Recommend me a vacuum cleaner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SO has a bagless canister and is pleased with it. Emptying the canister isn't messy but you should empty it into a plastic grocery bag or similar and trash it outside. Just emptying it into the wastebasket in the kitchen (for example) gives you a cloud of dust every time you throw more trash away.

There are tons of canister vacuums out there. The one thing I cannot stand are the kind you can see what you pick up. I sometimes wish I had my old Hoover, where all you had to do change the bag..... never had a problem with it. We have a Dirt Devil Canister vacuum, and it's grosses me out to see everything that gets sucked up in there.

Btw, are bagless vacuums a nightmare to empty? Do you need to shower after? Wear a gas mask? Forcefully have your husband do it?

I'll second both of those. It grosses me out too.

Bolledeig said:
Btw, are bagless vacuums a nightmare to empty? Do you need to shower after? Wear a gas mask? Forcefully have your husband do it?

I agree 100%!!! I tried one of those. I will never do it again.

Bolle...if you get the Roomba, I am sure you wont be disappointed for the general cleaning it does and the fact that it does to for you, although I would be concerned with the amount of pet hair you have on your floors, as I dont think Roomba would be strong enough to get it all up, all the time
Roomba also makes a pet-specific version, the 564 I think.

We've been looking at one of those, too. With two dogs, it's hard to keep up with the pet hair at times.

There are tons of canister vacuums out there. The one thing I cannot stand are the kind you can see what you pick up. I sometimes wish I had my old Hoover, where all you had to do change the bag..... never had a problem with it. We have a Dirt Devil Canister vacuum, and it's grosses me out to see everything that gets sucked up in there.
The really OLD vacs had a reusable cloth bag or cup.

Roomba also makes a pet-specific version, the 564 I think.

We've been looking at one of those, too. With two dogs, it's hard to keep up with the pet hair at times.
The pet version wasn't/isn't available in Canada (it might be now). I have one of the 400 series and I use it with 1-4 dogs in the house. It works fine. My friend who had 2 (and now has 1) Saints, has a 400-something series as well. My mom has one of the 400-series as well and a dog in the house. I don't know that you need the pet version.

They should cross one of those electronic pets with a Roomba pet, to get a combination pet and vacuum that cleans up after the other pets. Maybe the Roomba and the pets might become friends. :)

I had a really old (turquoise) Hoover - 30 yrs old, that I bought used. :ohmy: It held paper bags. It was a great strong vac, but using/changing bags full of dirt, having to replace broken belts & the heavy weight finally made me dump it.

The bagless lightweight with a cup, is no problem. You just release a latch, remove the spongelike filter (that can be rinsed), & hold it over your trash receptacle. Easy, peasy. No muss or fuss.

I was worried that my dogs would freak out re: the Roomba--chase it, etc. At first one of them was curious (at the time, I had 3 dogs), but they got over that. Now the dog gets up and moves when the Roomba is doing its thing--same with my parents' dog. I don't know about cats and the Roomba. The newer ones are quieter than the one I bought.

Steve--since you work from your home office, running the Roomba every day while you are working would cut down on chore time during after-work hours. I used to run mine while I was on conference calls <g>.

Last edited:
Vacuuming sucks... :)

Do those Roomba things really work?

Honestly I'd almost rather go to the dentist than vacuum.

Best quote on this thread-- :ROFLMAO:

I use a dust mop on my hardwood floors and have a used and very powerful Kirby upright for area rugs. I got the Kirby at an estate sale with a ton of attachments. It scares the cats and I think causes them to shed twice as much.

Best quote on this thread-- :ROFLMAO:

I use a dust mop on my hardwood floors and have a used and very powerful Kirby upright for area rugs. I got the Kirby at an estate sale with a ton of attachments. It scares the cats and I think causes them to shed twice as much.
I hate vacuuming. If a person could be accused of neglecting a vaciuum, I would have been charged with vacuum abuse years ago. My poor upright vacuum was kept in a closet and ignored for days on end. Can't say the same for my Roomba (she even has a name--Hilda Hustomte) and, the "other one" gets dragged out of the closet about 1x per week now. I use a swifter mop, a shark mop and steam or a shark steamer on the floors after Hilda does her thing, I can wear white socks and they don't turn grey/black. Better still, I can go barefoot in the house and my feet aren't filthy when I go to bed.

Back
Top Bottom