a difference. People disagree with you that the difference is as important as you think it is. You're perfectly entitled to think whatever you want, but you're beating this topic to death. You've made yourself clear. Maybe you could drop it now.

GG, maybe you never heard a little saying by Anthony Bourdain:

Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.

If the thread upsets you, don't read it.

GG, maybe you never heard a little saying by Anthony Bourdain:

Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.

If the thread upsets you, don't read it.

Where did I say this is a bad place?

Arguing about food has devolved into something else in this thread. I'm not upset. I just think it's been done to death. But by all means, if you want to encourage CWS to keep disparaging people for their choice of pancake syrup, go right ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom