"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Certified Cake Maniac

Reflections

With everything that is going on here with people hurting in various ways, and whatis going on in MY life, I felt I needed a place to share my thoughts that didn't fit into the venting, schedule or smile threads and I was wondering if there are others like me.

I laid awake last night, as usual, waiting for pain meds to kick in and found myself in deep prayer and thought.

I am thankful that DD's fiance is finally out of the hospital but he is not out of the woods yet and he has really begun to depend on me as a mother figure (his is across the country and has never really been a part of his life). This is hard when I have been playing the role for DD, though she is happy that he has my DD and me to look up to as parental figures.

Then, my mind keeps travelling to Katie and Buck. I haven't been around that long, but long enough for her daily smiles about fireflies, kittens and Buck to become a highlight of my evening read. I have been on community sites like this (not cooking ones, - more for specific health concerns) and while everyone is friendly, they are there more for their own needs. It is incredible to see what a tight compassionate family we have here.

I was with my 83 year old Dad last night and could see signs of him slipping again - he couldn't hear very well even with his hearing aids cranked up and he seemed to fade in and out of the conversation. He picked up after dinner....I worry that he isn't eating properly on his own with his diabetes.

And there are others on my mind as well who had issues that need prayer and I fid that for once I am totally not thinking of my current and seemingly never-ending pain flare.

I was also realizing how many of you are becoming such close friends and that my life is good.

There is a bridge in a Christian song I love called "Blessed Be Your Name" that goes "You give and take away, You give and take away, my heart will chose to say, Blessed be Your name". Many of us here have been experiencing the giving and the taking (whether you believe or not) and it is so nice that we have each other to build on that.

I hope my ramblings here are okay and coherent.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Very coherent, and with much substance, Laurie.
I've got that song going in my head now too -
"Every blessing you pour out, I'll turn back to praise; When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will stay"

Old 06-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, JKath. I hope others may become inspired to share here as well. It doesn't have to be Christ oriented - just how life is like for you at the moment.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Executive Chef

This is a wonderful thread, Laurie. Thanks for starting it.

I was with my mom yesterday and even though she is only 73, her health is compromised by COPD to the point that she is afraid to go many places for fear of getting sick. She went to a wedding this weekend in Galveston with a friend and they came back a day early because she was so exhausted. It really made me think hard about making the most of my time with her and appreciating the fact that I have a strong and healthy body that can do anything I ask of it.

I feel the same way when I read posts by my friends here. So many lovely people struggling with poor health, rough family situations, hard financial times. And you all seem to be doing it with such grace. It's humbling and has made me reflect on my many blessings. Also, not to take things for granted. Poor Katie and Buck don't deserve what is happening to them and yet it is happening. It's hard not to become angry and beat your fists asking why. I'm trying to channel my energies in prayer and because it's the only thing I can really do to help.

But as you said Laurie, there is still the joy of my children's laughter and the pleasure of my mother's tiny kittens and the warmth of knowing I have friends - life is good in spite of the bad.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Master Chef

Seems a lot of folks are going thru bad times these days, but luckily we don't have to go it alone, besides the Lord we also now have each other.
I know that helps me a lot.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Master Chef

Everyday I have been watching how my neighbors in Cedar Rapids, Iowa are suffering with this terrible flood. Today one of our stores was collecting money to send bottled water to them. They are trying to get 3 semi loads full. It feels good to help in some small way even. They still need our prayers now that they have this terrible clean up to do. So many of them have lost their homes.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

I just got this in one of those mass mail emails and really felt it was fitting for DC right now....and any time for that matter. There was no author or anything so I hope it is okay to post it here.

A Keeper
Their marriage was good, their dreams focused. Their best friends lived barely a wave away. I can see them now, Dad in trousers, work shirt and a hat; and Mom in a house dress, lawn mower in one hand, and dish-towel in the other. It was the time for fixing things: a curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress. Things we keep.

It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing, re-heating leftovers, renewing; I wanted just once to be wasteful. Waste meant affluence. Throwing things away meant you knew there'd always be more.

But when my mother died, and I was standing in that clear morning light in the warmth of the hospital room, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't any more.

Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away...never to return. So... While we have it, it's best we love it... And care for it... And fix it when it's broken... And heal it when it's sick.

This is true: For marriage... And old cars... And children with bad report cards. Dogs and cats with bad hips... And aging parents... And grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it. Some things we keep, like a best friend that moved away or a classmate we grew up with.

There are just some things that make life important, like people we know who are special...And so, we keep them close!

Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I just got this in one of those mass mail emails and really felt it was fitting for DC right now....and any time for that matter. There was no author or anything so I hope it is okay to post it here.

A Keeper
Their marriage was good, their dreams focused. Their best friends lived barely a wave away. I can see them now, Dad in trousers, work shirt and a hat; and Mom in a house dress, lawn mower in one hand, and dish-towel in the other. It was the time for fixing things: a curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress. Things we keep.

It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing, re-heating leftovers, renewing; I wanted just once to be wasteful. Waste meant affluence. Throwing things away meant you knew there'd always be more.

But when my mother died, and I was standing in that clear morning light in the warmth of the hospital room, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't any more.

Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away...never to return. So... While we have it, it's best we love it... And care for it... And fix it when it's broken... And heal it when it's sick.

This is true: For marriage... And old cars... And children with bad report cards. Dogs and cats with bad hips... And aging parents... And grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it. Some things we keep, like a best friend that moved away or a classmate we grew up with.

There are just some things that make life important, like people we know who are special...And so, we keep them close!
wonderful, made me weepy.

babe
Old 06-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
Master Chef

I had to cut and paste it into Word to enlarge and read it, but very nice and worth the effort. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
Head Chef

Laurie, thanks so much for starting this thread and for posting the reminder that we all probably needed to hear. My life right now is unbelievably blessed, and I remind myself constantly that I did nothing to deserve this - it is a gift. When I tell people that, many of them say, "But of course you deserve it - you worked hard your whole life; you have had sadness and sickness and heartache, etc." And all of that is true. BUT - there are so many good people in this world (better people than me, many of them) that never have the opportunity to enjoy life the way I am doing now. It is so important to cherish each day and be grateful for it. Seems to me that Katie and Buck did just that, sitting on their front porch watching the fireflies and the kitties each night. I am so sorry they are going through this sadness. This has put all of us into a thoughtful and prayerful frame of mind. Thanks for helping me express that, Laurie.