Redecorating mess

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
We're finally getting some much needed redecorating done. We were lucky enough to find a good contracter, and he showed up today to get started.
All the furniture has been moved out of my bedroom, except for the bed, which cannot be moved because it was custom made, and the posters are bolted to the ceiling. The contracter has been sanding, spackling and removing old wallpaper, and combined with all the dust and wooly boogers that showed up when they moved the furniture (I was so embarrassed!) my allergies are going wild! I took my Zyrtec D, which has helped.
Can't wait till they start ripping up carpeting. :ermm: I may have to leave.

Once he's done with our bedroom, he'll be moving upstairs, which hasn't seen paint or a new carpet for 20 years. Between the grandson wrecking one bedroom, our cat raising her litter in the other, and the puppy stains on the balcony, it's WAY overdue.

I keep telling myself how nice it's going to look, and how clean everything will be, but it's going to be a pain in the neck for a while.
And thing being, once you do one thing, it calls for another. I've already decided that we also need to do the dining area.

We are about to do the Kitchen, and as a cook you can tell this is killing me but I have to do it.... can you say here comes the SS counter tops that I have wanted forever.

I feel your pain. Remodeling can be very taxing on the budget, family relations and allergies. I went through a kitchen remodel in my old house and it was not a pleasent experience. A lot of things went wrong before everything fell into place and at that point I had been without a kitchen for 2 months. With young kids (2-4 years) it was not pleasent. I was grumpy and I spilled my anger and frustrations on my husband :)

In the end the result made up for all the frustrations I went through. In the end you will have a much nicer room and you will be glad you stuck through the thick and thin of it.

Connie, yikes 20 years? You will definitely feel a sense of accomplishment when everything is done. I've stripped & put up wallpaper & painted over the years. You are wise to hire a pro. The last time I started painting, I ran out of steam when I reached the ceilings. The carpet I'm still undecided about. Since I want to sell, I called Empire to install new carpet. (Everyone wants hardwood, but I don't want to put any $ into this place). Empire said they don't move the furniture. :wacko:

Re a mess - In my last home, I had the cottage cheese ceiling removed in the bedroom - to the tune of $500. Even though the threshholds were blocked with plastic, there was white dust in every room. They did an excellent job, & I was thrilled to see that celing go. It was well worth the mess & cleanup.

I'm with you, Constance!!

On Monday, my ceilings were scraped and re-textured, (not one speck of white dust anywhere! Thank goodness!) but it won't be primed and painted till next week....Yesterday, the baseboards and all of my downstairs tile and all but 3 rooms of carpet were taken out. So it looks like a vacant condemned building! (My cat likes hearing herself echo, though!)
Fortunately, the tile will start going in today and hopefully they'll all be done by Saturday. After the ceiling, we'll start up the baseboards. Can't wait to get it done!

Just think of how pretty everything will be once it is all finished. Take photos of before and after and you will really see a difference.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom