"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Rebuild New Orleans?
Rebuild it!!! 9 37.50%
Move the city to higher ground!!! 14 58.33%
Not sure what to do. 1 4.17%
Huh? Gabrielle from Desperate Housewives is all I care about! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Quote:
I vote to build on higher ground with no dependence on a levy system. I think it would be a crime to rebuild below sea level. What hte heck were they all thinking when they built there anyway?
There were probably drinking a hurricane....... errrrrr..... nevermind.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Of course New Orleans must be rebuilt. I am not going through the rest of my life without Jackson Square, the antique shops on Magazine Street, the little jazz record store in the French Quarter, Central Grocery muffaletas, Destrehan Plantation, the wonderful musicians, the fabulous old buildings (hope they can save them), shotgun houses, and the D-Day museum. Did I mention the food?

Old 09-26-2005, 01:34 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Of course New Orleans must be rebuilt. I am not going through the rest of my life without Jackson Square, the antique shops on Magazine Street, the little jazz record store in the French Quarter, Central Grocery muffaletas, Destrehan Plantation, the wonderful musicians, the fabulous old buildings (hope they can save them), shotgun houses, and the D-Day museum. Did I mention the food?
They can move all that to higher ground. Let me say this. It would be rediculous to rebuild.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:11 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
What hte heck were they all thinking when they built there anyway?
When the city was built it was not below sea level. that happened over time as the city sank a little bit each year.

I vote to rebuild. I see both sides of the argument, but what I keep coming back to are that no matter where a city is there are things that can happen. Should we relocate the state of CA because they might be devastated by "The Big One"? the Earthquake WILL happen some day. It is just a matter of time. New England is on a major fault line as well and could also have a devastating earthquake, maybe even moreso than CA since we are not used to then or prepared for then anywhere near the way the West coast is. The is always dangers no matter where you live. Yes the dangers are greater for New Orleans since they are below sea level so I can understand the people who say rebuild higher. I think that knowing what we know now we have th opportunity to build better and smarter. That is not to say that something like this would not happen again, but at least we would be better prepared.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:50 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I couldn't have said it much better than GB. New Orleans must be rebuilt. The historical significance alone demands that the city be preserved as best as possible, IMO.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:04 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Should we relocate the state of CA because they might be devastated by "The Big One"? the Earthquake WILL happen some day. It is just a matter of time.
Yes.....start now and we will save millions of lives. This is a developers dream. The people can relocate to Nevada.