"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
Executive Chef

My system is pretty simple. I use Notepad and simple text (.TXT) files. I write my own recipes in them, I cut and paste from the Internet (including a link back to the original site).

I keep them in a folder I call My Recipes. I periodically back-up my data to an external drive or a network drive (NAS) on my home network.

I do not keep hard copies (paper) because paper is so bulky to store, where with data bits you can store billions of them in a package the size of a book. I have several or a dozen drives including 4-5-6 external HDDs and 3 NAS (network) drives. I have so many HDDs I can't even remember how many.

When I'm developing a new recipe I print out the tentative recipe and work from that in the kitchen, and annotate it as I make changes. Then after dinner or the next day I update the computer copy and throw away the paper.

One day I hope to have a dedicated PC just for the kitchen, so I can display recipes while I'm cooking. But I probably won't do that. Too many PCs can be a burden. I think 3 (or maybe 4) is about right. Per person, per house, take your choice.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
Admiral of the Texas Navy

MacGourmet works really well for me.

I've configured the recipe database to write directly to the "cloud" making it accessible from any one of my Mac's no matter where I am.

There is also an iOS version that lets me access the data from my iPhone while at the grocery store.

Clip function allows quick capture of new recipes from any text. Certain compatible recipe sites carry over formatting automatically. Stores photos of the recipe and includes a free form notes area.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've been toying with creating a google e-mail account and set it up cookbook style and just email myself the recipes formatted the way I want. Wander in every once in a while and sort them into folders.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've been toying with creating a google e-mail account and set it up cookbook style and just email myself the recipes formatted the way I want. Wander in every once in a while and sort them into folders.
If you get a Google account, you could save all your recipes as Google documents.

I have one Google spreadsheet I share with Stirling where we list wines, olive oils, and other food that we have tried and we put notes about how we liked it. I use a spreadsheet because I like the columns.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have a Google account, was thinking about one just for recipes. I've tried using Google Documents, but I just do not understand them or something. I'm even pitiful trying to use Excel.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
Master Chef

I highlight a recipe and Send it to OneNote (option on internet explorer bar) it pastes recipe with title and a track back link.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have a Google account, was thinking about one just for recipes. I've tried using Google Documents, but I just do not understand them or something. I'm even pitiful trying to use Excel.
If you can copy it, you can paste it into a "document". Just click "create"; choose "document"; and paste the recipe. Edit it if you want. It will ask you to save it and give it a name.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Google doc menu.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	15259  
Old 08-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That would save me a lot of steps, thanks.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #19
Master Chef

I'm probably one of the more 'old fashioned' types here. I copy and paste recipes to Word, print, and put the paper copy in a binder in a plastic sleeve. I always cite the source, usually the date, and make any changes in the margin of the paper.

I've been going through my late mother's and grandmother's handwritten recipes and typing them up, but keeping the originals in their little boxes for my kids and grandkids.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

beware trusting thumb drives for long term storage. they are notoriously volatile.

i use thumb drives for sneaker-netting between dept.'s almost every day at work, and i go through 8 and 16 gig thumb drives like candy once they start to fail.

you'll get a windows message "delayed write failed... unable to save data" and your file is hosed.

hth.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote