Recommend me a vacuum cleaner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolledeig

Senior Cook
I need to get a new vacuum cleaner - a canister!
Thinking about a Dyson, but I feel like I constantly read conflicting reviews.

I figured you ladies (and gentlemen perhaps too) would know a thing or two about vacuum cleaners. ;)
Please spill all your inside info on vacuums! :mrgreen:

Btw, I have all hard floors (tile, hard wood and laminate), and I do have lots of hairy pets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Bissell vacuums, they seem to stand up to pet hair very well, easy to empty and much cheaper than a Dyson. Mine is light and it has an upholstery tool with a beater brush I can use on the sofa and chair.

Thanks, PF!
Noted in the back of my head ;)

I actually have a Bissell right now (upright), and the front wheels have fallen off, the high-low knob has also fallen off, and it looks like someone chewed on the cord.
I'm a little scared of cheaper vacuums now.
But perhaps $500 for a Dyson is too much?

Ok, an additional question then; do you really get your moneys worth with a Dyson?

BD, have you ever thought of a Roomba?

They are pretty good!

But Dysons are very powerful which would be good for all the pet hair

Never heard of Roomba. Will google it right away! :)

I bet there are a lot of options I don't know about simply because I'm a foreigner.

BD, Roomba is a robot vacuum...it does the work for you ;)

We have one and think it is great, it does pick up a lot of dirt and hair :)

Thanks, PF!
Noted in the back of my head ;)

I actually have a Bissell right now (upright), and the front wheels have fallen off, the high-low knob has also fallen off, and it looks like someone chewed on the cord.
I'm a little scared of cheaper vacuums now.
But perhaps $500 for a Dyson is too much?

Ok, an additional question then; do you really get your moneys worth with a Dyson?
Our last Miele canister vac lasted for 10 years. Based on the performance of our new Miele, I anticipate it will last at least that long. Annual operating cost ( filters, bags, and amortization of cost) runs about $140.

Our last Miele canister vac lasted for 10 years. Based on the performance of our new Miele, I anticipate it will last at least that long. Annual operating cost ( filters, bags, and amortization of cost) runs about $140.

Thanks!
I used to have Miele everything in Europe, but stuff is soooo expensive here (compared to a normal salary at least).
Last Miele vacuum I looked at was $900, and my husband simply don't make me enough money to justify that :angel:

BD, Roomba is a robot vacuum...it does the work for you ;)

We have one and think it is great, it does pick up a lot of dirt and hair :)

That's definantly an option I never even thought of.
I do see it has great reviews. Maybe something to consider. Especially since I vacuum daily. :)

Bolle...if you get the Roomba, I am sure you wont be disappointed for the general cleaning it does and the fact that it does to for you, although I would be concerned with the amount of pet hair you have on your floors, as I dont think Roomba would be strong enough to get it all up, all the time

Last edited:
My girlfriend has a Dyson upright. It is so heavy she has to have her husband bring it in from the garage. It makes me wonder if the new canister might have the same problem.

Notice no one is recommending any American favorites. They seem to have gone to the wayside. I have a Hoover canister. I HATE it. It was given to me as a present. I wouldn't give you two cents for it. But I will sell it for one cent. At one time it was the premium vacuum to buy. The bag is very difficult to install. All the attachments are made of hard plastic. Including the brush for dusting. Absolutely useless.

Many years ago I had a Eureka. I loved it. But I don't think they make them any more. I am hankering for an iRoomba so bad. Everyone I know that has one, is so happy with it. My girlfriend in Georgia sets her for the morning after she leaves for work. By the time she gets home, the house has been completely vacuumed and back at it post. It does the rugs and hardwood floors completely. The last time I visited her she showed me how it works. I was so impressed. It is definitely my next big purchase.:ermm:

Bolle...if you get the Roomba, I am sure you wont be disappointed for the general cleaning it does and the fact that it does to for you, although I would be concerned with the amount of pet hair you have on your floors, as I dont think Roomba would be strong enough to get it all up, all the time

They do have an iRoomba that is made to handle the problem of pet hairs. And the reviews are really good. Rated very high. :)

They do have an iRoomba that is made to handle the problem of pet hairs. And the reviews are really good. Rated very high. :)

Addie, that is Roomba, the company name is iRobot :)

Roomba Website

We have the Roomba and it is brilliant, but it is not the best for getting up "lots and lots" of hair as it gets wrapped around the spools inside and it will stop if it gets too clogged with hair.

That is why I was thinking a more powerful vacuum for getting up pet hair :)

Vacuuming sucks... :)

Do those Roomba things really work?

Honestly I'd almost rather go to the dentist than vacuum.

Greg...the Roomba is really good!

We have had ours for about 1.5 years now and have never had any issues with it apart from hairs getting clogged up in the spools...and we dont have pets...

It is not a great amount of hair and as long as you give it a really good clean at least once a month, it is fine...but as I mentioned earlier, if you have lots of pet hairs maybe not the best

Kylie1969 said:

We have had ours for about 1.5 years now and have never had any issues with it apart from hairs getting clogged up in the spools...and we dont have pets...

It is not a great amount of hair and as long as you give it a really good clean at least once a month, it is fine...but as I mentioned earlier, if you have lots of pet hairs maybe not the best

Actually, the newer ones specialize in pet hair. I have an older model, and have never had a problem with it sucking up both mine and my animals' hair. It is not a deep cleaner, so a regular vac every so often is a good idea with carpet.

I have one pet -- a dog. I would be willing to take him to the groomer more often to keep his fur short.

Do you have a mix of hard (wood/linoleum/tile) floors and carpeted floors? Or turning the question around, does the Roomba work well on a variety of hard and carpeted surfaces?

Actually, the newer ones specialize in pet hair. I have an older model, and have never had a problem with it sucking up both mine and my animals' hair. It is not a deep cleaner, so a regular vac every so often is a good idea with carpet.

Now I did not know that...thanks DL :)

Yes ours is a slightly older model...and we make sure we do a proper vacuum at least every 3 weeks...just a once over...but a lot of people leave it for a month or so

I have one pet -- a dog. I would be willing to take him to the groomer more often to keep his fur short.

Do you have a mix of hard (wood/linoleum/tile) floors and carpeted floors? Or turning the question around, does the Roomba work well on a variety of hard and carpeted surfaces?

Greg, we have hardwood floors, tiles and carpets :)

I feel that Roomba works well on all surfaces, we have never had a problem with him
thumb.gif

This is a really timely thread for me, as I'm in the market for a new vacuum. I think I have what Fiona has, a Bissel with the pet hair thingie. I like it OK, but it's getting on up there and I'm wanting a good new one. My daughter has an older Oreck and she loves it. It's heavy duty, not made with the plastic parts so many of them nowadays have.

So I'm thinking....cannister or upright? Bag or bagless....? I'll be watching with interest, what y'all think of yours.

Gotta say...every time I hear Roomba, I think of Roomba cat. :ROFLMAO::LOL:
Roomba Driver - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom