Reclining your seat when flying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it rude to recline your seat in an airplane?

• Yes

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
I try not to recline on short flights as I fall asleep and dribble, snore and fxxx violently. This tends to put my co-pilot off as we land.

I have to say, the last 2 times I've flown I was pregnant, and that tiny difference in angle between reclined and not made a huge difference for me. I imagine it does for a lot of people. The way I see it, having an inch and a half less space in front of my face makes very little difference to me. Having that seat reclined may make a huge difference to the person in front of me. The seats recline. I certainly don't have the gall to tell someone they can't recline their seat in front of me. Maybe they should have also asked "Is it rude to expect someone not to use their seat the way it is intended for your personal comfort?"
That said, I do think you should check to see if your reclining could cause problems for the person behind you before you recline. I wait until after beverages are served, and try to wait until after the person behind me is finished with theirs to recline. If the person seems to want to enjoy their beverage over the entire course of the flight, I give proper warning.

I'm a tall gal, which makes me an average sized man (5'9"). And I don't fly any more. No fear of flying. No fear of terrorism. Just total hatred of discomfort and rudeness. The last time I flew (15 years ago), the person in front of me bitched because he could feel my knees in his back. The person in back of me grumbled when I put my seat back to give me a little room. And now there is less space? OK, airlines, don't put reclining seats in there at all. As a matter of fact, why don't we just put in folding card table type chairs in there and let us all sort it out ourselves. Or no chairs at all, just sit on the floor. Might be better. It is one thing when you're doing a NYC-Chicago or DC-NYC or something like that, but the last time I flew it was from Florida to Slovenia, and it was such a P/A that I don't fly at all if I can help it, especially since hearing that there is less room than ever.

In fairness to the airlines, the seats we remember from years ago are still available, they are called business and first class. In response to a demand for lower fares, airlines created coach class, based on price rather than comfort. Business class costs less in today's dollars than regular travel of 20 years ago. You get what you pay for

In fairness to the airlines, the seats we remember from years ago are still available, they are called business and first class. In response to a demand for lower fares, airlines created coach class, based on price rather than comfort. Business class costs less in today's dollars than regular travel of 20 years ago. You get what you pay for

The seats were never quite that good in coach. ;) Coach class (or as they used to call it, second class) has been around for a long time, at least since the '50s. It's business class that is the newer one, that they came up with for cheaper (than first class), but better than coach.

But I agree, pressure to lower prices on airfare has caused "coach" to become more and more basic and less comfortable.

I do agree, we're looking for a bargain and complaining that we got the cheap seats. I don't even call it coach; I call it cattle class. Unfortunately for most folks travelling for biz on an employer's nickel, that's all they are going to get. When I was young and travelling on a tight budget with a backpack, getting a deal was worth more than comfort to me. Nowadays, I'll just have to travel less by plane than I would like to.

Interesting thread, thanks everyone. We are going to be flying from Canada > London > Greece next summer, round trip. I'm really hoping my Mom gifts us with business class instead of economy for the wedding!! lol

Interesting thread, thanks everyone. We are going to be flying from Canada > London > Greece next summer, round trip. I'm really hoping my Mom gifts us with business class instead of economy for the wedding!! lol

The difference between economy and business class to Europe is enormous, typically in the thousands of dollars, Saphellae.

The difference between economy and business class to Europe is enormous, typically in the thousands of dollars, Saphellae.

Very true. I do a lot of business class international travel for my company, particularly to Asia. Typical round trip airfare from the West Coast runs between $7000-$10000. But it is comfortable. Effectively private cubicles, seats that will lie completely flat, good food, really good wine.

Of note, the big US carriers have the worst accommodations. The big Asian and mid-East carriers are good, running to fabulous. I like British Airways as well, my favorite frequent flyer program.

Last edited:
Very true. I do a lot of business class international travel for my company, particularly to Asia. Typical round trip airfare from the West Coast runs between $7000-$10000. But it is comfortable. Effectively private cubicles, seats that will lie completely flat, good food, really good wine.

Of note, the big US carriers have the worst accommodations. The big Asian and mid-East carriers are good, running to fabulous. I like British Airways as well, my favorite frequent flyer program.

I sure hear you there, max. As I said in this thread earlier, I've flown all over the world in economy on very long distance flights, a real killer on these old bodies by the way. Only because of our FFM's with British Airways we will be flying business class for the very first time next week, and I'll be like a kid in a candy store. I can't wait!! :)

Last edited:
I sure hear you there, max. As I said in this thread earlier, I've flown all over the world in economy on very long distance flights, a real killer on these old bodies by the way. Only because of our FFM's with British Airways we will be flying business class for the very first time next week, and I'll be like a kid in a candy store. I can't wait!! :)

Do you know what kind of aircraft you will be flying?

The BA 747s and 777s have 2-4-2 seating configuration (767 doesn't). The 2 seats on the window side of the aisles face opposite directions, one forward, one back with a partition between them.

But center seats are one forward, two back, one forward. The two center seats are like a separate compartment, perfect for a couple. If you can swing those seats you will really enjoy it. Attached is a pic of wife in I in these seats on our last trip to France.

Attachments

• Paris and London 002.jpg
    Paris and London 002.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

You do know about the lounges for 1st and biz class, don't you? They are one of the perqs. I remember going to the SAS 1st class lounge at LAX in the late 60s. Good food, booze, comfy lounging area. Be sure to avail yourself of the lounge.

What a fabulous picture Max!!! Steve's away for the weekend, and he made the arrangements so I'm not sure about what seats he selected. All I know is it will be a pleasure to finally sleep in comfort!
Yup, I'm looking forward to those lounges TL!!

When I flew to Israel I brought a neck brace with me. I did not have neck problems at the time, but I used it as a neck pillow. I put it on when I wanted to sleep and it kept my head from flopping over. I never travel without it now.

When I flew to Israel I brought a neck brace with me. I did not have neck problems at the time, but I used it as a neck pillow. I put it on when I wanted to sleep and it kept my head from flopping over. I never travel without it now.

They work well for a lot of people GB, not for me though. The foam is too hot for me and adds to my claustrophobia. Noise canceling headsets have the same effect. It's a wonder I fly at all, but I'm motivated by getting there the fastest way possible.

Back
Top Bottom