"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Reality Shows

Do you like them - or not?

For the most part, I don't watch much TV. There are a few shows I like.

What are your favorites, if any? Which, in your opinion is really bad tv - or good tv?

Me, don't care for survivor, fear factor, people racing around (although I've never watched it all the way thru), Lost (seemed interesting first few views), but don't have the time to follow up. Get off the Island, Gilligan and friends

One of the shows I hope to see taken off cable/tv is the Beverly Hills plastic surgeon show. What a blatant plug for this guy and his business, and who cares about his personal life.

How about those before and afters, huh? Yes, I liked watching a few demoed homes for folks that are in need - sponsored by Sears - but it got old/stale fast..then the plastic surgery makeovers. Bad taste.

Thoughts?

Old 02-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't care for reality shows at all. In general you see the worst aspects of the participants' personalities.

I watch TV to either escape reality (be entertained) or to be be educated. Reality TV serves neither purpose.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

The ONLY reality show I watch (and like) is The Apprentice. I find all the others a complete waste of time. At least with The Apprentice you can (if you stretch your imagination) learn something. That is not why I watch it though. I do find it fun to watch and see what the challenges are and how they overcome them.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I don't care for reality shows at all. In general you see the worst aspects of the participants' personalities.

I watch TV to either escape reality (be entertained) or to be be educated. Reality TV serves neither purpose.
I tend to agree, Andy. But how can we 'escape' these really bad shows that have taken over the air waves, & get them replaced with pure entertainment? I would love to see the old b/w movies aired. Where's all the good stuff?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
... I would love to see the old b/w movies aired. Where's all the good stuff?

Blockbuster
Old 02-28-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We watch Survivor ( Paul even sent in a tape to be on the show.. they never called)

And The Apprentice. We love Survivor and will keep on watching. Apprentice is getting dull though.

No other Reality tv for us.

I love LOST
and every week we watch SCI- FI Friday nights.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:49 PM   #7
Everymom

I don't think Lost really qualifies as a reality show.

Now having said that, I will say that I love reality TV. I laugh my behind off. Real people and their various idiosyncracies are far more entertaining than Barbie Dolls. I watch the Amazing Race, and Survivor and used to watch the Apprentice. I have also watched the Bachelor, but that one really irritates me so I don't watch it much now. (Although I was very impressed with the guy this season, he was a nice man.)

I would rather see a regular Joe doing something silly on TV than an egocentric overpaid actor doing something that I more often than not don't want my kids to see. My feeling is we complain vociferously about how the media portrays women (setting up unreal and unhealthy stereotypes for our young girls to emulate) and yet we keep watching THOSE shows without complaint.

OK, sorry for that little rant. My feeling is that there is a market for most entertainment out there and for the most part we should live and let live.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
LOVE SURVIVOR,AND AMAZING RACE,AND NCIS,CSI,AND COLD CASE FILES.....
Old 02-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I don't think Lost really qualifies as a reality show.
You're right,Alix. I got that confused with the Apprentice and The Bachelor. All lost.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
Master Chef

I don't care for them. At least, I haven't found one that interests me yet.

I like the CSI and Cold Case too, but, those aren't reality. Maybe I just don't want to live in reality