"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Vacuuming sucks... :)

Do those Roomba things really work?

Honestly I'd almost rather go to the dentist than vacuum.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

My girlfriend has a Dyson upright. It is so heavy she has to have her husband bring it in from the garage. It makes me wonder if the new canister might have the same problem.

Notice no one is recommending any American favorites. They seem to have gone to the wayside. I have a Hoover canister. I HATE it. It was given to me as a present. I wouldn't give you two cents for it. But I will sell it for one cent. At one time it was the premium vacuum to buy. The bag is very difficult to install. All the attachments are made of hard plastic. Including the brush for dusting. Absolutely useless.

Many years ago I had a Eureka. I loved it. But I don't think they make them any more. I am hankering for an iRoomba so bad. Everyone I know that has one, is so happy with it. My girlfriend in Georgia sets her for the morning after she leaves for work. By the time she gets home, the house has been completely vacuumed and back at it post. It does the rugs and hardwood floors completely. The last time I visited her she showed me how it works. I was so impressed. It is definitely my next big purchase.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Bolle...if you get the Roomba, I am sure you wont be disappointed for the general cleaning it does and the fact that it does to for you, although I would be concerned with the amount of pet hair you have on your floors, as I dont think Roomba would be strong enough to get it all up, all the time
They do have an iRoomba that is made to handle the problem of pet hairs. And the reviews are really good. Rated very high.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
They do have an iRoomba that is made to handle the problem of pet hairs. And the reviews are really good. Rated very high.
Addie, that is Roomba, the company name is iRobot

Roomba Website

We have the Roomba and it is brilliant, but it is not the best for getting up "lots and lots" of hair as it gets wrapped around the spools inside and it will stop if it gets too clogged with hair.

That is why I was thinking a more powerful vacuum for getting up pet hair
Old 07-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Vacuuming sucks... :)

Do those Roomba things really work?

Honestly I'd almost rather go to the dentist than vacuum.
Greg...the Roomba is really good!

We have had ours for about 1.5 years now and have never had any issues with it apart from hairs getting clogged up in the spools...and we dont have pets...

It is not a great amount of hair and as long as you give it a really good clean at least once a month, it is fine...but as I mentioned earlier, if you have lots of pet hairs maybe not the best
Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969

We have had ours for about 1.5 years now and have never had any issues with it apart from hairs getting clogged up in the spools...and we dont have pets...

It is not a great amount of hair and as long as you give it a really good clean at least once a month, it is fine...but as I mentioned earlier, if you have lots of pet hairs maybe not the best
Actually, the newer ones specialize in pet hair. I have an older model, and have never had a problem with it sucking up both mine and my animals' hair. It is not a deep cleaner, so a regular vac every so often is a good idea with carpet.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post

I have one pet -- a dog. I would be willing to take him to the groomer more often to keep his fur short.

Do you have a mix of hard (wood/linoleum/tile) floors and carpeted floors? Or turning the question around, does the Roomba work well on a variety of hard and carpeted surfaces?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Actually, the newer ones specialize in pet hair. I have an older model, and have never had a problem with it sucking up both mine and my animals' hair. It is not a deep cleaner, so a regular vac every so often is a good idea with carpet.
Now I did not know that...thanks DL

Yes ours is a slightly older model...and we make sure we do a proper vacuum at least every 3 weeks...just a once over...but a lot of people leave it for a month or so
Old 07-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I have one pet -- a dog. I would be willing to take him to the groomer more often to keep his fur short.

Do you have a mix of hard (wood/linoleum/tile) floors and carpeted floors? Or turning the question around, does the Roomba work well on a variety of hard and carpeted surfaces?
Greg, we have hardwood floors, tiles and carpets

I feel that Roomba works well on all surfaces, we have never had a problem with him
Old 07-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #20
Master Chef

This is a really timely thread for me, as I'm in the market for a new vacuum. I think I have what Fiona has, a Bissel with the pet hair thingie. I like it OK, but it's getting on up there and I'm wanting a good new one. My daughter has an older Oreck and she loves it. It's heavy duty, not made with the plastic parts so many of them nowadays have.

So I'm thinking....cannister or upright? Bag or bagless....? I'll be watching with interest, what y'all think of yours.

Gotta say...every time I hear Roomba, I think of Roomba cat.