"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Recipes: clippings, cards, computer

I'd guess you're like me. Recipes everywhere. Do you have an occasional clean up session where you actually go through them and decide to throw out ones you know you'll never make, or get inspired by others?

I've been picking away at it while setting up my notebook of new recipes.

I've been printing these new ones out with 16 pt. type for easy reading, and writing down substitutions as I make them. I stick them on the refrigerator while I'm making them, or even before so I can read it while I'm waiting for my coffee to get hot.

The notes come in handy when making the recipe again. I'm thinking of making a recipe page for my standbys so I can make the notes for substitutions and how the batch came out and whether it gets a star.

I give myself a star when it's over the top good and makes you say WOW!

What do you do with all your recipes?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Head Chef

I tear magazine pages out as I read them--then I can recycle the magazine. When I notice the pile is growing, I flip thru them and toss the ones I know I won't make. Which is usually most of them!

I have a wooden box that holds index cards. When someone I know shares a recipe with me, I have them write it out on a card--it is like a scrapbook of good meals and good friends.

But, mostly, I cook from the internet these days--no storage problem with that. I email recipes to myself, and save them in a file.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

A lot of recipe sites have their own "Recipe Box". I've saved lots on the various sites, but have never revisited them.

The ones I save and use the most come from Discuss Cooking. I like it that they are already tried and that they worked for someone I respect.

Usually after I've adjusted the font and printed out my copy, I don't save the document. If I have a question about the recipe I can just come back to DC to find it.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have magazines, index cards, printed out and computer documents. I have two three-ring binders, one for the magazine recipes I haven't tried and the other for the ones that have been tried.

On the computer I have two Recipe files. One is for recipes that I have tried and liked, I'm slowly getting my index cards and magazine copies typed into it. The other is for recipes I have gathered off the Internet and have not tried, yet. I only adjust format, font, etc., when I am ready to try the recipe.

Hopefully, at some point, I will just have my computer cookbook and can get it all printed out.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I use a software package call MacGourmet. It's got lots of handy features:

Chief View (large print recipe on screen)
Cooking notes
Wine notes
shopping lists
categories
nutritional database
recipe clipping
recipe scaling

My favorite feature is the way it syncs recipes and shopping lists with iPhone. I pick the recipies I want to make and add the ingredients to a shopping list. From there I can remove what I already have on hand and know exactly what I need to pick up at the store on an interactive list from my phone.

I store a copy of the database in "the cloud" so I can access my recipes and make changes from anywhere I have the software installed and happen to have a Mac.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Many years ago, pre computer days, when I realized my recipe collecting was getting out of hand, I bought a small two-drawer file cabinet. In the top drawer I set up separate files identical to the tabs in my countertop recipe file. As I collected various recipes, I'd slip them into the appropriate file. I've kept to that system and have been quite successful at keeping my "piles" corralled into the file folders.

The bottom drawer of the file cabinet stored blank recipe cards, glue sticks and scissors so I could apply a recipe to a card as I used it and, then, file it in my countertop file.

When I want something new in any of my categories, all I do is open the drawer and search in the necessary folder.

It did take some discipline in the beginning but, in a short while, it became almost second nature and I no longer wonder in "which" pile I have to look for that recipe I just HAD to have when I saw it in a magazine, etc.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Love that this topic was brought up here! I just recently realized that if someone asked me what I collect, I would have to say recipes! Currently, I have two boxes (kids shoe boxes work great for this!) in the cabinet above my refrigerator. One box is for sweet (desserts, cakes, breads, candies...) and the other is for savory dishes. I also have a "Drafts" file on my Yahoo e-mail account (I can access this from work and/or home) where I cut and paste recipes, ideas, etc. I print off those as needed. I also have some files saved as documents in Windows and print those, too.

I have a nice, neat little recipe book that holds 3x5 cards that I received over 25-30 years ago. I hate to say it, but I am too lazy to transfer a recipe to a 3x5 card so it will fit in there.

I recently thought I might buy one or two 3 ring binders w/ plastic sleeves to insert the recipes into. Not sure if I will do this, but my collection is starting to get quite large and I want to keep it under control!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Head Chef

I opened a file called Recipes in my documents. In that I have sub folders for each category and even sub folders in there too. When I find a recipe I want to save, I copy and past in a word document and save it in the proper file in my recipe file.

ie.
Recipes
Meats
Beef
Pork
Poultry
Old 02-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have magazines, index cards, printed out and computer documents. I have two three-ring binders, one for the magazine recipes I haven't tried and the other for the ones that have been tried.

On the computer I have two Recipe files. One is for recipes that I have tried and liked, I'm slowly getting my index cards and magazine copies typed into it. The other is for recipes I have gathered off the Internet and have not tried, yet. I only adjust format, font, etc., when I am ready to try the recipe.

Hopefully, at some point, I will just have my computer cookbook and can get it all printed out.
I figured you'd have it organized.

I like leaving my hard copy out where I can see it, as a reminder I want to try it. I'll stick it on the fridge to read while using the MW.

If I stick them in the notebook, they just sit there, hidden and unmade.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I opened a file called Recipes in my documents. In that I have sub folders for each category and even sub folders in there too. When I find a recipe I want to save, I copy and past in a word document and save it in the proper file in my recipe file.

ie.
Recipes
Meats
Beef
Pork
Poultry
This is the system I use, I always make sure I have a fresh backup on CD.

Josie