Recipe Rating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
I was looking up some recipes on the All Recipes website and ran across a pet peeve that has bugged me several times. Looking at the user ratings and reviews for a certain dish, and most of the comments were greatly positive, 4 and 5 stars, then I come to the one with a 2 star rating. The comment that accompanied stated that the person was excited because of all of the good reviews, but was disappointed by the lack of flavor and generally uninteresting result.

Then came the kicker... the person had made several alterations to the recipe because they didn't like a couple of ingredients, didn't have a third one so they just skipped it, changed part of the procedure, and then downrated it because it wasn't as good as expected. If you make something for the first time and don't follow the recipe, you have no right to even enter an opinion that might skew the ratings and cause others to skip over it. This is just mindboggling to me.

Basically, they are saying this dish sucks because I didn't make it the way I should have. That's not fair to the recipe author or to others who might otherwise find it a delightful meal. Makes me want to :bash:

I see that all too frequently... :rolleyes:

I've even had that happen with a recipe I was asked to share..
It is a dip with few ingredients..
The person said that she "felt" there might not be enough flavor so, she added 3 ingredients and then said it just was not good.. :wacko:

I change/add to recipes but, seldom until I have tried it once and then, never adversely comment on it..

Stoopid people... :ohmy:

Ross

Try running a restaurant..people make modifications to our menu items then have the nerve to judge the results..I always feel like saying if you want to create something of your own, stay home and eat..lol..

I was looking up some recipes on the All Recipes website and ran across a pet peeve that has bugged me several times. Looking at the user ratings and reviews for a certain dish, and most of the comments were greatly positive, 4 and 5 stars, then I come to the one with a 2 star rating. The comment that accompanied stated that the person was excited because of all of the good reviews, but was disappointed by the lack of flavor and generally uninteresting result.

Then came the kicker... the person had made several alterations to the recipe because they didn't like a couple of ingredients, didn't have a third one so they just skipped it, changed part of the procedure, and then downrated it because it wasn't as good as expected. If you make something for the first time and don't follow the recipe, you have no right to even enter an opinion that might skew the ratings and cause others to skip over it. This is just mindboggling to me.

Basically, they are saying this dish sucks because I didn't make it the way I should have. That's not fair to the recipe author or to others who might otherwise find it a delightful meal. Makes me want to :bash:
+1 I agree!

I see that all too frequently... :rolleyes:

I've even had that happen with a recipe I was asked to share..
It is a dip with few ingredients..
The person said that she "felt" there might not be enough flavor so, she added 3 ingredients and then said it just was not good.. :wacko:

I change/add to recipes but, seldom until I have tried it once and then, never adversely comment on it..

Stoopid people... :ohmy:

Ross
The same thing happened to me.

I posted a recipe for a rice dish. The person made the recipe BUT omitted 1/2 the liquid because they didn't like it (the person didn't replace that liquid with any other liquid). Then said that the rice was dry and under cooked (crunchy). I said if you used the amount of liquid required it would have been fine. When making rice you can't omit liquid. DOH

I couldn't agree more Rick.

If you haven't made a recipe as written it becomes your recipe not theirs. Seems like common sense to me but we all know common sense isn't so common.

Rick, I couldn't agree with you more. That is what I used to tell my players of the cooking game I had on the Cooking Light site. When we used our cookbooks, we were suppose to make the recipe the first time as written. Otherwise, how could they give an accurate review if the recipe had been altered. We always tried to be true to the authors of the cookbooks. After that, the recipes were fair game. lol

I agree that it is utter nonsense, and rude, to alter a recipe and then gripe about it.

I use a Danish recipe site, where people often comment about the alterations they have made to a posted recipe that worked well. Sometimes a warning not to make a specific alteration.

Sooo agree. And then to have the audacity to lowball the rating of the original...

Normally, I don't look at what other folks say about a recipe,
I simply look it over, decide if it will fly in our household,
and either make it or not.
Like ya said, there's just WAY too many STOOOOOpid people
in this world and I'm learning to don't even look.

Oh, when I do pay any attention to ratings or comments,
it's for restaurants, hotels, etc. but I take them all with a grain of salt.
For example, how many reviews has this person given on
a given site, say Trip Advisor. If the numbers are low,
I disregard totally what they have to say and skip past them.

I agree, it is SO annoying, and AllRecipes site seems to be the worst as far as "......well I changed out this for that...and this for that....left out the _______ and doubled the __________. It was TERRIBLE, won't be making this again....!" :wacko: GRRR....

Here's an oldie but a goodie... :LOL:
https://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1057239/funniest-comments-ice-cube-recipe/
That is just too funny, Cheryl! It reminds me of that old joke: Why don’t they have ice cubes in (country of your choice)? Because the old lady with the recipe died!

Ross left a link to an interesting recipe in last night's dinner thread and some of us were really amused with the author. This fits right into the conversation...
Tips for success with holy yum chicken

These tips/disclaimers..again, please don’t take offence or think I’m “talking at you.”
I only put these here because…if you have the time to scroll through all the comments…you’ll see the comments from the very beginning that caused this disclaimer section to even happen.
So yes, everything that I’m answering below…it happened one or way another with readers.
Like yes, people actually came to yell at me for improvising this recipe and not following the directions.
The tips are 100% needed.

1. If you don’t like mustard, you likely will not like this dish. 1/2 the recipe’s ingredient is mustard.
  2. It will taste mustardy with a nice hint of sweetness! So again, if you don’t like mustard, don’t make this.
  3. If you don’t follow directions and want to improvise, that is definitely ok! But please do not come back to yell at me for a failed dish. The instructions are laid out completely below because I have tested it myself and it works the way it’s written below.
  4. If you do not use the right equipment it will likely not turn out either. 8×8″ pan means 8×8″ pan. 2 layers of foil means 2 layers of foil. Why? 8×8″ pan will keep the sauce together and compact and won’t cause it to spread out over a large surface area. If you put it in a larger pan, it will spread, therefore, causing the sauce to get cooked off and you’ll end up with dry chicken and little to no sauce. Double layering the foil insulates the sauces and the chicken, it’ll keep the sauce from burning on the scalding hot pan.
  5. Yes, it really is cooked at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. I’m not going to lie to you. Yes, it’s very high but it also works (proof: above pictures!) :)
  6. If you’re using chicken breasts, reduce cooking time to 25-30 minutes or you’ll end up with dry chicken.
  7. You may use bone-in chicken thighs. Cooking time is the same.
  8. Whole grain mustard is not the same as Dijon mustard.
  9. Rice wine vinegar and rice vinegar are the same thing. The names are interchangeable.
  10. If you can’t find unseasoned rice wine vinegar, you may use seasoned rice wine vinegar and vice versa.
  11. You can definitely use regular white vinegar or apple cider vinegar or champagne vinegar if that’s all you have on hand.

Last edited:
Love the 'tips for success' from the author of the Holy Yum chicken recipe. She was definitely ahead of the game. :LOL:

About the 'ice cube' reviews....I thought for sure I originally read that here on DC a few years ago, but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom