"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #21
Executive Chef

That said, I have had a Dyson Animal for 7 years now and I am completely happy with it. My only complaint is the lack of repair shops in my area. There is only one place in the entire county authorized to repair Dysons, whcih means they can pretty much charge whatever they want to fix it. It's not broken, but after 7 years of neglect it could use a thorough cleaning and a tune-up, swap out the belts, etc.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

We have an Electrolux...for about 5 years now, they are very good

Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #23
Executive Chef

I have two golden retrievers and my vacuum is an Oreck. It is an upright but it came with a small hand held canister vacuum too. Both are very light and I have absolutely no problems with the dog hair.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

I love my Roomba. I have Saint Bernards. I send the Roomba out almost every day. I also have a Dyson--I use that for the stairs, etc. I liked my Roomba so much, I bought one for my 80-yr. old mom. I hate to vacuum. If vacuums qualified for neglect/abuse, my vacuum would have been at the front of the line. I'd rather be in the shower or on the computer or taking a nap while Hilda Hustompte does her thing (that's my Roomba's name). Downside--you can't spot clean with it. And, it doesn't do stairs. Upside--it takes up very little space and you can do other things while it vacuums. It also has a very good warranty.I love my Roomba.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Vacuuming sucks... :)

Do those Roomba things really work?

Honestly I'd almost rather go to the dentist than vacuum.
Mine works--I've had it for 3 years. I love it. It doesn't do stairs, so those I still 'need to have another vacuum to do those. And, it doesn't spot vacuum. I've had so many vacuums during the course of doing Saint Bernard and Newfoundland dog rescue, you don't want to know. I absolutely love my Roomba. It works. It works very well in my house which is mostly hardwood/ceramic tile, but I still have one room (the living room) that is carpet--and it works there as well. And, I also have dental phobia. I bought the Roomba after one of the people who adopted 2 Saints from our group recommended it. She sent it out 2x / day when the dogs were blowing coat and it worked. She didn't have the "special" pet one, just the regular $300-400 model. That's what I have.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

CWS, you must have a different model Roomba to us as ours does do spot cleaning.

It has a spot cleaning button which you click and Roomba spot cleans by going around in circles in one general area...really nifty feature
Old 07-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Bolle...if you get the Roomba, I am sure you wont be disappointed for the general cleaning it does and the fact that it does to for you, although I would be concerned with the amount of pet hair you have on your floors, as I dont think Roomba would be strong enough to get it all up, all the time
We need to hear from CWS. She has a Roomba and Saint Bernards!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
CWS, you must have a different model Roomba to us as ours does do spot cleaning.

It has a spot cleaning button which you click and Roomba spot cleans by going around in circles in one general area...really nifty feature
What I meant was that I can't send it out to clean up a "spot." Mine is a 400 series? I think. I'd have to pull out the manual...
Old 07-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We need to hear from CWS. She has a Roomba and Saint Bernards!
Mine works--it is a 400 series--not the pet version. I LOVE it. I got it on the recommendation from a friend who has adopted 3 Saint Bernards from our group and has 3 kids under the age of 8. She runs it every day--during shedding season, she runs it 2x / day. She got hers at Costco. Costco has honored the warranty--she's gotten 4 replacement ones (7 years), all on warranty, no cost to her ( she did send in the warranty card for the first one--it is good for 2 years, I think--she's gotten all of the replacement ones from that card). I absolutely love it--easy to use, clean and it works great on the hardwood, tile, and carpet. I've had Electrolux, Miele, Dyson. shop vacs, Kirby--I've had commercial (industrial) and home versions, yeah, they worked, but they were such a physical pain to haul out of the closet and push/pull around. And, belts would break, the beaters would jam with dog hair, etc. What I like about the Roomba is that I don't have to lug a vaccum out of the closet. And, that I can do other things while it does its thing--and it does do its thing. And, knock on wood, no broken belts, no jammed motor, yet.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

There is another good one, it is made by LG...I was telling Fiona about it in another thread...it is another robot vaccum and it is meant to be better than Roomba

When our Roomba dies, we will get the LG one