"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have a Kenmore canister (made by Panasonic). It is 16 years old, and the only thing that I've had to repair on it was a wheel on the main unit, after dropping it down the stairs...

The really cool thing about this Kenmore, is that Sears carries just about every individual part for this even though it is 16 years old. I am not a fan of Sears in recent years, but this vacuum has been a workhorse.

My grandmother's 60's era Electrolux was an unstoppable tank, I have no idea where it is now, but she used it for over 30 years, I bet that they aren't built like that anymore!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Longevity, suction power, cleanliness of exhaust, and quietness of operation were the principal factors affecting our vacuum cleaner selection.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

The other option to consider is central vac. Not common in the States, but very common in Canada. The problem is you need someplace to store the gadzilla hose. A friend got the "kick vents" installed under her kitchen cupboards--all she had to do was sweep the dirt close to those and voila! the stuff was sucked up. You have to empty the canister--friends have had it installed either in the basement or the garage. That would have been my other option--but I find the Roomba and the Dyson work for me. The Dyson is for the stairs. And, I have LOTS of dog hair and sand. I use a shop vac in the basement if I need to vacuum down there--it isn't finished, so vacuuming is more or less related to "shop" activities. Regardless of the type of vacuum I had--canister, bagless, upright--and I've had them all--two Electroluxes (sp)--which were very good vacuums--I never vacuumed as often as I vacuum since I got the Roomba. Which reminds me...I could send it out now.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Thanks for sharing your experience, people! I appreciate it!
Seems like people really like the Roomba. But you would have to have another vacuum cleaner aswell I'd think? To do stairs and things like pull out the hose and vacuum in the couch, in the car, in cracks etc?

Central vacuum is definantly high up on my list with heated floors and hard wood walls
But that won't be quite yet..
Old 07-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolledeig View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience, people! I appreciate it!
Seems like people really like the Roomba. But you would have to have another vacuum cleaner aswell I'd think? To do stairs and things like pull out the hose and vacuum in the couch, in the car, in cracks etc?

Central vacuum is definantly high up on my list with heated floors and hard wood walls
But that won't be quite yet..
A friend got hers as a "reconditioned" central vac. I think she bought it and all the extra venting, etc., for $800. She sold it with the house 9 years later. I don't recall she had any problems. You could go with a Roomba and a shop vac (they are very inexpensive) for the stairs, doing the couch, etc. I have a shop vac at the farm--it works great except that the hose is really big and I have small hands. In hindsight, I would test the size of the hose against my hands re: comfort. Shop vacs are very inexpensive and the filters last a long time.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #36
Head Chef

Dyson for me. Lots of good little attachments to get in your cracks.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #37
Head Chef

I have a Roombs/irobot and a bagless lightweight vacuum cleaner from Euro Pro. I run the Roomba often, but don't think it gets into the pile of the carpet. Thought about an Oreck, but not sure I want to deal with bags again. If you have hardwood, laminate or tile, the two I mentioned should do the job for picking up dust.

P.S. I follow-up w/ an H2O (steamer mop) for the tiled floors.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #38
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Take a look at Riccar vacuums. They are made in the US and the most heavily used commercial brand. They also have an excellent warranty. Pricing is similar to dyson, but the machines are better quality. They have metal parts :)

I have a four year old upright and last year someone (not mentioning names) in my household sucked up a bunch of drywall screws doing major damage to the motor, punching holes in the airways and generally chewing up the guts of the vacuum. They rebuilt it, replacing the motor entirely and several other parts. NO CHARGE.

I can't say enough good. Don't be scared off by list prices on their corp website. They are heavily discounted by dealers.

Riccar : Vacuum Cleaners - Upright, Canister, 8-Pound, Central Vacuums
Old 07-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #39
Master Chef

There are tons of canister vacuums out there. The one thing I cannot stand are the kind you can see what you pick up. I sometimes wish I had my old Hoover, where all you had to do change the bag..... never had a problem with it. We have a Dirt Devil Canister vacuum, and it's grosses me out to see everything that gets sucked up in there.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Btw, are bagless vacuums a nightmare to empty? Do you need to shower after? Wear a gas mask? Forcefully have your husband do it?